Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Good luck Doc! - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Dec 5th, 2008 05:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Doc mentioned in a thread now closed that Saturday is his test (to be a GB guide IIRC) Doc, best of luck to you, and please let us know how it goes!

Posted: Fri Dec 5th, 2008 06:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
TimK

Mana: 

Good luck, Doc!

Posted: Fri Dec 5th, 2008 07:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Joe, you beat me to it! Best of luck, Doc!

Pam

Posted: Fri Dec 5th, 2008 07:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

Good luck, Doc! You'll have to let me know how the test looks; I'm still thinking of taking it myself.

Posted: Fri Dec 5th, 2008 08:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ole

Mana: 

Never mind the luck, Doc. Study your butt off and learn what you need to know. Luck has nothing to do with it. I wish you well.

Ole

Posted: Fri Dec 5th, 2008 11:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Best of luck! Hope it goes well!

When it's over, feel free to test us on some of the questions.

Posted: Sat Dec 6th, 2008 01:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Best wishes for success Doc.

Posted: Sat Dec 6th, 2008 03:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Go for it, Doc!

Posted: Sat Dec 6th, 2008 04:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

NO worries, he'll do fine.

Posted: Sat Dec 6th, 2008 06:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ole

Mana: 

I'm not worried about Doc's passing the test with colors flying. I just wish I was there and doing the same thing. Cursed flyover country!

Ole

Posted: Sun Dec 7th, 2008 12:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Thanks to all for the best wishes on the test. Have to say Ed prepared a very fair exam. What a great coincidence, the guide test/my birthday weekend (today). For the last 4 years we've come over to DC to spend the weekend. So I got up at 5am yesterday drove up to GB for the test. Had some time before the test so drove around the wheatfield/stoney hill/peach orchard area at dawn. Probably the best views I've ever seen up there. Not a car or person in sight. Also the park service has cleared more trees in that area so one has a much better view than before. Actually saw 2 monuments which were on the test - Hamptons Battery, Irish Brigades. Irish was easy but had a little problem with figuring out whether it was Hamptons or Ricketts. Knew Hamptons was at the Peach Orchard, Ricketts at Cemetery Hill, so picked Hamptons because of the background. One I missed was the 2nd Mass. Look at it, no distinguishing features, etc. It's important because it's the first on the battlefield (think they're incorrect because the 1st Minn in the nat. cemetery was first, but I'm just being picky).

Around 130 of the 150 showed up on that bone freezing morning, 12 on my car thermometer. Many were there like me for the first time, some their second, third and I even met a guy there for the 4th time. What a great cross section of individuals - women (no disrespect intended), docs, dentists, professors, teachers, factory workers, etc. Don't think I had any problem with passing (a very rough guess would be in the 80-90% range). The problem is they take only the top 20 to move on to the tour test. That's where I 'm not that confident.

Actually enjoyed taking the test. Would reccommend it to anyone wishing to test their knowledge of Gettysburg, the civil war. My problem areas were other civil war battles, surprisingly all in the west, and authors of civil war books. The map section was easy, monuments fair. Had a little problem with when they asked to identify the 15-20 photographs of individuals. There were 3 essay questions (was told by the guides who monitored us that Ed only looks at the essays unless there's a tie for one of the 20 spots) One word of advice, which is repeated multiple times by GBLB guides, blogs, etc. - KNOW YOUR ORDER OF BATTLE, FORWARD - BACKWORD- UPSIDEDOWN. They say don't worry about the regimental level. I'm glad I ignored that advice.

Last nite I made a file of all the questions, monuments, etc that I could remember being on the test. Plan on taking it again in 2 yrs, if I don't move on. Will continue as long as it's fun.

Here's a sample question - the red circle is the badge worn by the CSA 1st Corp, 1st Div. True or False.

Doc C

Posted: Sun Dec 7th, 2008 02:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Happy Birthday Doc.
Susan

Posted: Sun Dec 7th, 2008 02:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Thanks Susan
Check out the article below the pres. elects article
http://civilwarlibrarian.blogspot.com/

Doc C

Posted: Sun Dec 7th, 2008 08:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Doc C wrote:

Here's a sample question - the red circle is the badge worn by the CSA 1st Corp, 1st Div. True or False.

Doc C

(I'm assuming your sample question is not a rhetorical one and that you actually wanted one of us to give an answer. Sooooo......)

False. Unless the Iron Brigade suddenly started fighting for the Confederacy.

The funny thing is that I was first made aware of corps badges years ago while learning to play Avalon Hill's grid game on Gettysburg.

Pvt. William Clewell wore the red crescent of the First Division of the 11th Corps.

Hope you did well enough to qualify as an LBG, Doc. Do they always give the test in December?

Posted: Sun Dec 7th, 2008 08:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Pvt.

That's exactly as it was worded on the test. Wonder if it caught anyone not paying attention. Every 2 years and only if theres a need for more guides.

Doc C

Current time is 12:58 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3488 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.