Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Shriver House story - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Aug 1st, 2006 02:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I don't know why, but I thought this was a very cool story -

Crime scene Investigators Test Shriver House Floor

But the line that caught my attention read "Visible stains on the floor - previously thought to be blood by the museum - turned out not to be blood." It made me wonder how many other places claim that blood is visible, and use it as a "tourist draw". Places I can think of off-hand that say there's visible blood include Carnton and Cherry Mansion. Can anyone think of others? Thinking it may make an interesting short article.

Posted: Tue Aug 1st, 2006 02:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

The first time I went to Ft. Morgan they claimed what look like rust stains on the northwest staircase were blood splatters when an exploding cannon took off the head of the artillery commander and it bounced down the steps.  That was in the early 70s.  The next time I went in the late 70s they weren't telling that story any more.

Sid Champion III says his dining room table has bloodstains from the Battle of the hill named after his family.

Also there is a house located about a mile south of the Vicksburg VC that supposedly has massive bloodstains on the floor.  The park historian said the owner was eccentric and descended from the family that owned it during the war.  That was in 1976 when I worked there, and the house looked quite run down and wild all around it.  Haven't seen it in a few years so I wonder if it is still there.

Last edited on Tue Aug 1st, 2006 02:43 pm by David White

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Aug 2nd, 2006 12:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

David: Thanks for the Ft. Morgan tip. I'll certainly look into it. Maybe give them a call and see if the tale was ever an "official" part of the tour. Thanks again. Also, do you remember the name of the house in VB?

Indy: Thanks also. If you ever remember the name of the church, drop it here. Your comment got me to thinking about Dunker Church in Antietam. I was only in there once, and I can't remember if there was any blood on the floors or not. Anyone else know?

I'm sure there's others out there, so keep 'em coming!

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Aug 2nd, 2006 03:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
David White

Mana: 

Javal:

The Lt. Col. losing his head was part of the tour and I believe it was even on a sign as well bu it disappeared when I went back about five years later and the park guys looked at me funny when I asked about it.

That house in Vicksburg had no neme as far as I know but if you leave the VC, instead of going left to the interstate or right to downtown, if you went striaght it was about a mile on the left near the railroad tracks.  In 1976 it looked pretty run down and there was a lot of junk in the yard and the house was hidden in a jungle of Kudzu and trees.

Posted: Wed Aug 2nd, 2006 04:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Marie

Mana: 

David,

Are you talking about McRaven?

We toured it last June, and there was talk of ghosts but I don't recall any mention of blood stains.

Regards,

Jana

Posted: Wed Aug 2nd, 2006 04:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
David White

Mana: 

No, it is not McRaven, this is a small little house that was privately owned, not open to tours, not even a historic plaque close to the park.  The wounded from the assault on the Railroad Redoubt were taken there.

Last edited on Wed Aug 2nd, 2006 04:06 pm by David White

Current time is 03:35 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3133 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 28 queries executed.