Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Lincoln Whitehouse - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Dec 19th, 2008 01:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

The Lincoln Whitehouse is currently on cspan.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Dec 19th, 2008 04:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Doc how was it ?  Of course tonight I was not in the room of the hotel to see it.  I watched the introduction with the man who wrote the history of the White House and it was quite good.  Would have loved to see the Lincoln White House presentation.  Was there any new information that was surprising ?

Susan

Posted: Fri Dec 19th, 2008 03:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I caught the last 15 minutes, which was basically just H. Holzer taking phone questions. Kudo's to Laura Bush however, who seems to have done stellar work in reconstituting the Lincoln Bedroom to it's period look.

By the way, very good website on Lincoln's White House:

http://www.mrlincolnswhitehouse.org/  

Posted: Fri Dec 19th, 2008 04:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Especially enjoyed the segment on Lincoln's get away home, the soldiers home. Didn't realize it was so close to the White House. Will add it to my have to see list for my frequent trips into DC. Tried numerous times to call in, wanted to ask Holzer what he thought of Lincoln's relationship with Joshua Speed, but couldn't get through.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Dec 19th, 2008 05:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

One of the field trips we made during the Civil War Institute last year was to the Lincoln Cottage. Fascinating.

We made a trip there two years ago while the place was being renovated (and we couldn't get in, but only look through the windows). Then, last year, we went again just a month or two after the place was opened.

http://www.lincolncottage.org/

It's sparsely furnished, but in one or two rooms there are sections showing original plaster and lath work.

The cottage is situated on a hill, which is the reason the Lincolns (and several other presidents) used it to escape the humid Washington DC summers. There is national cemetery a block or two away, which Lincoln roamed, in contemplation by the deaths of soldiers.

The cottage, incidentally, is just a short ride from Fort Stevens, another landmark worth considering, even if it is now reduced to one city block.

Current time is 04:51 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1841 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 24 queries executed.