Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > What Was the Single, Worst Civilian Atrocity in the Civil War?

What Was the Single, Worst Civilian Atrocity in the Civil War? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Nov 17th, 2008 01:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

PvtClewell wrote: CleburneFan wrote:

And just wait to see what happens when the men from Outer Space arrive!:shock:

"Klaatu barada nikto"

A new version of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is coming out soon. Jennifer Connelly and Keannu Reeves star. A trailer of the movie may be seen at You Tube.

Just have to note in passing how much the "language" above resembles Kiswahili in  especially the spelling and word structure.

Last edited on Mon Nov 17th, 2008 01:05 pm by CleburneFan

Posted: Mon Nov 17th, 2008 02:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
ashbel

Mana: 

I would vote for the Gainesville, Texas hanging of 42 men in October of 1862.  This was organized public murder on a mass scale. 

Posted: Mon Nov 17th, 2008 04:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
ole

Mana: 

PvtClewell wrote: ole wrote:
The new avatar is up? Doesn't show on my screen.

Ole

Yes it is. You appear to be a very likable fellow. Is that true or is it an old picture? ;) (Just pickin with you)

Lies! All lies!

Ole

Posted: Mon Nov 17th, 2008 07:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
David White

Mana: 

Looks like he's still using Santa Claus to me ;)

Posted: Mon Nov 17th, 2008 11:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
ole

Mana: 

Please keep the thread going, fellow freakazoids, I'm making a list of a lot of new things I need to look up; e.g., the Rape of Athens.

Ole

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 12:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

hey ole, so its only in some pictures that you look like Colonel Sanders then?? :D:P

Last edited on Tue Nov 18th, 2008 12:05 am by Dixie Girl

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 02:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

The Roswell Women is another atrocity this time done by the Union. The women were doing military work but still. They were factory workers making uniforms.

Another atrocity was loading all of those men on the Sultana, overloading it leading to the explosion and death of many men who had survived Southern Prison camps. In many ways that was the worst of the worst . The war was over they were going home.
Susan

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 02:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I don't know if this counts as an atrocity but it certainly makes you question the noble romantic view of the war.

http://www.historynet.com/immortal-600-prisoners-under-fire-at-charleston-harbor-during-the-american-civil-war.htm

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 03:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
ole

Mana: 

hey ole, so its only in some pictures that you look like Colonel Sanders then??
Girl: It comes and goes. Right now it's growing and will likely do so until about June next year.  Then it comes off until the fall. I only do it to irritate Dear One. I'd grow my hair longer, but it is very fine and is uncontrollable without axle grease, and I can only push things so far. So when it has irritated the both of us to a certain point, I get my summer cut: 1/2 inch. (That's my annual haircut.)

Ole

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 03:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
ole

Mana: 

I don't know if this counts as an atrocity but it certainly makes you question the noble romantic view of the war.

One might chalk it up as such, but this thread specifically said civilian.

Ole

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 04:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Regardless, it's an incident that should be added to your list.

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 01:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Have added it right next to the Vicksburg Court House incident.

Ole

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 03:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
David White

Mana: 

Vicksburg Court House incident

?

Posted: Tue Nov 18th, 2008 09:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
54th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

One thing that irritates me somewhat is the use of the term "Atrocity" at the drop of a hat. Frankly; when compared to those real atrocities of WW2... no atrocities happened in the Civil War. Nothing comes even close; and when compared to other conflicts across history the ACW is still grossly lacking of the brutalities that seem outright prevelant in such conflicts.

Posted: Wed Nov 19th, 2008 12:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
Mr Hess53

Mana: 

War is an atrocity

Posted: Wed Nov 19th, 2008 02:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote: One thing that irritates me somewhat is the use of the term "Atrocity" at the drop of a hat. Frankly; when compared to those real atrocities of WW2... no atrocities happened in the Civil War. Nothing comes even close; and when compared to other conflicts across history the ACW is still grossly lacking of the brutalities that seem outright prevelant in such conflicts.
The atrocities that have taken place in several countries in Africa since the early 1970s and accelerating up to today are the worst of all time for sheer brutality and unimgainable numbers of men, women and children involved. Worse, there appears to be no let up and no solution.

Last edited on Wed Nov 19th, 2008 02:32 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Wed Nov 19th, 2008 03:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I don't know all the rules of engagement that applied during the Civil War, but am asking---not argung---the Charleston 600 as POWS were non-combatants, but were they classified as civilians? Does a POW automatically become a civilian or does he enter a kind of limbo between civilian and active duty military and if is the latter case, what rules of engagement apply to him?

Sherman also ran into a similar situation with Confederate  POWS outside Savannah in 1864 when he employed them to find and disarm land mines laid by Hardee's forces.

This is also a question about civilian staus of the returning ex- POWS returning to their homes on the Sultana. Were they, in fact, civilians at the time of the explosion or were they still military?

Posted: Wed Nov 19th, 2008 06:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
58th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fan when I posted the Sultana explosion I wasn't thinking it was Civilian atrocities that had been posted. But I think they were headed home so they would have been Civilian soon if not already . I just think it is one of those little known stories that got lost due to timing .

Posted: Wed Nov 19th, 2008 08:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
59th Post
calcav1

Mana: 

The men aboard the Sultana had not been mustered out and were still active duty soldiers when the explosion occured. I had the pleasure of hearing Ed Bearss give a talk on the incident.

One of the Federal officers sent to the City Jail in Charleston was Major General George Stoneman. The chaplain of the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry, Charles A. Humphreys, was among 300 hundred held in the jail under the fire of Union guns, along with his Major, William H. Forbes, the first president of AT&T. Chaplain Humphreys gives a stirring account of his imprisonment in his memoir In Field, Camp, Hospital and Prison in the Civil War 1863-1865.

Portal to Hell:Military Prisons of the Civil War by Lonnie Speer has a good account of both sides of the Immortal 600. Lt. William Glazier of the 26th NY Cavalry wrote of the Charleston jail, "The prisoners constantly wear a forlorn and haggard look owing in great measure to starvation and exposure to danger...Constantly under fire by day and night...many have become hopelessly insane while others have been incapacitated for all the duties of life hereafter.

Tom

Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 02:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
60th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Obviously(?), the Sultana was an accident rather than an atrocity...

Current time is 09:21 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > What Was the Single, Worst Civilian Atrocity in the Civil War?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2152 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 29 queries executed.