Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Rosters - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Nov 14th, 2006 11:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Have a myriad of ancestors who served in both confederate and union regiments.  My delema is were they present during the various engagements which their regiment participated in.  To do so is to look at the roster for that particular regiment.  What is the best source to determine their presence in these various battles?

Doc C

Posted: Wed Nov 15th, 2006 02:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Doc:

In hard copy, Welchers 2-volume, The Union Army gives engagements per regiment. Sifakis's multi-volume, Compendium series does pretty much the same for the Rebs by state. Doesn't do much good if you don't have their dates of service.

There's an nps sight that gives rosters. Can't put my finger on it right now.

Ole

Last edited on Wed Nov 15th, 2006 02:41 am by ole

Posted: Wed Nov 15th, 2006 01:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Ole

Thanks for the reply.  Does your listed sources give rosters througout the conflict for the various regiments.  I've documented these individuals membership in their various regiments via nps, individual reg. websites, booth's (for my La ancestors), etc.  and have their length of service.  Even with the length of service, that doesn't garantee me that he was there in a particular engagement (unless present at all rolls is mentioned).  Unless they're officers and have written the report or mentioned in a document/book, it's difficult to find documentation for sgts, privates, etc. who participated in that engagement.  Any suggestions?  Live close to D.C. where I could visit the Archives and look myself.  It's pricey for the archives to do the search for you via mail/internet.  FYI - ancestors.com has a rather extensive cw data base. 

Doc C

Posted: Wed Nov 15th, 2006 03:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
David White

Mana: 

Doc:

You are presenting the dilemma I don't think anyone has the definitive answer to, you almost have to assume in the abscence of private correspondence or memoirs.  For example, my ancestor saw the doctor the day of the Battle of Second Winchester, was that before the battle or after?  I assume it was before and that as a result he missed that battle.  He was on the roll for the month of July 1863 but did he fight at Gettysburg?  After that battle he was assigned to the Confederate equivalent of the Invalid Corps.  So maybe he missed Gettysburg too, who knows.

Posted: Wed Nov 15th, 2006 03:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ole

Mana: 

I completely overlooked the desire to have a unit roster for those engaged at each tussle. I most sincerely doubt that such a thing is available. As Dave said, you can show a unit is present, but only a diary, letter, or mention in a report can show a single soldier's involvement. Best start assembling regimental histories on those you can.

Ole

Posted: Wed Nov 15th, 2006 03:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
calcav

Mana: 

Doc C,

A trip to the archives might be worth your time. Request to see the regimental records of the unit. They will deliver the orignal documents to you in the reading room. Look the company books, morning reports, etc. They frequently list when members of the regiment are away on other duties, sick, assigned to picket duty, etc. and when they return. Quarterlies have a welath of information on who was with the company during a particular three month period. Official letters and other memos are also included. Depending on the regiment you often find several boxes of information on a given unit.

Have fun, I always do.

Tom

Current time is 11:02 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3142 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.