Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Simon Bolivar Buckner - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore hamboky. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Dec 1st, 2006 03:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Sounds like a case of the obit writer becoming overly enthusiastic. In '65, Grant, Sherman and Buckner were nowhere near Kentucky.

Posted: Fri Dec 1st, 2006 08:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Widow

Mana: 

Scott, welcome to this place.  You don't have to be an expert on the Civil War, but you can talk with those in here who are, and the many of us who aren't.  I got interested in August 2005.

I can't believe you're putting a framed picture of a relative up for auction!  Gosh, many people would love to have a picture of one of their Civil War relatives.

Elijah died in 1928, so he was probably in his early 80s.  Say he was born in 1844, age 20 in 1864, so age 84 in 1928.  His service with Grant and Sherman would have been in 1862-63, and maybe with Sherman all the way to the end.

You're right, Buckner was a Confederate general.  He surrendered Fort Donelson to Grant on 10 Feb 1862.  Maybe Elijah was there too, but Sherman wasn't.  Grant and Sherman took Shiloh on 6-7 April 1862, so Elijah was probably there as well.  Then there was Chattanooga...  There sure were a lot of battles in Tennessee.  Only VA had more battles, for obvious reasons.

Patty

Posted: Sat Dec 2nd, 2006 06:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Patty I am one of those people that would love to have a picture of my great grandfather who was with the 19th Michigan at Tompkin's Station .  He along with many of the 19th were captured and taken off to a prison in Viriginia , He was paroled four months later with a lung diease that got him mustered out and sent home to Michigan.  He lived another 30 years but my grandfather never passed down any pictures of his family to my father.  My grandfather left home to go west to Idaho in the 80's and 90's .  He didn't marry til late in his life.  My father too didn't settle down til he was older.  No pictures .  I was so excited when I got my great grandfather Aaron Sweet's enlistment papers.  I finally know what he looked like , at least that he was 5 foot 10 light brown hair , sandy complextion and blue eyes.  I try to imagine him looking like a youger verision of the pictures I have of my grandfather. I can't imagine selling my great grandfather's picture . 

I have one picture of my dad's other grandfather. He worked in the quartermaster's department in charge of transportation in Clarksville Tennessee.  My brother and I each have a copy of that picture.  When my brother had a beard it was almost the same face looking at us.  He is dressed in his Knights Templer uniform and very stilff and formal.  Can you imagine how excited I was to learn he was a railroad engine in Tennessee right before the Cvil War?   That made him a real person.  Yep my grandmother was older too when she married and had my father. 

I guess different things are important to different people .  

By the way I love reading your posts

Susan

Posted: Sat Dec 2nd, 2006 12:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Susan, thanks for your kind words.

How terrific to have pictures of some of your ancestors.  To think that your bearded brother could pass for your dad's grandfather.  How cool.

My brother could pass for Baldy Ewell, at least from the eyebrows up.

I have no pictures of any of Mom's family.  Her mother was an orphan, raised by a kindly foster father.  No family history, documents, or photos came down to us.  No pictures from Dad's side, either.

My husband got lots of old family photos, which I put in albums for his kids.  Small-town Illinois people, but no Civil War veterans, as far as I can tell.

Patty

Current time is 11:59 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2993 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.