Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > Different view on the CW anniversary this time?

Different view on the CW anniversary this time? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Feb 20th, 2011 04:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Michael F. Blake

Mana: 

Interesting article in the LA Times about how the 150th anniversary of the Civil War is being celebrated/comemorated in Montgomery, AL.

I do wonder if this will be the way many events over the next four years will be dealt with?

Here's the link to the story:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-confederate-sesquicentennial-20110219,0,250499,full.story

Posted: Sun Feb 20th, 2011 12:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

Thanks for the link. Does anyone know what the ceremony ended up looking like? I would be very curious to see how much of it was a discussion of the historical Confederacy and how much was a political rally. I've become very disappointed by the current popular "historical" debate which is really simply political fringes attempting to appropriate a part of history for their own benefit.

Mark

PS. Not to ruffle any feathers, but does anyone think that we will see a slave auction reenactment during the next four years?

Posted: Sun Feb 20th, 2011 06:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Michael F. Blake

Mana: 

Personally, looking at it from a historical and dramatic POV, I think it would be extremely effective to show a slave auction, with the families torn apart, crying, etc. 

But the "PC police" would squash that idea like a bug and label anyone who thought of the idea as a major racist.

Posted: Sun Feb 20th, 2011 07:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

There was no one marching against the President Jefferson Davis swearing in.

I have been informed it was an excellent day for the activities.  I just wish I could have been there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/us/21davis.html

For those wishing to see a slave sale reenactment can look here.

http://www.fox2now.com/news/morningshow/ktvi-slave-sale-civil-war-era-reenactment-old-courthouse-011511,0,7679876.story

Last edited on Sun Feb 20th, 2011 07:38 pm by Old Blu

Posted: Mon Feb 21st, 2011 12:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Mark

Mana: 

Thanks for the links Old Blu... I never would have thought anyone would have the courage to do it.

Mark

Posted: Mon Feb 21st, 2011 02:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Battle reenactments already regularly occur and are pretty much a repetitive exercise in pyrotechnics. Like most July fourth fireworks events the only change is that each year’s is a little longer ;)

I'd like to think that the commemoration of the 150-year-old *ideas* can take place anywhere and provide a mirror held up to current, and historical, modes of thought…

Posted: Mon Feb 21st, 2011 03:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
9Bama

Mana: 

Mark wrote: Thanks for the link. Does anyone know what the ceremony ended up looking like? I would be very curious to see how much of it was a discussion of the historical Confederacy and how much was a political rally. I've become very disappointed by the current popular "historical" debate which is really simply political fringes attempting to appropriate a part of history for their own benefit.

Mark

PS. Not to ruffle any feathers, but does anyone think that we will see a slave auction reenactment during the next four years?

There has already been one in St. Louis.

Posted: Tue Feb 22nd, 2011 01:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Hank, I don't know where your CW reenactments take place, but as an active reenactor, specifically, with an artillery unit, my feelings are hurt by your comment "pretty much a repetitive exercise in pyrotechnics."

The amount of time, planning and coordination that go into a particular battle is overwhelming. The planning and coordination of the event iteself (getting units to show up, paying bounties, contracting vendors and entertainment for the public, purchasing insurance, supplies, hay, straw, water, food, security) begins nealry a year before the event date.

Reeneactors spend boat-loads of dollars on their gear and spend our money in the local areas while we are there. We spend money on gas to get to events. We sleep in the rain, the heat and the snow. We get eaten alive by mosquitos, ticks and chiggers. We buy our powder, our own guns/cannons/horses.....We do programs for schools, libraries, Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, July 4th. We serve as Honor Guards at funerals.

We don't do these things for a "repetitive exercise in pyrotechnics". We do it because we love history. We do it to try, even minutely, to feel like a soldier would have felt. We do it to teach. We answer questions from the public ("Is that a real fire?", "Do you REALLY eat that food?", "Did you really camp out here last night?"). We do it because it's a hobby. We do it to honor our ancestors and all of America's heroes. 99% of the time, we break even or loose money (remember, we get paid in gun powder or sometimes cash. We are also a non-profit organization, so all powder/cash goes to the Unit, not to the reenactors). Believe me, if all we wanted were pyrotechnics, we wouldn't loose money or suffer any other hardship to do it.

I did not mean to hijack the thread, but I do wish to disspell the idea that we put on a fireworks show.

Posted: Tue Feb 22nd, 2011 01:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
9Bama

Mana: 

Albert Sailhorst wrote: Hank, I don't know where your CW reenactments take place, but as an active reenactor, specifically, with an artillery unit, my feelings are hurt by your comment "pretty much a repetitive exercise in pyrotechnics."

The amount of time, planning and coordination that go into a particular battle is overwhelming. The planning and coordination of the event iteself (getting units to show up, paying bounties, contracting vendors and entertainment for the public, purchasing insurance, supplies, hay, straw, water, food, security) begins nealry a year before the event date.

Reeneactors spend boat-loads of dollars on their gear and spend our money in the local areas while we are there. We spend money on gas to get to events. We sleep in the rain, the heat and the snow. We get eaten alive by mosquitos, ticks and chiggers. We buy our powder, our own guns/cannons/horses.....We do programs for schools, libraries, Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, July 4th. We serve as Honor Guards at funerals.

We don't do these things for a "repetitive exercise in pyrotechnics". We do it because we love history. We do it to try, even minutely, to feel like a soldier would have felt. We do it to teach. We answer questions from the public ("Is that a real fire?", "Do you REALLY eat that food?", "Did you really camp out here last night?"). We do it because it's a hobby. We do it to honor our ancestors and all of America's heroes. 99% of the time, we break even or loose money (remember, we get paid in gun powder or sometimes cash. We are also a non-profit organization, so all powder/cash goes to the Unit, not to the reenactors). Believe me, if all we wanted were pyrotechnics, we wouldn't loose money or suffer any other hardship to do it.

I did not mean to hijack the thread, but I do wish to disspell the idea that we put on a fireworks show.

Well said, my friend!

Ed

Posted: Tue Feb 22nd, 2011 02:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Albert Sailhorst wrote: Hank, I don't know where your CW reenactments take place, but as an active reenactor, specifically, with an artillery unit, my feelings are hurt by your comment "pretty much a repetitive exercise in pyrotechnics."

All of what you say is true on your side of the costume, but my feeling is that once you've been to one reenactment...

HankC

Posted: Fri Feb 25th, 2011 05:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

HankC wrote: Albert Sailhorst wrote: Hank, I don't know where your CW reenactments take place, but as an active reenactor, specifically, with an artillery unit, my feelings are hurt by your comment "pretty much a repetitive exercise in pyrotechnics."

All of what you say is true on your side of the costume, but my feeling is that once you've been to one reenactment...

HankC

...you haven't been to enough.

Sorry Hank, but I find that statement rather silly. If all one is doing is watching for pyrotecnics then I think they are missing out. I prefer to spend time talking with the re-enactors, learning about the units their representing and if possible learning things I didn't know before.

Posted: Fri Feb 25th, 2011 06:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Thank you, Hellcat!!!

Very well said and very true!!!

I am glad you take the time to go to reenactments and to learn new things. That is one reason I personally enjoy reenacting is because I meet people with a common interest, and we share with each other and learn from each other. Reenactor and spectator alike can teach each other.

I hope you continue to enjoy reenactments!!

Posted: Fri Feb 25th, 2011 09:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I've only been to one re-enactment-Honey Springs-here in OK, so my perspective might be skewed....but I loved it. Seeing all the uniforms and equipment, hearing the cannons roar, smelling the smoke...I just wish there were more for me to attend. The vendors are also an added attraction...one can never have too many ACW t-shirts and ball caps...and books....etc. I greatly respect the effort and cost it takes to try and bring history alive for us non-re-enactors.

Posted: Fri Feb 25th, 2011 11:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Cpt. Crow, You may be surprised to find there are more reenactments than you may think!!!

For example: I live in Illinois on the Iowa border. 6 years ago, I didn't reenact. One day, just for kicks, I "Googled" "Civil War Reenacting in Quad Cities".....figuring nothing could possibly show up.....One of the first things on Google was Scott's Battery. So, I went to the website. Turns out, the Lieutenant is in Davenport, IA, 30 miles from where I live. So, I e-mailed him. Two days later, he called and said they were going to an event in Forrest City, IA that Friday, and I could go with and they'd loan me a uniform. Now, 6 years later, I am Corporal and have only missed one event! On average, we go to 8 events a year, plus a Memorial Day Service at the Confederate Cemetary on Rock Island (the site of the POW camp). We do school programs, library programs, and we've been to the 145th Gettysburg. We're going to the 150th Wilson's Creek this year, the 150th Shiloh next year, and who knows where after that!! In my wildest dreams, I NEVER thought, here in Iowa/Illinois, would there be SO many event for us to go to!!! Boy!! Was I surprised!!!

I hope you find more events to go to, and join up if ya can or if ya want!

I am VERY glad you are able to take advantage of an event in your area and am happy that you make the most of it!!!!

Thanks!!

Current time is 01:57 am
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > Different view on the CW anniversary this time?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3931 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 29 queries executed.