Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gettysburg trip, - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2012 09:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
sgtredleg
Life NRA, CW Trust, VFW member

Mana: 

I also posted this on another forum:

Hey all,
I'm looking for the advice of you Gettysburg Veterans. I'm trying to organize my trip to the Gettysburg Battlefield for the 150th. I've only been there once and it was a rather quick overview only. This time I'll be by myself and can take 4 or 5 days going through things.
Since it will be the 150th I know it will be crowded. I would like to rent a car and do the auto tour and try to get some Ranger guided walks/tours in as well.
I'm physically up to moderately difficult walking and hiking, but I want to relax as well.
What places are definite must sees that you would not miss. How about those out of the way hikes where you can solo it for a private viewing/photo op. Are any of the commercial tours worth doing instead of fighting through the tourist auto traffic? What time of day is best for avoiding the crowds and viewing the battlefield?
What about the town itself? Where would be a good place to park and spend a day walking through Gettysburg? Any favorite Pubs, Restaurants or museums to take advantage of?
This may be the last opportunity I have to immerse myself into the Gettysburg phenomena. I want it to be a one-of-kind memory that I will be able to cherish for the rest of my days.
So how about it afficiondos? What is your advice?

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2012 02:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
HankC

Mana: 

If you are up to it take, or a rent, a bicycle.

riding from town south along cemetry ridge and then loopng north on seminary ridge is as memorable as one can get.

the bike has many advantages: you can stop anywhere, not nearly as noisy, plus it's easy to u-turn and detour. I carry water and a lunch in the backpack. on a bike you can often ride past the parking and right up to the destination.

frankly, in the car, i often skip stops because of the effort to park and open the door ;)

HankC

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2012 03:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Mark

Mana: 

That's a great idea Hank!

Mark

Posted: Mon Sep 10th, 2012 02:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Excellent idea!

I went thru Gettysburg in 2000. We were driving through the area but we were in a hurry and my female companion wasn't into the Civil War. So I get there and its really crowded. Like you said trying to find a place to park plus me being in a hurry just didn't work. I ended up just doing a drive by. So while I was physically there at the battlefied I don't claim it as a visitation. My older brother has been there several times including CWEA tours. He could probably host a tour there....so I'm hoping to meet up with him there sometime in the next couple years.

The bike idea would be really good to do!

Last edited on Mon Sep 10th, 2012 03:01 pm by BHR62

Posted: Mon Sep 10th, 2012 11:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
omar

Mana: 

My wife and I have been to Gettysburg 3 times in the last 2 years, The first time was for our honeymoon and as a wedding present werecieved a copy of Petruzzi's The Complete Gettysburg Guide, and we went cover to cover exploring the places, more recently we have decided to spend one day exploring a different place on the field, we pack lunch and park the jeep and just spend the day walking the entire area (just be sure to wear tick spray and dress accordingly) I personaly always no matter what we r doind find myself drawn to the top of Big Round Top I go to see the rock carvings and there is not alot of people who go to the top I just find it to be peaceful and calming. I guess in short anytime spent on the field or walking in town is time well spent, its all history and threrfore to me worth the time.

Current time is 04:18 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1493 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 25 queries executed.