Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Those Armies Which We Admire... - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 06:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
ole

Mana: 

Real Civil War fruitcakes know that the Real Civil War was fought in the Western Theater.

ole

Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 11:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Amen Ole, In a strategic sense the CS was beaten in the west, every decisive strategic US victory was in the west. AoP & ANV were pretty much w/in 100 miles of their perspective capitals. AOT (US) marched to it's Capital, through the enemy capital, on the way from it's AO.

Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 01:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

I would agree that the ANV, and the to a certain degree, the AotP had a certain romantic quality.  They were definitely good fighters and the ANV had superior leadership - through most of the war.  I believe the two armies of Tennessee (Federal/Confederate) received so many votes due to the scholarship of those on this board.  Those that are well read, and well educated, understand how important the Western theater was to the Union success.  The men that fought in these armies are often unknowns compared to their counterparts in the east.  Obviously there is no right, or wrong, as this is an opinion based question, but it is clear to see there is a lot a familiarity with the western armies to those on this board.

Just my two cents...

Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 01:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
5fish

Mana: 

To Steel and Ole,

The real fruitcakes like us know the only reason the war lasted four years was because of the war in the east under the guise of Bobby Lee and the AoNV. The war in the west may have slowly gave the union it much welcome victory but the war in the east forced the union to work it way from west to east to gain their victory.

I will give accolades to the AoT(CS) for it fought gallantly and with much pride and perseverance but always came up short of victory. I will admit that those last months from may 1864 to December 1864 on army fought with more honor, grit and pride then those men from the west.

Last edited on Mon Aug 18th, 2008 02:50 pm by 5fish

Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 03:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

The AoT (Confederate) did fight tenaciously into Tennessee.  If there had been a better overall commander, they might have had success, as early as Columbia.  Letting Schofield move past them, to an entrenched line, at Franklin, was the worst thing that could happen to the Confederate army - at least until Hood sent wave after wave of great soldiers into the meat grinder at Franklin.  At this point in the war, the AoT (Confederate) did not have a strong leader.  Would it have been different if the recently promoted A.P. Stewart were to have taken over?  As it ended, Hood was beaten by himself.

Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 03:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

A few years ago, I would've gone with the ANV, because when I first became interested in the CW, it was thanks to Gettysburg. I learned a lot then about AotP and ANV, and of the two, the ANV was my favorite: Lee, Longstreet, etc. Not to discount the 20th Maine, but even new at the game, I thought the Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain myth was alittle romanticized (maybe because I cut my teeth on The Killer Angels, and Jeff Shaara's follow-ups). Now, though, after having read and discussed and studied a few years, I'm really enamored of the Western Theater, especially AoT. Maybe it's because much of the focus of other CW buffs I know is on the Eastern Theater; I like to broaden my horizons! I still have a lot to learn, but that's been my focus lately.

Pam

Posted: Thu Aug 21st, 2008 02:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
5fish

Mana: 

I think all the fans of the AoT(CS) just like to Cub fans just in love with the lovable loser image. While the fans of the AoNV are like Cowboy fans just in love with the most popular image. The fans the Union armies must be like Yankee fans just love that Evil Empire image. 

just rummaging around a few thoughts...

Posted: Fri Aug 22nd, 2008 04:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

One thing that appeals to me about the Army of Tennessee is that they fought all over the continent just as Napoleon's army fought all over Europe. They served in Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. And since John Hunt Morgan served with the army at one time I guess you could even include the states of Indiana and Ohio as well.  At one point or another they had regiments from every Confederate state and every border state except Maryland and Delaware. Theirs was a truly quixotic adventure and I think from a purely tactical standpoint they did much better than they are typically given credit for. The Army of Northern Virginia on the other hand pretty much stayed in their own little corner of Virginia.

Last edited on Fri Aug 22nd, 2008 05:01 am by The Iron Duke

Posted: Sat Aug 23rd, 2008 02:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
5fish

Mana: 

I surprise know brought a smaller less know armies of the Union and confederate armies. I was thinking like the Army of the James which early history is not so prideful but ended on a high note, being the first to enter Richmond and helping chase and catch Lee's army. The Army of the Gulf and the taking of Port Hudson days after the Vicksburg fell.

Posted: Sun Aug 24th, 2008 12:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

5Fish, there is another interesting one too: The CSA Department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. It wasn't just a backwash for transferred generals and those who had fallen out of favor or crossed Davis,  Lee or Longfellow.  Even if that were an accurate discription, this Department did see some important action, even in northern Florida. 

Posted: Mon Aug 25th, 2008 04:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
5fish

Mana: 

CleburneFan wrote: 5Fish, there is another interesting one too: The CSA Department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. It wasn't just a backwash for transferred generals and those who had fallen out of favor or crossed Davis,  Lee or Longfellow.  Even if that were an accurate discription, this Department did see some important action, even in northern Florida. 

I am from and live in the Great State of Florida but from the little I know about my states history in the civil war there were never any battles where more then few several thousand men fought in. My state does seem to be the backwater place during the civil war... 

I am poorly versed in my states histroy during the civil war...

The only question in Florida that counts are you a "Gator" or a "Nole" because football season is upon us....

Off to practice my tomahawk chop...

Posted: Mon Aug 25th, 2008 05:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
5fish

Mana: 

I ran across a few other armies we have forgotten:

Army of the Potomac(CS) Beauregard

Army of the Shenandoah(CS) Johnston

Army of Norhteastern Virginia(U) McDowell

These were the first armies to meet in Battle at the First Bull RUN. How could we all have forgotten??

Posted: Thu Sep 22nd, 2011 04:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
sgtredleg
Life NRA, CW Trust, VFW member

Mana: 

I'll go with the Army of Northern Virgina hands down.
An Army's role is to fight and win. I find it amazing what victories the ANV were able to obtain against the overwhelming Northern Machine opposing them! Without General Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia the Confederacy probably wouldn't have lasted a year. (my opinion).
I really don't have much of a view concerning the Yankee Armies. If it weren't for Grants determination and Shermans Total Warfare it would have taken them quite a bit longer to render the South useless for warfare.

Posted: Thu Sep 22nd, 2011 08:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

ole wrote: Real Civil War fruitcakes know that the Real Civil War was fought in the Western Theater.

ole

Try convincing folks who only go by textbooks of that. Seems during the war itself the Eastern Theater got more attention (cough, Richmond, cough, DC, cough) than the Western Theater and today it seems that's all the textbooks want to focus on. Shiloh and Fort Donelson might get the biggest mention as far as the west goes with Vicksburg being mentioned as falling the day after Gettysburg. Personally I think you have the right idea

Posted: Thu Sep 22nd, 2011 02:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
Mark

Mana: 

I'm going to go with the Army of the James. It had the deck stacked against it from the start and did about as well as its leadership could take it. Plus it had a lot of USCT, which is my speciality.

Mark

You have chosen to ignore lancejesus. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Dec 24th, 2012 06:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
Insecurity

Mana: 

Yet another vote for Army of the Tennessee, under grant. The record they hold as a fighting army is amazing, and would be difficult to top even now.

~Insecurity

Posted: Tue Dec 25th, 2012 02:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
sgtredleg
Life NRA, CW Trust, VFW member

Mana: 

My vote is the Army of Northern Virginia as an all time favorite, followed by the Army of the Potomac.

Posted: Tue Dec 25th, 2012 05:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Army of the Cumberland is my favorite. I had a few ancestors in it and it had a pretty good combat record....Perryville...Stones River....Tullahoma Campaign...Chickamauga....the grand charge up Missionary Ridge....the Atlanta Campaign.

Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2012 04:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Insecurity wrote: Yet another vote for Army of the Tennessee, under grant. The record they hold as a fighting army is amazing, and would be difficult to top even now.

~Insecurity

second this.

The AotT campaigned from

Fort Donelson to

Shiloh to

Vicksburg to

Chattanooga to

Atlanta to

Savannah, through the

Carolinas to

Durham.

matchless in terms of shoe leather, campaigns, states and miles.

it is a soldier's army, under Grant, Sherman, McPherson, Howard and Logan...

Current time is 03:35 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4286 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 29 queries executed.