Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Lincoln - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Nov 23rd, 2012 01:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
MildMan
Banned

Mana: 

I'm surprised there are no comments yet. Wow, what a historical movie. Detailed, believable and true to history. If Speilburg hasn't brought Lincoln into our homes he has done something quite close to it .

Posted: Sat Nov 24th, 2012 10:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I believe if you check down in the movies sub-section of the Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art section tha you will find there is already a thread on this movie with four respones to it. In fact I'll make it a little easier and link to it. http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/forums/forum59/3246.html

Edit: Sorry if this sounds rude, it was not intended to be.

Last edited on Sat Nov 24th, 2012 10:20 am by Hellcat

Posted: Sat Nov 24th, 2012 11:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Barlow

Mana: 

Movie was great!  Hasn't this Board been carping for a great Civil War movie for years...or at least months after The Conspirator?

found a few small errors:

1.  Lincoln never slapped Robert

2.  House Roll Call was always alphabetical not by state

3.  Tad was whisked away from Sinbad play when news of assassination reported.  In movie, he is left in his box crying.

4.  Soldiers at beginning of movie had memorized Gettysburg address.  Doubtful.  Speech was not that well received early on.

Total accuraracies:   Mary Lincoln (Sally Fields);  Andrew Stephens appearance;  Post seige of Petersburg..bodies everywhere.  Seward, Stanton, Welles, Eliz. Keickley, hospital scene with arms and legs dumped, negro soldiers taking no prisoners, and more.  What a great movie.  Hope it wins all Oscars.

Posted: Sat Nov 24th, 2012 03:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
MildMan
Banned

Mana: 

Yah, I thought the opening was cheezy and I doubted that black soliders ever had personal time with Lincoln. I watched "Gone with the Wind" that afternoon and I was stuck with contrast of the way blacks were protrayed in that movie and the modern dialect of the black soldiers in Lincoln. I would expect that thier language would be more like "Jim" in Tom Sawyer. As it was, they sounded Harvard educated. Maybe so, but unlikely.

I didn't realize that Lincoln visited fresh battle scene. I had to look it up. Was this the assult of Fort Steadman? And I am thinking that the number of dead in the battle scene was unrealistic. They were piled up in heaps. Was this so?

I excuse the opening scene and the battle scene as a litte bit of theater, in an otherwise great movie.

Best "CW" movie ever.

Current time is 09:53 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3016 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.