Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

North & South Magazine - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu May 14th, 2009 02:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

For many years I thought N&S was the best Civil War print magazine out there. Topical and current, well-edited with a good selection of articles, both battle and social related. From my own dealings with them, I knew that the glue holding it together was not the owner, Keith Poulter, but the editor Terry Johnston (known affectionately as TJ to some of us). When TJ got sacked I knew it was not only unwarranted but done in a sleazy way (by e-mail as I recall). I knew the N&S wasn't long for this world. Sadly, it appears I was right, and I so wish I wasn't. I encourage all of you to hustle over to this blog post on member Eric Wittenburg's blog. What a damn shame.

Posted: Thu May 14th, 2009 07:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

I knew something was up when their map maker quit on them and they did not replace him. It's a shame this is happening the quality had been going down and I think CWT has made some in roads to recapturing their crown as the best CW magazine.

Javal I didn't see where it is necessarily a failed enterprise, yet you and Eric both imply it. Did I miss something?

Posted: Thu May 14th, 2009 07:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

David,

Don't get me wrong, I hope Civil War Society can save it. I just don't think so. You have to understand how much ill-will has been formented over the last year, both between N&S and readers, and N&S and writers and authors. Paid-for issues either haven't been received or received weeks and months late. Authors haven't been paid according to contracts. If they can recover from that, more power to them. When the owner states the following, I think it says it all:

"This of course leaves the shareholders–myself included–with a corporation that is effectively an empty shell, albeit one with less debt than before. Our shares at this point are worthless (irrespective of whether the magazine stays with N&S Inc. or goes to the Civil War Society).

Posted: Thu May 14th, 2009 10:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
David White

Mana: 

Okay I did miss that quote, too bad. It does explain my intuition that something was amiss... Sort of like the Obama administration ;)

Posted: Thu May 14th, 2009 11:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Is this the same Keith Poulter who has been associated with the war-gaming design community for many years?

Posted: Thu May 14th, 2009 11:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

That's a shame as North and South, along with Blue and Gray, were the only quality ACW magazines out there. Their articles actually contained originality. I will never waste my money on CWT.

Posted: Fri May 15th, 2009 03:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
David White

Mana: 

Iron Duke:

Don't write CWT off completely, they hit a very low spot a few years ago about the time of N&S's zenith. But they have improved very much in the past couple of years.

Posted: Sat May 16th, 2009 12:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Blue and Grey and some of it's driving tour instructions helped get me un-lost in Mississippi last year.

Posted: Tue May 19th, 2009 07:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I dropped my subscription to North & South two years ago as I was so disappointed in the issue that came out right before time to renew. It use to be a great source of information . Blue and Gray is the best of the magazines with the maps and guides to driving tours. Taking the Perryville and Richmond ones with me next month to a muster in Bardstown.

Posted: Wed May 27th, 2009 07:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

It is extremely unfortunate what has happened to North & South. I'm paid through Volume 13, so I hope it improves in the upcoming issues.

Current time is 06:20 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3457 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 25 queries executed.