Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Coming out of the closet - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jul 6th, 2006 07:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
McClellansYankeeBelle

Mana: 

Hypothetically speaking, if one found out that they were related to McClellan... One shouldn't really let that get out should they?  I have discovered people don't think too fondly of him...North or South. :P

Posted: Thu Jul 6th, 2006 08:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

LOL - I don't know but the heading of your post sure will draw a crowd :shock: Seriously, while I personally have as much use for McClellan as I have for Sickles ('nuff said), I've found that all Civil War figures have their defenders, and most of them very passionate ones. I have no doubt Little Mac has his.

Posted: Fri Jul 7th, 2006 03:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Joe,

IIRC, There is a McClellan Society.  Has a lot of members as well.  And no, I don't belong..;)

Hope all is well at the Compound!

Regards from the Garden State,

Basecat

Posted: Fri Jul 7th, 2006 12:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
McClellansYankeeBelle

Mana: 

There is a McClellan Society?!!!!!!!  That's cool.  I understand he did some really good things for the army, some that are still used to this day, just in a different form.  I think the man is nothing short of a genius.   It is tragic that after a man does so much good for their country, so many still trash him.  Granted he would seem to be content letting the South go.  As for Sickles, my words are not so kind.  The man was clearly as crazy as he was insubordinate.  ;)  Thanks for the feedback by the way.  I still have more research to do.

Posted: Thu Jul 20th, 2006 05:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
burnsideshot

Mana: 

Umm... this is an odd post.  Hehe...I think anyone should be proud of their heritage...no matter what.  It's all history and its all interesting.  McClellan was a good guy after all right?  Even though he may have been a mediocre battlefield commander.  He's cool in my book.  Own up!  I would.

Posted: Thu Jul 20th, 2006 07:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

I believe that most groups have a "McClellan Don't Ask - Don't Tell" policy.

Not that there's anything wrong with being a McClellan...

...but I don't think they belong in our military. :P

Last edited on Thu Jul 20th, 2006 07:48 pm by MAubrecht

Posted: Thu Jul 20th, 2006 08:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
naakke

Mana: 

Genius of an organizer.  Big brains, no brass.  Now Sickles had the opposite problem, All Brass, but he would have struggled with the Jeopardy category "Your Head or a Hole In the Ground".

But seriously, the AOTP loved Little Mac even as they were marching off to Gettysburg.  There are anecdotes telling of the morale of the AOTP soaring on the march north because they thought that Mac had been called back into service.  All that Grant did with that army is owed at least in part to the organizing and training of MaClellan.  They should have made him chief of staff and shoved Halleck into some obliviously obscure posting.

Posted: Thu Jul 20th, 2006 08:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

We cant do much much about what our  Ancesters did nor can we do much about what our own desendants  will do. 

One must be proud of who  they are  & take the good and the bad.

I resently meet a desendant of Ol ' Burnside himself :shock:. and she  kinda 2nd thoughts on letting the cat out of the bag. 

I told her not to many folks can say they had  clivil war relative ..  much less a Gen or a famous one at that..    And that she should proud.

Posted: Fri Jul 21st, 2006 12:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

It ain't a bad thing being related to McClellan (or anyone else) any more than it is a good thing for the zillions of folks who claim to be related to R. E. Lee.

McClellan is one of those figures who gave us more questions than we have answers for, leaving most of us puzzled and frustrated.  He made the AOP what is was and his men seemed to love him for it.  But in the end it would be like having a whole garage full of more tools than the Yankee Workshop and not making anything.

He would join a long list of New Jersey governors, dating back to the colony, whose loyalties make you wonder about - from William Franklin (Ben's illegitimate son) to today's prized zillionaire.

Bless the Garden State!  I grew up there as well.

:) ConnYankee

Posted: Fri Jul 21st, 2006 02:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
McClellansYankeeBelle

Mana: 

I have been gone on business for a while, but it was nice to see some responses.  I was never interested in the Civil War until now when I was doing some family tree research.  It's not like a close relation, like great great (great?) grandneice if that is an actual relation.  After reading though, I became concerned that the man was a grade A screw up.  Then on message boards I have joined since finding this info, people tend to bash him alot.  This board has made me feel better though, thanks.

Posted: Fri Jul 21st, 2006 06:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

About Sickles, McClellansYankeeBelle wrote:  The man was clearly as crazy as he was insubordinate.

Give him a little credit, he WAS, after all, the first person ever to be acquitted of Murder by reason of temporary insanity.  Takes someone good at thinking under pressure (or a politician) to come up with that one and make it stick in those days.

As far as goof ups in the command ranks go, McClellan has lot less to be ashamed of than some.  Example:  "Fighting Joe" Hooker's Famous words on May 1, 1863: "I have Lee right where I want him."  Remember what happened on May 2, 1863? - Almost as comical in hindsight as Custer's reputed words at the Little Big Horn (Take no prisoners.)

Then there's the example of John Bell Hood basically shreading his army because he was embarrassed by their earlier performance under his no-longer-what-it-used-to-be leadership.

Posted: Fri Jul 21st, 2006 06:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

and I have come to the conclusion  that  folks will bash anyone and anything. As it is easy to throw stones at glass houses when its its not your house .  

Only your own  opinion matters...

btw yes there is such thing as a 3rd great grand Neice :)

regards,

Steven

Posted: Fri Jul 21st, 2006 07:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

Actually, I rather admired Hood's early career.  I just think he lost more than an arm and a leg in  the later years.  He didn't seem like the same person when one reads about him.

One of the Generals whose style I seem to like most is actually John B. Magruder.  The man seemed to be somewhat vain, but you have to admit he could do absolute miracles with virtually nothing.  From throwing a party for the officers of a famous British regement while posted along the border of Canada (he borrowed everything for it) to managing to convince the union intelligence service (headed by Allan Pinkerton) that he vastly outnumbered McClellan's army at Yorktown.  He marched the same units past certain points in plain view, but with subtle differences in display and order, over and over. 

McClellan was great on morale, better on organization, but tended to put waay too much faith in the judgement of others, specifically the aforementioned Pinkerton, whose organization would in later years seem more like a terrorist-for-hire cell than a private investigative firm.

Current time is 11:24 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1807 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.