Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > What Civil War battle or campaign do you think should be made into a movie?

What Civil War battle or campaign do you think should be made into a movie? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Mar 20th, 2012 02:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
61st Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

The only book I have read about the terrorist is called "The Secret Six," by Otto Scott
along with other historic reading. Once a terrorist always a terrorist!!#%$#

Posted: Wed Mar 21st, 2012 12:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
62nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Mark wrote: Ibuttery, I think the key though is when you said, "in today's terms." I think we need to be very cautious in labeling Brown (and any other historical figure) with an anachronistic term. I read an interesting book last week called, "The South versus the South" by William Freehling that put John Brown in the context of a 19th century filibuster. I must confess that I have never thought of him in that way.

Mark

If filibuster meant destroying the nation and carving out a new nation, then I guess that fit's Brown and his backers.

Posted: Wed Mar 21st, 2012 01:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
63rd Post
Mark

Mana: 

Freehling's definition: "In the 1850's, 'filibusters'...denoted organized, private swashbuckling crews who inspired tyranny's victims to free themselves." ~The South versus the South pg. 58

I think that is a fair assessment of what Brown thought about himself, though, taking Freehling's style into consideration, this quote is half tongue in cheek.

Mark

Posted: Wed Mar 21st, 2012 01:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
64th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Fair enough. Though given how many slaves actually flocked to Brown's cause, I'm not sure he was as inspirational as he wanted to be. We can, of course, say that the slave owners prevented them from joining Brown. But I seem to recall that he was expecting them to rise up to overthrow their shackles and join him. Given the aftermath of previous slave rebellions, I'm not sure how many would have.

But personally, Brown was a terrorist.

Posted: Tue Jul 24th, 2012 10:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
65th Post
JKHolman

Mana: 

TimK wrote: I would like to see a movie about either Shiloh or Fredericksburg.
Journey to Shiloh (1968)

Yet I am thinking you would want a film on this battle more along the lines of the event itself.  The aforementioned film is mostly about the group of friends from the Lone Star State.  The last time I saw JTS was on television in the mid-'70's.

It would be great to see such personalities as:

Albert Sydney Johnston - one whale of a man

Sam Grant - facing adversity and being remolded to become the President's
                   champion of the War.

Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard - the hero of Sumter and argueably the finest
                                                           planner in the Confederate Army.  What a
                                                           name.

People would get a chance to see that the War between the States was not exclusively in Virginia.  We are talking Deep South, something that should hold some appeal for you boys from Alabama and Mississippi (did I spell your state right?).

cheers
JKHolman

Last edited on Tue Jul 24th, 2012 03:38 pm by JKHolman

Posted: Wed Jul 25th, 2012 05:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
66th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I think most folks think the war was Virginia, Pennsylvania, SC, and Georgia. And maybe Maryland, think they may be torn on whether Antietm (Sharpsburg) was a Maryland or Virginia battle.

Edit: Let me clarify. Most being folks who only have to learn about the war in school amd don't go much beyond that.

Last edited on Wed Jul 25th, 2012 05:41 am by Hellcat

Posted: Tue Aug 7th, 2012 04:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
67th Post
paulze

Mana: 

I would say the Appomattox campaign perhaps based on Bruce Catton's Stillness at Appomattox.

You have chosen to ignore Savez. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Aug 23rd, 2012 10:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
69th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

I would like to see the Western Theater get some movie time. Battle of Perryville....even the Shiloh vets complained about how fierce the fighting was there. Chattanooga and Chickamauga campaign would make an excellent movie also.

Posted: Sun Sep 16th, 2012 01:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
70th Post
Crazyhorse30

Mana: 

Antietam needs to be made into a movie and given the same treatment as Ron Maxwell's GETTYSBURG. Given that the actual fighting is contained to a day, I think it would be more manageable and the storyline would flow quite seamlessly. Title it along the lines of "Twelve Hours of Hell: The Battle of Antietam". The story could be told through the eyes of Hood, Burnside, and Meagher, whom is a fascinating character never before portrayed on-screen.

Current time is 11:27 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4   
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > What Civil War battle or campaign do you think should be made into a movie?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4180 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 29 queries executed.