Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Original Civil War photographs - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jul 25th, 2006 09:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
VirtualCivilWar
Member - Photographer

Mana: 

Hey guys,

I have been spending most of my free time updating my website and trying to improve it.  Last night I finished a two week project which was to update my section of original photos from the Civil War.  I personally cropped each photo, adjusted the contrast to make the image look as good as possible, made the thumbnails MUCH larger, and much larger enlargments when you click on those thumbnails.  Anyway, I figured you guys would appreciate the new section.  Feel free to let me know what you think!

http://www.mikelynaugh.com/VirtualCivilWar/New/Originals2/index.html

Mike

http://www.virtualcivilwar.com

Posted: Wed Jul 26th, 2006 12:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Shadowrebel

Mana: 

Mike,

A wonderful addition to an aready excellent site. I really like the tooltips on the pictures so you know what they are without captions. Keep up the good work. I was wondering if you would give permission to print some of the photos for my personal collection, there are some I do not have?

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Shadowrebel (John)

Posted: Wed Jul 26th, 2006 01:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
VirtualCivilWar
Member - Photographer

Mana: 

Hey Shadowrebel,

Thank you very much for your compliments.  Feel free to enjoy the photos anyway you like.  I did the work so you guys (and myself) and enjoy the photographs and study them, and hopefully learn something new each time you look at them.  Thanks again for the compliments, I really appreciate it!

Mike

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Jul 26th, 2006 04:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
VirtualCivilWar
Member - Photographer

Mana: 

Indy,

Thank you very much for the compliments.  As for where did I get them, 99.9% of them were though the Library of Congress' website.  The other ones I got through the National Archive's website.  Yes the photographs are public domain, although technically I own the copyright to the adjustments done to the photographs.  I posted them though so people can enjoy them, and I don't have a problem with you downloading them.

I love the Trinity Church one too, I saw that one day walking around DC, there are history signs showing "From Civil War to Civil Rights" and it has that photo on it.  I searched for quite a while until I found the shot.  I love that one.

Also, since you love the yesterday and today theme, have you seen what I did with that theme in my book?  Check out my book if you get the chance, http://www.ghostsofthefield.com  I think you'll like that too!

Thanks again for the compliments, I really do appreciate it!

Mike

http://www.virtualcivilwar.com

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Jul 26th, 2006 08:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

Mike.... what gives?

All the pictures are in black and white?

......;)

EXCELLENT job (as usual). You da' photo king!

ALSO - How come I had to pay 100's (and 100's) of dollars to VMI and MOC for my book cover photos - when I could have simply gone to you. :)

Last edited on Wed Jul 26th, 2006 08:57 pm by MAubrecht

Posted: Thu Jul 27th, 2006 01:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Ulysses

Mana: 

Mike....Another great job!  I am becoming a real fan of your work.  Thank you again for sharing these pics with us. Photos of  Headquarters at City Point sure brought back memories for me!! Many thanks again....Ulysses

Posted: Fri Jul 28th, 2006 05:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
VirtualCivilWar
Member - Photographer

Mana: 

Ulysses, thank you very much for the compliments!  I have much more in mind for that site so keep an eye on it!

Mike, it is weird seeing all those B&W's on my site huh?  I was looking at all those thumbnails, then clicked over to the Gettysburg section and it made it look so much better!  The colors seemed so bright and vibrant after viewing the B&W's.  Oh, speaking of Gettysburg.....I am headed there again on Aug 11th so keep an eye out for the new update of photos!

Mike

Posted: Sat Jul 29th, 2006 03:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
jbeatty

Mana: 

Mike:

I'm from Reynolds Battery L headquarted in Western New York. I just wanted to compliment you on your outstanding photos recently posted as well as your photos of Amherst and Mumford.  Thank you.

John

Posted: Sat Jul 29th, 2006 07:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Mike I just added your website to our Orange County Civil War round table newsletter .  I wanted to share your amazing photos with our members.  Thanks for posting them. 

Posted: Mon Jul 31st, 2006 04:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
VirtualCivilWar
Member - Photographer

Mana: 

Hey John, thank you!  I hope I got some photos of you at either Amherst or Mumford!

Also, thank you Susan, I really appreciate that.  I enjoy sharing my photos with as many people as possible.  You should see the stats as to how my site is growing thanks to people like you!

Mike

Posted: Fri Aug 11th, 2006 07:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

mike

Awsome site , only one problem do you have any pics from the western theatre Wilsons Creek , Pea Ridge ,Stones River ECt.  for some of us bushwakers, was cool to see the pics of fields i man never see kind of like a virtual tour.

Current time is 10:20 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1771 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 28 queries executed.