Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Civil war cavalry - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Mar 14th, 2009 05:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
hogz4

Mana: 

We all know that the Union cavalry seemed to catch up to their Confederate counterparts at Brandy Station and Gettysburg. But my question is did the Union cavalry in the western theater ever catch up to their counterparts? I live in Arkansas and have studdied that theater and in my opinion neither side used their cavalry well. Although the Confederates seemed to have the better commanders.

Posted: Sat Mar 14th, 2009 05:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Yes and no, depends on what unit and where. Forrest was Forrest but Wheeler, as one example, got his heiny handed to him a couple times. Greirson's raid, Wilson's Selma campaign etc.

In a lot of ways it was two different wars, the fighting in the East w/ the AoP & ANV then the fighting out west. A whole different environment and a different class of soldiers IMO, on both sides. As an an example compare the fighting around Atlanta to anything in the eastern theatre or the Red River Campaign and Banks Grand Retreat. Or if you want to have a lot of fun follow AJ Smith's Division on a map after they left the AoT. Nobody in the eastern theatre even remotely compares to that kind of marching by "foot cav." And also one cannot overlook the actions against the Native Americans in the "Dakota Uprising."

Current time is 12:34 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1387 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 24 queries executed.