Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

"Gangstas" vs. Klan at Gettysburg - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Aug 24th, 2006 02:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I offer this tidbit with no comment other than I found it interesting, especially the last paragraph. It's an editorial, written by an leading black attorney. And I LOVE the poster!

by Lloyd Williams

How many Jews died in the Holocaust? I bet you can easily answer that question without thinking. Six million. Next, ask yourself how many blacks have been lynched by the Ku Klux Klan since it came in creation in 1866? Any historian of post-Civil War America is well aware of a large gap when it comes to reliable information about this well-hidden aspect of the country’s past.

We do know that before the rise of the Klan, Abraham Lincoln delivered his historic Gettysburg Address on the battlefield in the wake of a bloody engagement which had claimed a total of over 50,000 soldiers’ lives. “Four score and seven years ago,” Lincoln began, “our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.” The President proceeded to designate the soil there as now “consecrated” by the bones of those who had sacrificed their lives in the effort to abolish slavery.

We are also well aware of the fact that, at its height, Klan membership numbered in the millions and that innumerable blacks perished at the hands of that racist organization’s during its 100+ year reign of terror. After all, at the time of the Emancipation Proclamation, blacks constituted a majority of the population in the Southern states (provided each ex-slave is counted as a full, rather than 3/5ths of a person). But after the Klan’s era of unchecked ethnic cleansing, blacks were reduced to a point where they represented only about 10% of the census.

I refer to this ugly chapter of America’s legacy only because the Ku Klux Klan has always vowed that The South will rise again. And now they have the unmitigated gall to be planning a rally on September 2nd right on the supposedly sacred burial grounds at Gettysburg. It is troubling and telling that the Klan has been granted a permit to march and thereby thumb its nose at the notions of freedom and equality for blacks which took root at that battlefield.

In my humble opinion, the resurging Klan is a terrorist organization which is far more of a threat to my existence than anybody over in the Middle East. Afterall, to paraphrase Muhammad Ali, “Ain’t no Arab ever called me nigger!” With the inept federal government apparently abdicating its responsibility, it is my fervent hope that all the ghetto gangstas will declare a ceasefire in terms of black-on-black crime in order to descend in droves on Gettysburg, Pennsylvania on September 2nd in order to teach the creepy Klansmen an overdue lesson in tolerance. Or else.

Lloyd Kam Williams is an attorney and a member of the bar in NJ, NY, CT, PA, MA & US Supreme Court bars.

Posted: Thu Aug 24th, 2006 04:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
HankC

Mana: 

Mr. Williams needs a fact-checker before he publishes this...

HankC

Posted: Fri Aug 25th, 2006 04:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

I agree Hank. His heart may be in the right place, as well as his outrage, but his "professionalism" may be perceived as suspect when he can't even quote correct data in his argument. Not good for a lawyer who gets paid to present the facts. The point remains that there is a huge hypocrisy that exists in our country where groups (on both sides of virtually every issue that confronts us) demand it's own right to assemble and speak, while at the same time, they do not want the other side to have their equal say. I have been asked time and time again that how could the Confederate Government consider itself fully-justified in it's fight for independence, while at the same time, it denied others that very same freedom. It's impossible not to acknowledge that. This (to me) is similar as I stand by the philosophy that whether one agrees or disagrees with a message or a cause - you have to allow them their Constitutional freedoms. Now where they assemble is another story, and I understand the notion of protest here.

Posted: Fri Aug 25th, 2006 05:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
David White

Mana: 

Guess he believes in seperate and unequal freedoms

It is troubling and telling that the Klan has been granted a permit to march and thereby thumb its nose at the notions of freedom and equality for blacks which took root at that battlefield.

Yeah that's the ticket:

my fervent hope that all the ghetto gangstas will declare a ceasefire in terms of black-on-black crime in order to descend in droves on Gettysburg, Pennsylvania on September 2nd in order to teach the creepy Klansmen an overdue lesson in tolerance. Or else.

Good idea, let's surprise 'em in their hotel, drag them out of bed and lynch them form a nearby tree too.  Make sure you wear your ski mask.

That guy has lost it as much as the KKK, the only difference is he is openly advocating a crime.  Who is the terrorist?

Posted: Fri Aug 25th, 2006 05:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

It is also troubling to see him use the term "ghetto gangstas" as some sort of empowering moniker. Is that term supposed to be a good thing? I've never heard the words "ghetto" or "gangstas" in reference to something positive.

Posted: Fri Aug 25th, 2006 09:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
James Longstreet

Mana: 

Yeah...That term and Mr.Williams' post reminds of...lyrics in a rap "music" song.  "Ghetto Gastas"...Give me a break.

Posted: Wed Sep 6th, 2006 06:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

I watched a news piece on this over the weekend on one of the big news networks and The KKK only had like 16 people there, is what they reported course some of you that live closer might have have beter sources, they also interviewed some colored  civil war reenactors in confederate uniforms that were there protesting the Klan.

Posted: Fri Sep 8th, 2006 01:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
James Longstreet

Mana: 

This letter seems to hint that anyone who fought for the South or is a Southern supporter is a Klansmen...Why do we always get portrayed in the media as a nation of ignorant, violent, racist hillbillies?  Comparing the Confederacy to Nazi Germany makes me want to vomit.

Last edited on Fri Sep 8th, 2006 01:09 am by James Longstreet

Posted: Sun Oct 8th, 2006 02:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

The KKK is one of the worst organizations in this country and it is unbelievable that they would let an outfit like this even walk on the Battlefields of Gettysburg..These guys love to use the Rebel Battle Flag as a symbol of terror and that urks me to no end. Ask them about the History of the War and I am sure they are as dumb as they come about it. Yet they use a flag that Americans died under fighting for what they believed in..I read in newspapers that reenactors are sometimes asked not to carry that flag because it upsets a lot of people..Why...Because the Klan uses it ? That just makes them all the more powerful knowing that they have destroyed some of our country's legacy's...Why then do we let them..This flag should not offend Afro Americans...It does because they see it as a slavery issue and they see it carried by the KKK...Lets look at the real facts...Afro Americans were slaves under the American Flag long before they were slaves under the Rebel Battle Flag...This flag is part of our History and if we bury this flag and stand in fear of it then we bury our Country's History with it..Dont let the KKK win here. And I for one have written to the NPS and ask them to never ever let the KKK walk on the Hallowed Ground where so many brave men gave their lives..North and South and I urge you all to do the same...

Thanks

Sal

Current time is 10:34 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1742 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 24 queries executed.