Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Chickamauga website - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Dec 15th, 2011 09:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Cleburne

Mana: 

I believe that the battle of Chickamauga is one of the most confusing battles of the civil war. I found this website a while back and it has cleared up a lot of that confusion.

http://www.civilwarvirtualtours.com/chickamauga/sept19.html

Enjoy if you have not seen this before.

Cleburne

Posted: Fri Dec 16th, 2011 02:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Thanks Cleburne...this is a pretty cool site! I had ancestors on both sides in this battle.  I always wondered if they had shot at each other.  This shows they didn't.  The Yank ancestors were in the McDonald Fields area while the Southerners were with Longstreet crashing through the gap in the Union lines.

Last edited on Fri Dec 16th, 2011 03:02 pm by BHR62

Posted: Fri Dec 16th, 2011 11:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Cleburne

Mana: 

I am glad that your ancestors did not get any of their relatives blood on their hands. I hope they all survived the battle and war.

Cleburne

Posted: Sat Dec 17th, 2011 11:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

There were two Yanks and 3 Confederates from the family tree at Chickamauga. One of the Yanks died but the others all survived the battle and the war. I was reading the battle report of the Yank Brigade Cmdr and he stated he was very uneasy about marching the brigade that far out to the McDonald Farm but was ordered to go forward. That is was when they came under heavy fire. Researching the Civil War ancestors has been very interesting. Reading battle reports also gives you a real understanding of what went on. This site you linked to really let me know exactly where they were at on the field. Something I've been unsure of until now....THanks!

Posted: Thu Jan 12th, 2012 02:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

Cleburne wrote: I believe that the battle of Chickamauga is one of the most confusing battles of the civil war. I found this website a while back and it has cleared up a lot of that confusion.

http://www.civilwarvirtualtours.com/chickamauga/sept19.html

Enjoy if you have not seen this before.

Cleburne

Guys,

Another great Chickamauga site is Dave Powell's Chickamauga Blog.  Dave has been studying the battle for decades and this blog is his way of sharing his research.  He has already written a book on Forrest's cavalry in the campaign and I fully expect a multi-volume history of the campaign from him at some point.

Current time is 06:30 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1534 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.