Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hello - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 06:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Roger

Mana: 

After lurking for just a short time I've registered as a member so here's a little bit about myself.

My name is Roger Newsome and I live in North Yorkshire, England. I have had a passion for military history since a very young age. Besides collecting books on the subject I also paint military miniatures between 54mm - 120mm in size. Which is what sparked my interest in the American Civil War. Previously my main interest was World war One. Through my modelling hobby I discovered Civil War uniforms and figures, then came the books and the beginnings of a new obsession.

I am 42 years old, married with three children and left the Royal Navy after 23 years service in 2004. I still work at sea on a month on month off basis. Unfortunately with no internet access. I usually take at least two Civil War books with me to sea and make notes to follow up stuff when I return. Please be patient when I return from sea with a heap of questions:D

Roger 

Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 04:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Many welcomes, Roger. The model looks like you've been working the craft for a lifetime. And don't worry about questions--most of us kindred nuts jump at the chance to answer questions (and argue endlessly about the answers).

ole

Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 04:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thanks for the welcome Ole. I've been painting figures for awhile now and like most things the secret is practice. I have more figures that look like they've been painted with a three inch brush than good ones.

Roger

Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 08:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Welcome aboard, if you haven't discovered Don Troiani I strongly suggest any and all of his works which I would consider priceless.

Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 08:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thanks for the welcome Johan. Yes, as I mentioned in my 6th Wisconsin thread I have Troiani's Regiments & Uniforms of the Civil War.
Having just finished the final volume of Shelby Foote's triology I'm looking at spending some of my hard earned cash on books about specific battles and campaigns. I've also recently finished Gettyburg by Stephan Sears. But I will always be on the lookout for good uniform references if you have any other reccomendations.

Roger

Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 01:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Welcome to the board Roger . I loved the the model soldier.  I could never do anything like that .  I admire people that do.

Susan

Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 05:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thank you for the welcome Susan and thank you for the compliment for my figure,its very kind of you.

Roger.

Current time is 07:55 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3264 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 25 queries executed.