Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

What to name this war? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jul 19th, 2007 07:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Cleburn..

"The Late unpleasantness " wouldn't work for me that sounds like I had a fight with my wife or something. War is FAR worse than unpleasant .

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Dec 3rd, 2007 08:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
Bob

Mana: 

After reading many Georgia newspapers of the era (1860-1865) I was somewhat surprised to discover that the editors of said papers called the conflict a civil war. If the people who actually lived through it called it a civil war, who am I to argue with them.

Posted: Mon Dec 3rd, 2007 08:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

No less than Robert E. Lee called it a civil war.

Wow. Some threads never die.

Posted: Mon Dec 3rd, 2007 09:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

and we all know the correct name was the War to Prevent Southern Independence!

Ok boys have at it! Let the howling begin

The boys can howl.  Me, I a'gonna incorporate it into my vocabulary, use it on a regular basis....

Posted: Mon Dec 3rd, 2007 11:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
ole

Mana: 

I'm quite content to leave it as the US Civil War -- never mind that it it quite difficult to justify calling it a civil war.

I'll even leave it at the War Between the States. Call it whatever you want. I'll stick with USCW or WBTs.

ole

Posted: Mon Dec 3rd, 2007 11:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
BigPowell

Mana: 

How about "the First Civil War?"  Should be a real conversation starter, and might make you a "person of interest" to certain government agencies.

Posted: Tue Dec 4th, 2007 01:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"Wow. Some threads never die."

Whaddaya complaining about, Pvt.Clewell - you started this thread, perhaps you should be pleased that your thread-child is showing signs of imortality.

Anyway, 1 more post and it will tie the latest NASCAR thread in # of posts; it presently surpasses in # of views.

Hey, if you can beat out a NASCAR post in interest, you're doing something right!)(90

"How about "the First Civil War?"  Should be a real conversation starter, and might make you a "person of interest" to certain government agencies."

Hee-hee-hee-haw-hawww  - hurts to laugh, but I just cain't help it....

Last edited on Tue Dec 4th, 2007 01:11 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Tue Dec 4th, 2007 01:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
39th Miss. Walker

Mana: 

As I grew up it was generally called the "War Between the States". Only in school was it called the Civil War.
I have friends and customers that refuse to call it the Civil War. In most meetings with the SCV they refuse to call it the Civil War.
I think most comes from the failed doctrine of the "Lost Cause".
That being said we recently had a number of meetings here in SC concerning the upcoming sesquicentennial and at each meeting the State organizer said we will refer to it as the Civil War as that is the common name for the war and Federal money is tied to the name the Civil War, not any other name. If we were to use another name possible Federal funding could be in jeopardy.
In addition today we now have a much greater understanding and empathy for the black story during the war. So the name Civil War is relatively neutral and when one speaks of the war everyone know what we are speaking about.
It's funny how we get so hung up on names even when the debate within, about the name, is detrimental to the historical study.

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2007 02:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Very much liked your post, 39th.

After this thread took off, I changed from using "TWBTS" to "CW" on this and every other board I post to.  It seemed that having a concencus name was the right thing to do and took a bit of bias out of the posts.  (And they think that I am unreconstructable! =+++)

I still like to raise a little H*** in my personal discussions here in the great white north; cain't wait to employ Bama's "War to Prevent Southern Independence".

But, anyway, good post!  Thanks.

JR

Last edited on Wed Dec 5th, 2007 02:24 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2007 05:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
ole

Mana: 

When I grew up, it was the "Civil War." There was no WBTS no War of Northern Agression, no War of the Rebellion. We are talking about the same war, aren't we? Name it whatever you'd like; it doesn't change a thing. There was a war. It was a vicious war. And somewhere close to 620,000 boys and men died before it was ended. Why?

Scuzzi! I thought I heard an excuse or two. If a meadow vole f*rts, does a tree fall down?

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2007 05:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Ole-

620,000 killed in our war is a huge number, but the total number of humans killed in wars in the 19th Century was small compared to the 170 million killed in the 20th Century.

Are we humans more: "enlightened" in the 21st century? Apparently, we are not. And you ask: "Why?" My answer is: "Because thats the way it has always been." There are just a lot more humans around than there has ever been before. We do things on a larger scale these days.

My apologies to all who might be offended by my Machiavellian "bias."  :(

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2007 05:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
54th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Still flu-ridden, Ole,

And thus having a hard time responding to things as well as I'd like to.

I have been trying to find a very brief essay, circa 2000, entitled, "How Can I Celebrate Our Dead" by a South Carolinian Woman whom refused to lay wreaths on her Southern CW ancestors' graves. It was about 4 paragraphs long, and one whole paragraph negatively referenced The South's insistance on using names other than " The Civil War".

After reading it, I consciously chose to always say TWBTS, it hurt me that bad.

Yes, you grew up in The North, where it was ALWAYS The Civil War in your lifetime.

It was a concession to me to start using CW here and on the other threads....

Last edited on Wed Dec 5th, 2007 05:42 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2007 01:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
39th Miss. Walker

Mana: 

The proper name for the vehicle is the automobile. The common name is car. Car is generic and everyone knows what you are talking about. Don't have a clue what car stands for or how it came into being.

Ole, I grew up in the South. My mother was non-political and a real kind gentle woman. However in our house you didn't mention Sherman's name or sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic! It was referred to as the War Between the States. Not as a political or revisionist name but as a casual title. I don't think a "formal" title was ever bestowed, so what ever one is comfortable with will do but everyone knows what the Civil War means.

Funny even some CW re-enactors I know refer to themselves as Civil War re-enactors but refuse to call it the Civil War. Go figure.

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 04:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
58th Post
ole

Mana: 

Precious!

ole

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 05:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
59th Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

How about "American Revolution 2.0"? (Only kidding). I grew up hearing on the term"civil war" for the conflict, so it has become habit for me to use that term. However, I feel that "The War Between The States" is a bit more "accurate".

Current time is 05:15 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4554 seconds (56% database + 44% PHP). 30 queries executed.