Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Springfield's Lincoln Museum - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Feb 2nd, 2006 02:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Cap

Mana: 

A story in today's CWi (The Civil War in Four Minutes) made me think of my visit to the Lincoln Museum in Springfield, IL shortly after it opened. Prior to our visit, I had heard and read a lot of negative comments about the museum being to high tech and too much like Disney World. We couldn't have been more pleased however during our visit. The displays were numerous and very well done, many in the traditional style you would find in any other museum.

As far as the use of computers and other "high-tech" displays, again we were blown away (almost literally in one theater by cannon fire). I also feel that such displays get the younger generation intersted in history and that is never a bad thing. The "Civil War in Four Minutes" and "The Ghosts of the Library" were favorites of ours. We are lucky enough to live only an hour south of Springfield and plan to visit it again this winter.

I know there are several members on this board from the Land of Lincoln. If any of you have been to the museum, I would love to hear what you thought. If you haven't been, I would recommend a visit.

Cap   

Posted: Fri Feb 3rd, 2006 08:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Cap-

I too was hoping someone would coment regarding this museum. I'd be curious to hear other opinions.

I can remember when the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg first opened. It received the same sort of criticism - too "high-tech" and snazzy. We LOVED it. Flat-screen plasma TV's, the latest in robotics, etc. I understand that many of us have very fond memories of the old-style static type museum, and they certainly have their place. But if the study of the war is to maintain its relevance, then it does have to attract the younger audience. If we stay stuck in the old ways, it'll only be us old farts paying attention. Just my 2 cents...

Posted: Mon Feb 27th, 2006 11:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
GenHood

Mana: 

I live about 1 1/2 hours from Springfield, and plan to visit the Lincoln Museum this spring.  Have heard  a lot of good things, and will be glad to give my impressions after my visit. 

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Current time is 12:27 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1399 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 26 queries executed.