Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > What battlefields will you be visiting this spring & summer?

What battlefields will you be visiting this spring & summer? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Mar 14th, 2006 07:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Warmer weather will be on us before you know it, and that brings the inevitable question: what battlefields do you expect to visit this touring season? I have ulterior motives for asking. I've always wanted to do a comprehensive guide on places to eat, drink and sleep when visiting battlefields, so I'd like to see which fields will be visited and try to determine if we could do it as a sort of "community project".

As for me, it will be more of the same - Franklin, Shiloh, Ft. Donelson, Parker's Crossroads and Corinth. Would love to hear which other ones will be visited....

Posted: Tue Mar 14th, 2006 07:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Notch
Neutral Revisionist

Mana: 

I will be hitting Wilson's Creek again, Lone Jack (it's endangered to be re-zoned commerical), Pea Ridge (Elkhorn Tavern) and if the funds hold out, down to Ft Pillow.

Posted: Tue Mar 14th, 2006 09:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
LTBunten

Mana: 

Just got back from Gettysburg yesterday and boy are my legs tired!! I bought an audio self-guided tour and did the ranger guided tour where he drove my car (it is now $45 for that). I took some great pictures and really learned alot. Thanks to all for your tips, I had a really excellent weekend.

Paula

Posted: Tue Mar 14th, 2006 09:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

When you all start talking about the battlefields you are going to visit that is when I wish I didn't live on the left coast.  Of course this week watching the storm news I am glad I do. 

If any I am hoping to get over to Arizonia sometime soon and visit Picacho Peak .  Not a major battlefield , but to the men killed there it was major.  Need to go before it gets too warm. It is near Tucson. 

Posted: Wed Mar 15th, 2006 02:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Harry

Mana: 

They just had their reenactment at Picacho Peak this past weekend. I grew up in that neck of the woods. It's a state park now and a pretty neat place.

Hope some of you will plan a visit to the nation's southernmost fortress in Key West this year. No major battles here, but we do have a lot of history nonetheless.

Posted: Wed Mar 15th, 2006 03:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Evening all.

Besides Gettysburg, which I visit every year, am hoping to make a stop at Ball's Bluff and Virginia as well.  Have yet to really take a focused trip on the Overland Campaign, and would love to also do a more focused trip on Lee's retreat towards Appomattox as well.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Wed Mar 15th, 2006 03:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
calcav

Mana: 

Hello Gang,

Aside from daily visits to Corinth and Shiloh I have a week long trip to Vicksburg planned (I'll be doing some bronze preservation work on the Lloyd Tilghman monument). I hope to visit as many of the campaign related sites as I can.

Tom Parson

Posted: Wed Mar 15th, 2006 03:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
calcav

Mana: 

Amost forgot, I'm headed to California in September and plan on hitting Drum Barracks and the union barracks on Catalina Island.

Tom

Posted: Wed Mar 15th, 2006 07:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

It doesn't look too promising for me to get out on the road this year.  I may swing a trip to Gettysburg though - it's been about three years since my last visit.

If anyone thinks they need it, civilwartraveler.com has some excellent tour maps.

Basecat, I did the Overland Campaign a while back in some detail - from the fords on the Rapidan all the way to Appomattox.  At the time, I was hell-bent to stay on the line if it took all summer.  In reality, it took me five years (piecemeal)!  I highly recommend stopping at North Anna to witness some of the genius of Robert E. Lee and some of the finest preserved earthworks that you'll ever see.  Get a brochure at Frderickburg Visitor Center which contains a map and tour guide, or, I can mail you mine.

Lee's retreat is a nice relaxing trip over the VA countryside and also highly recommended.  Everything you'll need can be found at the Petersburg V.C.  There's a companion book witten by Chris Calkins titled "Lee's Retreat: A History and Field Guide" that I recommend to anyone making this trip.  When I went, there was a short audio presentation at each of the 25 tour stops that you could listen to by tuning your radio to a certain station.

Enjoy yourself.  This is one of the neatest trips I ever took and well worth the time and money I invested.

Regards to all,

ConnYankee

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Mar 15th, 2006 08:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Indy,

Last time I was at Parker's Crossroads was about 20 minutes ago :D The road it sits on that intersects the interstate is Rt. 22... I live about 3 miles down 22. I agree on your assesment, it used to be a really bad stop and they have made it better (a bit). It helps that the majority leader of the TN legislature owns the restaurant right there - the Cotton Patch. He's gotten some bucks for it. Do the self-driving tour if you haven't, it's worth doing once.

Posted: Thu Mar 16th, 2006 12:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Allroy

Mana: 

The Overland Campaign is a favorite of mine. However after 2 trips I still have not made it  to North Anna. I spend way to much time hiking around Spotsylvania. I also recommend the Penisula/Seven Days tour. These areas are a true treasure around Richmond, Gaines Mill being my personal favorite site.  If you utilize the Civil War Trails map you get a great perspective on the entire campaign.

As for me I plan on my ususal 3 trips to Gettysburg, one just to bike the battlefield and another a work day for the FNPG. Also in fall I plan to do Antietam/Harper's Ferry. Never been to Harper's Ferry but it looks like there are plenty of hiking trails in the area. (I don't care for auto touring. I try to hike or bike as much of the battlefieds as I can)

Someday before I die I wll make it to the Western Theater.

Posted: Thu Mar 16th, 2006 02:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

connyankee wrote: It doesn't look too promising for me to get out on the road this year.  I may swing a trip to Gettysburg though - it's been about three years since my last visit.

If anyone thinks they need it, civilwartraveler.com has some excellent tour maps.

Basecat, I did the Overland Campaign a while back in some detail - from the fords on the Rapidan all the way to Appomattox.  At the time, I was hell-bent to stay on the line if it took all summer.  In reality, it took me five years (piecemeal)!  I highly recommend stopping at North Anna to witness some of the genius of Robert E. Lee and some of the finest preserved earthworks that you'll ever see.  Get a brochure at Frderickburg Visitor Center which contains a map and tour guide, or, I can mail you mine.

Lee's retreat is a nice relaxing trip over the VA countryside and also highly recommended.  Everything you'll need can be found at the Petersburg V.C.  There's a companion book witten by Chris Calkins titled "Lee's Retreat: A History and Field Guide" that I recommend to anyone making this trip.  When I went, there was a short audio presentation at each of the 25 tour stops that you could listen to by tuning your radio to a certain station.

Enjoy yourself.  This is one of the neatest trips I ever took and well worth the time and money I invested.

Regards to all,

ConnYankee
ConnYankee,Already have Chris's book here, and plan to use it if I am fortunate enough to head to the Petersburg area this summer.  As for the Overland Campaign, the one place I have not stopped at is the North Anna River, and hope to do so soon.  I really got involved in the Overland Campaign after reading Gordon Rhea's books here, and have had the opportunity to talk to him over the years about making such a trip. :)  Like you, he said I need to spend a lot of time doing so, and he too said I have to check out the North Anna River.  IMHO, that is the best book of his series, as it really opened my eyes here about an event of the campaign that I really did not know that much about.Regards from the Garden State,Steve Basic

Posted: Thu Mar 16th, 2006 02:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

When are you going? Most of the places are sites I've already seen, but I have NOT been to Ball's Bluff. I know there's a cemetery there, but not sure what else is there. I think it might overlook a river.

Indy,

Plan here is to head to Ball's Bluff in June.  We are having our annual chat room muster in Gettysburg this year, and hope to sneak in a trip to Ball's Bluff while I am in the area.  Have been there once, and there is a fine walking trail, complete with waysides that tells the story of the events that took place there.  I happen to know the author of a recent book on Ball's Bluff, Jim Morgan, and he is a tour guide there and has offered to show me around.  Not sure of the date yet, but hope our schedules mesh so it can happen.

Steve Basic

Posted: Thu Mar 16th, 2006 03:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Also in fall I plan to do Antietam/Harper's Ferry. Never been to Harper's Ferry but it looks like there are plenty of hiking trails in the area. (I don't care for auto touring. I try to hike or bike as much of the battlefieds as I can)

AllRoy,

Harper's Ferry is one of my fave places to visit, and recommend it very highly.  Plus they have an awesome bookstore down there as well.  Great place for hiking as well.  As for Biking, best you send an e-mail to the park, as I am not sure what the restrictions, if any are.

Steve Basic

Posted: Thu Mar 16th, 2006 05:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
57oh

Mana: 

Not a very vigorious schedule for this old one this year. Plan on going to Perryville and attending the Battle of Richmond reenactment. May redo some local stuff like go through Sherman House etc. Hope all have a great time at Muster! :)

Posted: Thu Mar 16th, 2006 06:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Tom let me know when you are coming to the Drum in September.  Would love to meet you and give you a tour of the building.  I am sure our Director also a Susan would like to meet you too . 

Today we were donated two oak trees that were grown for acorns from the Banning House three blocks down the street from the Drum Barracks.  They are small in containers now  but one day will be big oak trees . 

Where iare  the union barracks on Catalina?  I have lived here all my life and only been over there once.  I see it every clear day from where I live. 

Susan

Current time is 05:28 amPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > What battlefields will you be visiting this spring & summer?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3707 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 33 queries executed.