Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

A chance to edgucate on the civl war - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Aug 31st, 2008 04:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
44th VA INF

Mana: 

My teacher has asked me to help teach the class on the civil the battles really is wat she want me to help with i dont want to use the text book because it relly dose not get into full detail on the battles this is for 7th grade so i was wondering wat i should do

Last edited on Sun Aug 31st, 2008 04:29 am by 44th VA INF

Posted: Tue Sep 2nd, 2008 12:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Talk about the missed opportunities of the battles! Kids love it when adults foul up! :-)

Posted: Tue Sep 2nd, 2008 12:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

Do what I do. I give first person presentaions. Make up a charcter and describe the story of a battle a seen through there eyes. Like this one of my great-great-great-great grandfather I do, except its about his whole life.

[size=The name is Henry, Henry Humphries to be exact. I was born on Christmas Day in the year 1815. I was a Christmas present to my family so to speak. My father was William my mother was Cinthia. Her birth name was Cinthia Manning. I was born on the family farm in good ole Kentucky. When I was twenty-one years old I married a fine lady form Kentucky on August 13,1837 in Chariton County, Missouri, her name was Elizabeth Ashby, she was the daughter of Jesse Ashby and Sally (Lucas) Ashby. We had our first child William, in May 24,1838 in Missouri]. After that we had a total of ten children including William. They were as follows: Of course there was William in 1838, then there was Syntha in 1840, Adaline in 1841, Benjamin in 1843,  Mary in 1846, Larkin in 1848,  James in 1851, Arminda in 1852, Elizabeth in 1855, and last but certainly not least Josephine in 1857. All of these children were born in Missouri some in Carroll County of that state and some in the Town of Bosworth of that County. In 1850 me and my nephew Benjamin Ashby went to El Dorado County, California in search of gold if you wanna know if we had any luck well what do you think? Well all you need to know is that we came home to Missouri. Well when the war broke out we hadn't the slightest clue as what to do. Neither my sons nor me liked the Yankee Invader coming South telling us what to do. So with Dixie we stood. I figured I was too old to fight. Or so I thought. I was 45 years old. My son William had married a women named Louisey Winfrey in 1858 and already had one child. My grandson. His name was Harrison. My daughter Syntha had married a man named Clark McClary. He was good man. Well my son Benjamin came to me on day when I was working in the barn. He told me his intentions of joining a Regiment. So I went along with him. He went into town and enlisted in CSA army, 11th Co. Col. F.L. Robertson's Reg't, Missouri State Guard. F.L. Robertson was the colonel commanding a regiment raised for service in the Missouri State Guard, which had not been permanently organized when we was captured, Dec. 19, 1861, near Milford, Mo., while enroute from Grand Pass, Saline County, Mo., to join Gen. Sterling Price's army. My son and I were sent to Jefferson Barrack, Federal prison, St. Louis, Missouri. I decided to take the oath of allegiance on January 18,1862 I was 47. There were other ways I could help Dixie with out fighting. It was better than being in a Prison Camp doing nothing, taking orders from Yankees. Mo son saw differently, so he stayed, but then decided the same. He signed the oath on February 18,1862. We went home. After that we did just about anything to support Dixie. He cheered on General Turner Ashby who was actually a distant cousin of my Wife Elizabeth, until he was killed. When the war was over. I felt a senses of relief but sadness still. I died at the age of 58 on December 6,1873 in  Bosworth, Carroll County, Missouri. I was buried in Winfrey Cemetery. I was only a few days short on my 59th birthday.

[size=Copywrite of me, dont noone dare use it with out permission ya hear.]

Posted: Tue Sep 2nd, 2008 12:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

Darn It Duble Post Sorry!

Last edited on Tue Sep 2nd, 2008 12:54 am by Reb till death

Posted: Tue Sep 2nd, 2008 01:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

You really can't discuss every battle or even most battles because there are just too many to discuss in a reasonable amount of time. Also, many of your classmates most likely do not share your enthusiasm for Civil War history. Thus it will behoove you to find a way to interest them.

I like Reb to Death's idea of acting out a part of a Civil War character or Crazy Delaware's idea of Civil War mistakes. Or you could choose one amazing battle that is truly unusual but not really complex to explain such as the Battle of the Crater.  

Current time is 09:14 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2616 seconds (17% database + 83% PHP). 24 queries executed.