Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Another introduction - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 3rd, 2008 09:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Hello. As I recently joined the forum I thought it best to drop a line here prior to posting anything else.

I live in Oxford, England, but grew up in Cornwall and still consider that small land to be my home. My user name reflects this (Kernow is Cornish for Cornwall).

I'm not quite sure how I got into the period  but as I vaguely remember pranching about on Fort Sumter as a child I guess the seed must have been planted back then. Although I've been reading about the War for three or four years now, a trip to the US last summer more or less cemented the period deep into my psyche. My interest has always been mainly political but I've started to properly get to grips with understanding the military side of things. I'm finding that the various disciplines feed into each other well.

Anyhow, I might de-lurk properly  at some point but it's good to raise my head above the parapet from time to time. I certa

P.

Posted: Tue Mar 4th, 2008 01:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

welcome Kernow. its always good to have a few more Brits on here. Im the head of the official committee that fills people in on stuff when there away. if you travel on your job or anything else just let us know and i would be more than happy to fill you in when you get back.

Posted: Tue Mar 4th, 2008 01:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Hey, Kernow-Ox.

Political is good. Military is better. Come out to play.

ole

Posted: Tue Mar 4th, 2008 02:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Greetings Kernow-Ox! Always good to have another historian here!

Posted: Tue Mar 4th, 2008 04:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Welcome Kernow.  Glad to have you join us .  Always something going on here.  All of us have our special interest in the Civil War .  Mine is not the battles so much as the individual soldiers and the social history of the war.  As I am sure you have read some of us have ancestors that fought in the war and others don't .  Doesn't really matter one way or the other all are welcome. 

I have always been interested in English history but a few years ago I rediscovered the Civil War.  Come join us often.  If you have questions just post .  We all have answers . Sometimes we all have different answers .  Glad to have a Cornwallian on the boad. 

Susan

Posted: Tue Mar 4th, 2008 08:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Thanks for the replies.

Ole - I quite agree. Not sure that I'll be in a line with a musket anytime soon, though (despite what several friends say).

Crazy - I studied political science, but only after leave university did I realise where my true interests lie. Heigh-ho!

Dixie Girl - I've only spotted one other so far. Probably more out there.

Susan - Thanks. What I like is that depending on what mood I'm in I don't have to leave the 1860s to find something good to look into (though I don't limit myself to then, just seem to keep coming back). BTW, I initially read 'Cornwallian' as 'Cromwellian'...

P.

Posted: Tue Mar 4th, 2008 09:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Kernow,  sorry about that .  It would fit the Civil War but not the American Civil War.  Cromwell was an interesting man in English history.  But did not intend to make you one of  "his men"'.  Were you a Round head or a Royalist ?

Susan

Posted: Tue Mar 4th, 2008 10:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Welcome to the crazyness Kernow.

Posted: Wed Mar 5th, 2008 01:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

What Brit have you found? as Susan said there is always something going on here and it you ever wanna talk just drop me a line and there is usually always someone one here.

Posted: Wed Mar 5th, 2008 01:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Don

Mana: 

Welcome to the group, Kernow-Ox!

Posted: Wed Mar 5th, 2008 02:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Dixie Girl says it is always good to have a few more Brits on the board so I guess I may as well throw my hat in. I live S.E England and have been reading up on the Civil War since the early 90's after getting hooked on the the Ken Burns documentary series. Since then I have collected over 200 books on the subject,  and have visited the States on numerous occasions where , with wifely approval, I have walked many of the Eastern theatre battlefields. Would love to get to the Western fields but have to temper my trips so my good lady can visit New York ( she loves the place) and to visit a good friend in Ct who we met on our first vacation to the States in '93. I have been reading these boards for a couple of years now so perhaps it's time I stopped being so lazy and contributed a bit. I knew I was hooked when one September some years ago we took a drive along the Blue Ridge Skyline Drive from Front Royal to Waynesboro, a fabulous trip if you catch the right weather, we stopped at every overlook along the way and as my wife pointed out all the marvellous scenery in the Shenandoah and Luray Valleys all I could picture were Stonewalls armies marching and countermarching.......I have friends who think I am very sad!!!!

Posted: Wed Mar 5th, 2008 02:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Welcome Fedreb.  Always nice to have another member join.  I would highy recommend the Western Theater .  Some interesting places out there.  As you know since you have been reading the postings for a while some of of got together last June and visited Franklin/Spring Hill with Eric Jacobson as our guide.  It was a fantastic week end. 

Susan

Posted: Wed Mar 5th, 2008 02:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Thank you Susan. Franklin/Spring Hill would be one of my first choices as Wiley Swords "Confederacys Last Hurrah" is one of my favourite books but with Shiloh, Wilsons Creek, Vicksburg, Pea Ridge, Chickamauga etc,etc, where does one start?? It is a dream I may fulfill one day.

Posted: Wed Mar 5th, 2008 02:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I started this whole journey I am on with Pea Ridge about 5 years ago.  Pea Ridge and Wilson's Creek are battlefields with no monuments on the battlefield.  Well each has one or two to be correct.  Wilson's Creek has a monument where Lyons died and Pea Ridge has a couple in front of Elkhorn Tavern.  When I have been to both placers I have had the field mainly to myself. 

Shiloh is still a favorite Get a copy of Cunningham's book on Shiloh and read it.

Best book on Franklin is Eric Jacobson's book For Cause & For Country.  A must read on Franklin/Spring Hill. 

Again welcome.

Susan

Posted: Wed Mar 5th, 2008 02:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Thank you Susan, I will add those 2 books to my ever lengthening "must buy"list.

Posted: Wed Mar 5th, 2008 02:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
ole

Mana: 

I have friends who think I am very sad!!!!

Join the crowd, fedreb. We all have friends who think we're tetched. I can picture standing on that overlook. It's a familiar feeling to have your wife snapping pictures of the awesome view while you're seeing nothing but Jackson's boys marching.

Miss Susan drives to Tennessee from California. She's tetched. We had a couple from New Hampshire who came on a motorcycle. (A BMW if I recall correctly.) The community has people from Colorado and Massachusetts. North and South Carolina. Florida and Idaho. There aren't that many of us, and we are all a bit tetched. So. If you are very sad, you are at least in good company.

Welcome!

ole

Posted: Wed Mar 5th, 2008 02:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Thanks ole,
nice to know I can be at home with the afflicted, besides I am getting too old now to care.

Posted: Wed Mar 5th, 2008 04:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

welcome fedreb. as i said it is always good to have a few more Brits on here. oh and please call me Dixie

Last edited on Wed Mar 5th, 2008 04:58 pm by Dixie Girl

Posted: Wed Mar 5th, 2008 06:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Hi Fedreb.

I love the Shenandoah too. Not only was the landscape amazing, but I saw several bears and a rattlesnake in the wild, which is kind of cool.

Nowt to worry about the opinions of friends: they're kind of used to it (and are just waiting for me to put on an itcy uniform - I told one I had paid my $300 so was exempt but he didn't get the joke). I feel most sorry for my hiking pard who landed in the US when I'd finished my battlefield tour (he claims the delay was due to getting leave...) and had to put up with tale after tale. In fairness, he did make the mistake of asking why the Stonewall Jackson Highway was so called.

Are you in any of the organisations, by the way?

Posted: Wed Mar 5th, 2008 07:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Hi Kernow-ox,
No, I am not in any of the organisations,I am a reader and a looker rather than a player. I have done Virginia and the Shenandoah a few times, love the place but upset now....where was my bear???? I always travel with my wife and we divide our time between the battlefields and the cities and have had some great times. Did you take in Appomattox Court House or the Museum of the Civil War Soldier at Pamplin, both good days out.
Mind you I also love Cornwall, we spent a holiday there last year and we are taking an American friend of ours down there when she visits us in June to show her the Eden Project and some of the fishing towns.

Current time is 10:11 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4409 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.