Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

What's your favorite Civil War songs? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jun 9th, 2007 06:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Modern song I love is The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. 
Susan,

I just heard that song for the first time this past year.  By "The Band" - from the '70's. I understand it was originally written and sung by by a woman in the late '60's?

I LOVE it!:

"Virgil Cain is my my name and I drove on the Dansville train,

Till Stoneman's calvary came, and tore up the tracks again.

In the winter of '65, we were hungry, just barely alive..."

BUT - the song, as I have heard it, has the month that Richmond fell wrong!

If this really is a '60's / early '70's song, it was very gutsy to write a kind of southern-folk-rock song that favored the Southern point of view ("Just take what you can, and leave the rest, but they should never have taken the very best") back during that time of Civil Rights unrest!!!!!

Last edited on Sat Jun 9th, 2007 06:45 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Sat Jun 9th, 2007 09:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
medicboymatt

Mana: 

JoanieReb & SusanSweet,

"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" was originally recorded by Joan Baez. I don't recall offhand if she wrote it herself;  if not, I think it might have been Tim Hardin (also known for "if I were a carpenter/and you were a Lady....). I've got the sheet music for it somewhere in the Swamp Archieves, aka the basement. Both versions are good, but I think I prefer The Band's. Those boys could rock it!

My personal fav CW song is Johnny Cash's version of "Johnny Reb." "Bad Company" by Bad Company seems CWish , too. Very Western Theater/Josey Wales/guerrilaish, to this boy at least. 

Posted: Mon Jun 11th, 2007 04:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Medic

Another good modern era southern song is "Lonesome Boy From Dixie" is on the Legend of Wholly Swamp albumn by The Charlie Daniels Band.

Last edited on Mon Jun 11th, 2007 04:53 pm by younglobo

Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2007 04:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Sinead O'Connor has a great album called "Sean-Nos Nua" and on it has a song "Paddy's Lament"
Here are the lyrics...

Well it’s by the hush me boys, and that’s to mind your noise
And listen to poor Paddy’s sad narration
I was by hunger stressed, and in poverty distressed
So I took a thought I’d leave the Irish nation.

Well I sold me horse and cow, my little pigs and sow
My father’s farm of land I then departed
And me sweetheart Bid Magee I’m afraid I’ll never see
For I left her there that morning broken hearted.

Here ye boys, now take my advice
To America I’ll have youse not be coming
There is nothing here but war, where the murd'ring cannons roar
And I wish I was at home in dear old Dublin.

Well meself and a hundred more to America sailed o’er
Our fortunes to be making we were thinking
When we got to Yankee land they put guns into our hand
Saying “Paddy, you must go and fight for Lincoln.”

General Meagher to us he said, “If you get shot or lose your head
Every mother’s son of youse will get a pension.”
Well in the war I lost me leg, all I’ve now’s a wooden peg
By my soul it is the truth to you I mention.

Well I think meself in luck if I get fed on Indian buck
And old Ireland is the country I delight in
To the devil I would say, “God curse Amerikay”
For in truth I’ve had enough of their hard fightin’.

Last edited on Thu Oct 18th, 2007 02:58 pm by Fuller

Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2007 10:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
1stSgt P.

Mana: 

My favorite Period song is "Un-Reconstructed Rebel."  The way some friends of mine sing it on their period insturments on their CD is great.  I have  all of their CD's and they do a wonderful job on all the period music.

I have heard it several other times from other people and it is good but not the same. I also like "The Bonnie Blue Flag'  There is one that is from the same music as "The Bonnie Blue" but talks about the Southern Ladies.

Allison Krauss has one song on one of here CD's talking about a soldier going off to war and telling his family to take care till he gets back.

Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2007 11:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
Sarah
anachronist

Mana: 

Last summer I worked in a CW wax museum/gift shop where we had the same CDs playing on repeat.  Needless to say, I know a lot of the songs pretty well now.

The ones I always sang along with were "Goober Peas", "Richmond is a Hard Road to Travel" and "Siege of Vicksburg," all by the 97th Regimental String Band (the blue CD, more specifically).

I also really like the music from Glory and David Kincaid's The Irish Volunteer.

And out of curiosity, has anyone here ever met Gettysburg battlefield guide Chris Rebman?  Civil War music is his specialty and he sometimes performs samples during his presentations.  He's a neat guy.

As far as modern CW-related music, I am currently in love with The Decemberist's "Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)."

Last edited on Wed Oct 17th, 2007 11:12 pm by Sarah

Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2007 11:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
ole

Mana: 

"Favorite" CW songs are very much reliant on the mood I happen to be in at the moment. I love the tune of "Bonnie Blue Flag," but if I'm feeling peckish, the lyrics irritate me. I'm moved by the "Battle Hymn of the Republic," but if I'm feeling peckish, the lyrics come off as jingoism. Still, it's a bit difficult to resist, "In the beauty of the lilies, Christ was born across the sea." Especially when sung by the Norman Luboff Choir, or the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I'll toss a vote in here for something many of you have never heard of: The St. Olaf College Choir. A benchmark all others have to live up to.

ole

Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2007 11:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
Sarah
anachronist

Mana: 

Ole,

I've heard of the St. Olaf Choir, but have never been fortunate enough to actually hear them.  I've heard that it's crazy trying to get tickets to the St. Olaf Christmas Concert.

I actually looked into St. Olaf a little earlier in my college search, but now have my heart set on Carleton.  I recently went to visit the latter; Northfield is such a pretty town.

Is this perhaps why you are known as Ole?  It was my first thought when I first saw your name, but I thought "nahhhh..." :)

Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2007 11:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
1stSgt P.

Mana: 

The two gentlemen I was referring to are The Prairie County Avengers.  They have three or four Cd's out now.  I have seen them in several NMP around.   They even have their own website

http://www.pcavengers.com/ 

I would recommend them for good period music.  I have heard the other bands too, and I like them,but I know these guys.  They are some of my close friends

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2007 01:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Love Playing Civil War songs since about 6 months ago I took up the fife...One of my favorites to play is "The Girl I left behind me" not only because I like th music if you ever find the words which you can on beafifer.com its about a guy leaving his wife and leaving her a bunch of nothing behind..And I dont think he going off to war he is going off with another woman...other favorites

Bonnie Blue flag

Dixie

Battle Cry of freedom

When Johnny comes marching home

GarryOwen ( which is not a person but a place near Limrick )

Yankee Doodle (which was a song the British played making fun of the Yanks)

Minstrel Boy

Kingdom Coming

Are just a few that I love to fife out...

Try fifeing you may just like it...

Just obtained a Period Civil War fife (Firth and Pond) 61 to 63 contracted to make 1000 of these for the Union, on e-bay...It was not cheap but I won it..;)

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2007 03:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

Dixie, Shenandoah, Battle Hymn of the Republic, Mrs. McGrath (about the war of 1812 actually), Old Dan Tucker (I believe this is the tune that Stuart changed the words to when he sang out during Chancelorsville) to name a few.

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2007 03:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Okay, I must mention my love for the "Dances With Wolves" soundtrack as well. "Ride To Fort Hays" reminds me of living in Wyoming and of when my passion for learning about the war really started. I also lived in California for eight years and had the great opportunity to attend a 4th of July performance at the Hollywood Bowl. I was blown away when the full orchestra started playing "The John Dunbar Theme."

Calgon take me away...

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2007 02:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Regarding artists, I have to say Bobby Horton, in my opinion, is the best! I have 2 volumes of his "Songs of the CSA". I like Vol. 1 the best! I play it so much that my 6 year old son learned the words to "Rose of Alabamy" and "Battle Cry of Freedom" when he was 4!

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2007 02:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
54th Post
David White

Mana: 

Orphan:

Mrs. McGrath (about the war of 1812 actually)

Right era but, actually it's about the Napoleonic Wars and the Spanish Campaign in particular.

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2007 04:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Albert I bought two Bobby Horton cds last June in Murfreesboro.  By the time I got home to California I think I knew the words to Rose of alabamy I would play them over and over all the way home .  Now I had my iPod loaded with over 1,000 songs but kept putting the cd in the cd player and playing the two cds again and again . I do like Vol 1 the best .   I now of course have both of them on my iPod so can just call them up when needed. 

I tend to burst into sing along with Bonnie blue flag too.

susan

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2007 05:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
ole

Mana: 

I tend to break up now and then on listening to "When Johnnie Comes Marching Home." Its roots are not in the CW, but it moves; whether as a dirge or a marching lilt, it is a powerful tune.

ole

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2007 08:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
jbeatty

Mana: 

By this point your list is pretty complete, however I would like to put a plug in for the soundtrack of a short-lived (1999) Broadway play entitled, "The Civil War."  Music was written by Frank Wildhorn and the soundtrack includes a variety of artists.

Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2007 12:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
58th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Pretty complete?! Naw just getting warmed up a bit. How 'bout the work Jack White and Alison Krauss did in Cold Mountain? I also love old slave songs as well. "Run Mourner, Run" is soul stirring. In another thread (can't remember which one)I mentioned "Oh Freedom" that was performed by several USCT reenactors in Corinth (I wish I could have heard because of the significance). Also, my favorite version of "Battle Cry of Freedom" is by the 119th NYSV. The fife and drums are chilling and I feel like I'm right in there with the men marching. I'll have to look closer but was "Tenting on the Old Campgroud" or "All Quiet on the Potomac" brought up? All such great great music. I have loved this thread and I'm glad to see others with such great taste in music!!! I thought I knew lots about the topic but I have now humbled myself. (and have more mp3s to buy. cha-ching)

books and music, books and music...

Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2007 12:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
59th Post
ole

Mana: 

Swinging into the spirituals, huh? "Deep River." Right up there with Tchiacowsky's "Pathetique."

ole

Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2007 12:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
60th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Oh my heaven ole, I love "I'm Going Home" in Cold Mountain and "Nearer, My God, to Thee" was definately around then (came about in the 1840's in England?) I like the rendition that is on the "Titanic" soundtrack. (Us Americans were always singing it to the Bethany tune)

Current time is 02:49 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4464 seconds (22% database + 78% PHP). 25 queries executed.