Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > How to teach kids about civil war generals?

How to teach kids about civil war generals? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 12th, 2013 07:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Ellisy

Mana: 

How to teach kids about civil war generals?

Posted: Fri Jul 12th, 2013 04:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Well there is always the basic flash card method for starters. You'd pick some basic facts about generals and put a fact on one side and the generals name on the other and then hold up the fact and have the kids try to guess the name. So examples of such cards might be
  • Side 1: His horses included Lucy Long and Traveller Side 2: Robert E Lee
  • Side 1: He was known as Beast and Spoons Side 2: Benjamin Butler
  • Side 1: General Barnard Bee tried rallying his own men behind this man's troops by saying he stood like a stone wall Side 2: Stonewall Jackson
  • Side 1: He was known as Stonewall Side 2: Thomas J. Jackson
  • Side 1: He once boasted "My plans are perfect. May God have mercy on General Lee for I will have none." Side 2: Joseph Hooker
  • Side 1: Legend has it one name for prostitutes comes from the prostitutes who hung around this general's headquarters being called his ladies Side 2: Joseph Hooker

OR you have a name and picture on one side and which side they fought for on the other side.

Another method would be to play Jeopardy and have the kids come up with the questions and answers. Give them categories to come up with questions and answers in. Catagories might include
  • Northern Generals
  • Southern Generals
  • Battle of Shiloh (Pittsburg Landing)
  • Seven Days Battle
  • Political Generals
  • West Point Graduates
  • They Served in the Mexican-American War
  • Foreign Born Generals

Have the kids have to come up with a question and answer for each dollar amount for each category. Or instead of telling them what the categories will be tell them what possible categories will be and have them come up with five questions and answers for thirteen categories (six categories for the Jeopardy round, six for the Double Jeopardy round, and one for Final Jeopardy). Then when the time comes to play depending on the number of kids have them play as individuals or as teams. You take the all the questions for each dollar amount for each category, shuffle them, then put one in that dollar amount then play the game like you would play Jeopardy, throwing out the Daily Doubles. Give the kids something to play for, maybe the kid that wins the whole game gets a deck of civil war themed playing cards or the winning team gets a pizza party. (we actually did this my senior year of high school with WWII)

Last edited on Fri Jul 12th, 2013 04:42 pm by Hellcat

Posted: Fri Jul 12th, 2013 08:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

http://astore.amazon.com/civilwarinteractive-20/detail/B0085AZ2MI

Posted: Wed Oct 22nd, 2014 04:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
teacher

Mana: 

I use a version of jeopardy or matching cards.. My students respond to anytype of hands on activity.. I have staged talk shows where students, after doing research on a particular general, will ask questions to the general who is "visiting" the class..

Current time is 08:08 am
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > How to teach kids about civil war generals?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2940 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 25 queries executed.