Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Humorous moments - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Apr 24th, 2008 02:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

It got some chuckles on another board, please contribute your own that you might have gleaned from readings.

A battle so insignificant that it is in no way mentioned in the OR or in Generals reports. Those that participated and who came upon the scene after would never forget what they saw. The horror of it sent at least two women, in a carriage, who came upon the scene reeling. They would be forever scarred by the experience.

On a lovely spring Saturday in 1864 a blockhouse along the Tennessee River
stood careful watch over a crossing. Saturday was wash day and the Norwegian garrison, perhaps fifty men with a Sergeant in command of the post. The Norwegians of the US Army had garnered a well earned reputation as tough and hardy soldiers standing bravely on numerous occasions. This particular morning the sun rose and it promised to be a warm day with a light breeze.

It was the perfect day for laundry. And these boys desperately needed to launder their uniforms as some had accused them of smelling as bad as their precious Lutefisk. So early in the morning the command stepped out of the blockhouse and headed the fifty or so yards to the river stacked arms. They eagerly began the process of polluting the river with their wash and taking full advantage of the situation to bathe as well. Their Sergeant in full diligence positioned himself at the lip of the bank and watched his post.

That same morning a group of Rebel partisans were given a valuable piece of intelligence; a solitary blockhouse had been abandoned just that morning. A local child had seen them early in the morning form up and march away. Now was a chance to strike at the hated invaders. They would destroy the blockhouse thus preventing its re-occupation in the future. So off they went destiny and easy glory for the cause waited. Thus a set of truly tragic events began a story that would grow with each telling.

Those partisans quickly gathered and mounted their horses, moving with all speed the advanced upon the abandoned blockhouse with arson upon their minds. And upon arrival they were pleased to discover that their intelligence was indeed correct. The post had been hurriedly abandoned, cook pots and blankets were still in evidence but the garrison was gone. The gallant partisans began the preparations to fire the place.

The Sergeant watched a large group of the enemy swoop down upon his post. Fear and anger welled up inside of him as he gathered his men to retake their post. There was no time for preparations; they would have to retake the post by the bayonet. He gave his orders and his small command grimly nodded their understanding and agreement. There was no way they would allow their post to be taken cheaply, to do so would tarnish the honor of the Regiment; that could not be tolerated.

So the small command stood to at the lip of the river bank, grimly fixed bayonets and prepared themselves. With a quiet nod the Sergeant rose from their position with his command and they moved upon the enemy cavalry with a roar and an impetuous charge.

Out of the mist came a deep throated roar and the Rebel partisans saw a scene as though from hell itself. It was a trap! A Company, nay an entire Regiment was charging them steel bayonets glistening. But that was not the truly terrifying sight, it was their uniforms... or rather lack of them that caught the men so off guard. For you see only the man leading the charge wore a uniform; the men that followed him wore only drawers and what the good Lord had gifted them with. That was just too much, the partisans broke and ran. An unexpected bayonet assault is not a thing many men are willing to stand and accept and these men were no regulars in the Army of Tennessee but partisans.

The small garrison reached the safety of their blockhouse and praised the good Lord for their fortune, not a shot had been fired at them and the enemy had been so surprised by their audacious charge that they had run. But they would regroup and come for them. There could be no doubt of that. So the small garrison took to their posts and waited the inevitable attack... for the most part naked or near to it.

The partisans were humiliated, driven from their prize by men who lacked even uniforms. There must be redemption! So when one of the scouts reported a small column of infantry approaching it was decided to capture them. The enemy was deployed in column on a road, oblivious to the presence of this mounted force. Shock was decided to be the most effective weapon; they would conduct an old fashioned cavalry charge. The enemy could not resist a mounted charge. So they waited in the tree line for the hated foe to enter the kill zone; they would redeem themselves!

A company of men, proud members of the 15th Corps moved along the road at their traditional pace eating step. Easy garrison duty was ahead of them. A few days on the river away from the camp. Easy duty for men who deserved a break. These were the same men that had faced Cleburne on the slopes beside Mission Ridge, they had been given a bloody nose by that foe but the rest of the army had swept Bragg's army off the ridge like so much chaff. Every man in the column was a veteran of places like Shiloh, Iuka, Champions Hill and the siege of Vicksburg
. And cavalry did not frighten them, especially the ragtag force that emerged from the woods a hundred yards distant. A simply right face and a volley into their face shattered the charge. The skirmishers in front and behind the column added their fire shattering the charge and felling more than a dozen horses and men. The survivors pulled up, turned and ran.

They gathered a few prisoners, collected a couple wounded men and rapidly buried those that had begun their journey to be read in the book. The short distraction lasted less than an hour. On they marched to their posts. To their amusement the garrison emerged from their post to meet them and change the guard so to speak.

Oh what a sight it must have been as that carriage full of ladies crested the hill and saw such a site. Fifty men drawn up in ranks preparing to transfer the post to their relief; with but one man wearing a uniform. It was said the men heard the screams of shock and panic from a distance of more than four hundred yards. Oddly the carriage swung away from the blockhouse so quickly it nearly spilled its lovely cargo upon the soil. At breakneck speed the carriage left the vicinity of those terrifying naked Norsemen... though not half so shamed as them men who had broken and ran before the charge of that same Naked Norseman. But in fairness to those genteel ladies and brave partisans not many would willingly submit to an attack by a Naked Norwegian... the humanity of it!

The story made the rounds of the Army of the Tennessee in June of 64 which is where I first read of it. I have no doubt it was greatly embellished but as I have read of the incident in at least three different period sources over the years I have no doubt the basis at least is true. I too suspect members of the 15th Wisconsin... but that said many Regiments D Company was a nesting place for non English speaking immigrants.

There were block houses up and down the Tennessee River guarding various crossing points and ferries. I don't think it would really be possible to isolate exactly where it happened. It's one of those stories that stick w/ you.

Posted: Thu Apr 24th, 2008 03:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Didn't we just do this, Johan? Maybe it was on another board.

Pompeii, after Vesuvius is one thing. 50 naked Norwegians is quite another. I'm not surprised that the good ladies screamed and swooned. (It's not bragging if it's a fact.)

ole

Posted: Thu Apr 24th, 2008 03:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

johan-

Its amazing what some people can see from over 400 yards away. They must have had some very good field glasses.  :D

Posted: Thu Apr 24th, 2008 04:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

TD: Good field glasses are not required when viewing naked Norwegians from however many niles. No wonder the ladies swooned.

Well. Okay. That might be an exaggeration. But only a little.

ole

Posted: Thu Apr 24th, 2008 04:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

ole-

I guess I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge. I haven't viewed many naked Norwegians.  ;)

Posted: Thu Apr 24th, 2008 04:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

TD not many of us want to, though the ladies might be another matter. ;)

I've read 3-4 accounts of this and the range varies from 200 yards to a quarter mile. And IIRC one account failed to mention the ladies at all. I think it was one of those stories that "grew" w/ each telling.

Yeah Ole, CWT had such a favorable reponse I decided to amuse people on other boards. Besides it would be nifty if I came across another account of it. Particularly from the CS side of things!

Posted: Thu Apr 24th, 2008 05:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

You planning on re-enacting it one day?

(Sorry, couldn't resist - a fantastic tale which deserves to be true)

Posted: Thu Apr 24th, 2008 09:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Hell Nooooo! I know that as long as I can hold on to the ground and not fall up I'm not too drunk but I don't think I'll ever participate in a charge in the buff like that. Some of them reb ladies might invite me home. THen I'd have to explain things to my better half. ;)

Blame it on the Lutefisk!

Posted: Thu Apr 24th, 2008 11:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

THen I'd have to explain things to my better half.
Don't  want to miss that one.  One doesn't often get a chance to learn from the master. Even more so just to see the Ninja skillet in action.

ole

Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 02:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

if anybody knows if anyone has the guts to reenact this please let me know. i wanna be right up front!!!!!

Last edited on Fri Apr 25th, 2008 02:25 am by Dixie Girl

Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 04:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Right up front?   Heck.  I'd buy tickets for THAT reenactment.:P

Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 04:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i would to!!!

Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 04:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Moving on...(I rather regret what I started, and don't wish for any further night terrors)

Not particularly a battle story, or at all humorous to anyone except me, but I've always liked this excerpt from Wiley's 'Life of Billy Yank':

A Yank who slipped out of line at Corinth and came back after the fight with a story of being detailed to guard the water tank was mercilessly ridiculed by members of his company who afterward on the march would cry out 'Who guarded the water tank at the battle of Corinth?' and shout out the offender's name

I've often thought 'The Man who Guarded the Water Tank at Corinth' would be an ace name for a spy novel.

Posted: Thu May 1st, 2008 09:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
ShaniFaye

Mana: 

The vision my imagination makes of the OP is hilarious hehehe

I oft wonder if I'd been alive back then if such things would actually have offended me as a "lady"

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2008 02:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

well you would act like they offended you in front of the men and then you would get to talking with your friends and you would let them know that you really weren't offended at all. you would make them jealous cause you saw 50 naked norwegians running down the road and they didnt. my friends would totally hate me if i saw something like that cause i wouldnt shut up about it

Last edited on Thu Aug 7th, 2008 03:28 am by Dixie Girl

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2008 04:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
ole

Mana: 

Seems like a good place to let sleeping Norwegians lie. Well. Maybe a twich. Naah. Nevermind.

ole

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2008 05:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
ole

Mana: 

Know where you're coming from, Dixie Girl. Now, I need your Mom's email address.

Just kidding. If I had seen 50 naked Norwegian babes, I wouldn't tell my mom. And I'd lord it over my buddies who hadn't.

But it does make some visual imagination, doesn't it?

ole

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2008 05:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

yep sure does

You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2008 03:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

let me when you do it then. i might just need to take a visit to Charles City.

Current time is 08:54 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.6419 seconds (32% database + 68% PHP). 26 queries executed.