Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

this years ACW road trip... - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Apr 26th, 2010 10:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

That Game Pie sounds pretty darn good! As for the tour...well my time budget is a bit tight but I may try to fit the high points in on my way to Appomattox. Great suggestions! Thanks!

Posted: Wed Apr 28th, 2010 11:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Well Final plans are made...rooms are booked....I can't friggin wait!

1 day Wilson's creek
5 days for Gettysburg/Antietam
1 day for Manassas
2 days Va Beach/Richmond
2 days Appomattox/Lexington

New camera, new accessories.....
You can bet your lives I'll be a postin' more than a few pics...man this is gonna be like the ultimate ACW trip for the Captain.....I wonder exactly how long I can go without sleep?=+-

Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 01:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

If you're in the Va Beach area check the Mariners Museum in Newport News where the Monitor turret is located. If you're coming down from Richmond to Va Beach you'll go right by it. Well worth the stop.

Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 04:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I second that if you are in Virginia Beach.  You need to see the Monitor.  It is amazing .  See the Turret then walk on the deck of the model of the Monitor. 

Susan

Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 11:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

What the hell, if you're already in Norfolk might as well cross the lower bay bridge and come to my neck of the woods on the eastern shore for the best crabcakes and steamed crab.

Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 02:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

I have to make it 3.....the Mariners Museum is well worth the visit. Also the Case mate at Fort Monroe if you got the time. Its an all day thing. It might be the last time to see it as is......there's talk of taring down the old buildings to put up condos. Who knows whats gonna happen.

Cheers

Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 03:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
Barlow

Mana: 

Is Hollywood Cemetary in Richmond worth a peek?

Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 03:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Barlow , Hollywood Cemetery is a half day at the least trip.  Get a good map at the visitors center .  It will cost you a buck or so .  It shows you were the famous are buried.  I had a list the last time I was there . 

Two US and one Confederate president .  Numerous Generals.  Rev War and Colonial leaders, Authors , children and wives of leaders and several just interesting headstones , memorials are there to see.

There is also a huge pyramid to honor the Confederate dead of Gettysburg who are buried all around the pyramid.  Pickett and his wife are there with them. 

A very sad headstone is the one for Longstreets children.   Also the grave of Pegram who was married and buried in a short few weeks .  His brother Willie is buried next to him. 

Jefferson Davis' grave with is statue is facing a huge headstone with the name Grant on it .  NOT THE Grant but still interesting .

The view of the river there is also interesting.  A place in Richmond not to miss .

Susan

Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 03:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

The history of Fort Monroe in the Casement musuem is interesting .  Edgar Allan Poe is there too as he was stationed at Fort Moroe during his military career short that it was.   Also as you drive around the fort there are some interesting artillary.  The fort itself is interesting to explore.

Susan

Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 07:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

Barlow-

I thought the Hollywood Cemetery was pretty interesting. And its about 10 minutes from the Richmond Battlefield Visitor Center and The American Civil War Center at Historic Tredegar. Fitzhugh Lee, President Monroe, Richard Garnet, Henry Heth, I think J.E.B. Stuart are all buried there. Its worth the stop.

Captain Crow-

Oh you bet your belly that game pie is good. I dream of it when Im not there. lol And the spoon bread.....Oh man......Ok enough, Im getting hungry. Hope you have a great trip.

Cheers

Last edited on Thu Apr 29th, 2010 07:04 pm by Old Sorrel

Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 08:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

JEB Stuat is in Hollywood for sure. 

Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 09:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
19bama46

Mana: 

susansweet3 wrote: JEB Stuat is in Hollywood for sure. 

Hollywood is the final resting place of Stuart, Pickett, Davis, the first confederate casualty of the war and several presidents..

However, it is also a cemetery that closes when the sign says! I believe that is 6:00PM... take note of that time and be sure you are out... ask me how I know!:D

Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 09:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Bama , did you get locked in and have to spend the night?  The first time I was there was late in the afternoon.  I was all by myself .  Didn't see anyone else around.  It was a little creepy. 

susan

Last edited on Thu Apr 29th, 2010 09:12 pm by susansweet3

Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 09:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Mariners museum...check.
Hollywood Cemetery...check.
Wow! I am too pumped for words...I'm liable to be craving salt pork and hard tack after this trip......naaah!

And note to self...cemetery closes at 6:00.

Posted: Fri Apr 30th, 2010 01:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Have a great time.  I would love to be doing all the sites you are doing too.  I will be headed to the Shenandoah valley though to join Muster group to see Lexington , New Market , Cross Keys and Port Republic .  Maybe hitting a couple of other sites on the way back to South Carolina to friends.  Rest of summer will be up in the air til I get my knee fixed .  That is the main goal of the summer . Knee replacement so I can walk the fields easier .

Susan

Posted: Sat May 1st, 2010 12:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

susansweet3 wrote: Have a great time.  I would love to be doing all the sites you are doing too.  I will be headed to the Shenandoah valley though to join Muster group to see Lexington , New Market , Cross Keys and Port Republic .  Maybe hitting a couple of other sites on the way back to South Carolina to friends.  Rest of summer will be up in the air til I get my knee fixed .  That is the main goal of the summer . Knee replacement so I can walk the fields easier .

Susan
Good luck with that knee Susan! My sister has one as well and she says it has done wonders for her mobility...not to mention pain reduction. I love S.C....especially Charleston.

Posted: Thu Jun 10th, 2010 07:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
Barlow

Mana: 

Well Howdy to Captain, Susan, Sorrel, Pam and the rest.

Currently in Lexington after visiting Gettysburg, Monacacy, Manassas, Richmond etc, and now here.  Most of what you all have been telling me has been confirmed, one way or another.  Some oddities:

Pennsylvania beer laws:  made me buy a whole case of some stuff called WingLing, Yingling, etc.  Couldnt just buy 6 or 12.  Strange laws.

Many of the CD's for the car tours dont match the tour stops on markers or maps.  This is a shame and can cause alot of confusion.  Particularly at Manassas.

the Game Pie was good but I found it to be Turkey Pot Pie.  But good.  I liked the goblets they use for water glasses.  The Pike Restaurant is a rip and overrated.  The Guest Suites is a good hotel, but they need a sidewalk past Evergreen Cemetary to downtown.  The bookshops in town are great.  The gift shop at the museum isnt bad, but the people...everywhere.

Malvern Hill was cool but the road leading to Glendale is closed.  that is heck on a GPS which doesnt know the difference.  Drewrys Bluff is overrated and not worth the trip.  Fort Harrison is better.  I would give Monacacy a C-.  A ghost town and vegatation not trimmed back. 

One thing I would kindly ask the Park Service:  Please please please clean the bird do-do off the wayside markers!  I havent seen one yet which wasnt bombed and ugggggly.

Appomattox is OK, but beware of getting sent by GPS to the downtown museum not the site of McLean House. 

VMI and W & Lee are neat.  I like the latter more.  What a great place to go to school. 

Here's a find:  the Museum of the Confederacy has better stuff than Gettysburg Museum.   But it is so tucked in by the hospital and hard to park.  Given all the museums, including Tredegar, I have now seen:   220 case shot shells, 76 battleflags, 42 uniforms and 54 muskets, rifled and smooth bore.

What a trip.  New Market tomorrow then home.  Its something I can remember well into my late late years...as long as my mind still works.  A vacation for the ages.

Posted: Thu Jun 10th, 2010 11:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Barlow, that's Yuengling to those of us who like the stuff (don't bother to ask Ole), and yes, the PA laws are strange that way.

Sounds like your trip has been great!

Pam

Posted: Fri Jun 11th, 2010 01:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
9Bama

Mana: 

susansweet3 wrote: Bama , did you get locked in and have to spend the night?  The first time I was there was late in the afternoon.  I was all by myself .  Didn't see anyone else around.  It was a little creepy. 

susan

Susan, I just saw your question and so I will answwer it belatedly, but first, anyone can send me any unwanted yuengling... that is the nectar of the gods!

We did indeed get locked in and were concerned, when not laughing our heads off, that we might have to spend the night, or climb the fence, abandon the rental car and call a cab or the police, until a young man came down the sidewalk, swinging a golf club and inquired "y'all want out?"

His grandmother had been a caretaker and still had a key, he got it, opened the lock and let us out..

The driver, who maintained that "cemeteries always close at dusk" will never be allowed to forget that experience.

Gen Stuart is there as well as Gen Pickett, President Davis and I believe 3 US Presidents along with many other dignataries

Posted: Fri Jun 11th, 2010 05:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
Barlow

Mana: 

I got lost in Hollywood Cemetary.  I was given a map and told to follow the "blue line".  I somehow lost the blue line around Pickett's grave.  Then, I was following the blue line on the left side of my car and not the right.  Anyhow, the map points out some dignitaries, but if you are looking for a certain general or col., good luck. 

I had some Yuengling left over from Gettysburg and have taken it on the trip.  After marching around New Market etc it doesnt taste half bad.  Wished I had bought the black and tan and not the Light Lager.

I dont know how we ever managed with the GPS?  Used to try to read a map while driving or stop and ask alot.  Now, it just seems to make the whole trip better.  I do notice however that the traffic along Manassas gets right on your bumper even if you are looking for stops along the way.  Somehow, they need to close it off to traffic except for those taking a tour.  Nice thing about New Market, Winchester and Lexington is its right off I-81.  Hard to get lost.

Current time is 01:57 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2115 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 27 queries executed.