Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

best of my Chickamauga/Chattanooga pics - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 6th, 2010 01:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

no I have not been there...it sounds pretty cool though. The Sibley campaign is one of the more interesting campaigns of the TM theater. Especially Sibley himself. Have you read "Confederate General of the West-Henry Hopkins Sibley" by Jerry Thompson? In addition to an excellent biography it is also a well written study of Sibley's NM campaign

Posted: Tue Apr 6th, 2010 01:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

here's most of my NM pics included many of Fort Union-one of Sibley's ultimate objectives. There are also the Glorietta Pass pics...such as they are LOL!

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/New%20Mexico%202009/?albumview=slideshow

Posted: Tue Apr 6th, 2010 02:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I read it and also heard him speak at the West Coast Civil War Round Table several years ago.  He was wonderful. 

I tell the kids at the Drum all the time about Sibley.  That one of the reason's our military post was built in Wilmington California was to protect the area from Confederates from capturing the harbor.  I always tell them we are lucky Sibley was stopped at Glorietta.   

When I took the train east and went though Apache Pass we had a park volunteer tell us about the battle.  He said it was a minor battle that didn't really affect the war .  I said just loud enough that many heard me .  NOT important?  Just stopped the Confederates from heading to California to capture the Harbor.  I was asked about what I said and to tell them more about it .  I did my lecture on the Drum Barracks for the people near me that had asked.  One guy says you must work at the Drum.  I said yes I do.

Susan

Posted: Tue Apr 6th, 2010 02:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I had forgotten how beautiful in it's own way Fort Union is .  I just remember the loneliness I felt when I was there. Thinking of what it must have been like to be a woman there stationed with her husband.   There is a connection to the Drum Barracks and Fort Union.  The commander of the Drum Carleton became the commander of Fort Union . 

Posted: Tue Apr 6th, 2010 09:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
rangerrebew

Mana: 

I know that's right!  My kids were both born in Texas when we lived there 25 years ago.  Unfortunatley, that was before I got really interested in the Civil War so I didn't take advantage of it.  Sad for me.

Current time is 11:33 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1860 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 25 queries executed.