Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hello! - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 18th, 2008 03:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Thanks, Mike! I'll definitely check it out.

By the way, when you and your family biked the battlefield, did you do the whole field? About how long did it take? Were there any "tough" parts? Just asking!

Ole--are you paying attention to this? Warm that golf cart up!

Pam

Posted: Fri Jul 18th, 2008 04:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
lifl2003

Mana: 

Pam,

We covered about 12 miles in about 10 hours.  It was a relaxed pace with plenty of "off bike" time to soothe the young legs. 

I worked it out that we saw LRT, BRT, Devils Den, The Wheatfield, The Peach Orchard, West Condereate Ave, the Virgina Monument, and Picketts charge before lunch. 

I had to bring them to Friendly's on Steinwehr Ave to refresh them (they are 9 and 11) After lunch and some shopping on Steinwehr Ave we cut through the "old visitors center" and made our way down cemetery ridge back to LRT.

By the end my 9 year old daughter had enough and was wiped out.  They both did well though. 

The most difficult parts of the park was the area around LRT, and some big hills on West Confederate Ave. 

I can't wait to to it again in the fall!

Posted: Fri Jul 18th, 2008 06:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Patience, Pam. I'm still in the process of painting targets on the back of your t-shirts.

Posted: Fri Jul 18th, 2008 06:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
ole

Mana: 

By the end my 9 year old daughter had enough and was wiped out.  They both did well though. 
Your reward will come when she tells her children how much fun she had with you riding the battlefield. And then drags the little buggers off for a similar adventure.

ole

Posted: Fri Jul 18th, 2008 11:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Break out the cheese, 'cause here comes a little whine. After all my yappin about getting out of the car and doing a little hiking, the arthritis (Ed - Mr. A shows way too much respect for this #%@*%# disease) in my spine and hip jumped up and bit me this week. Ironically, as Ed points out, it was diagnosed when I hit 50. No matter the pain, I will be out stompin Manassas, Gettysburg, and Antietam in September, come hell or high water. Thank God for modern medicine. I'm also going to be checking out this bicycle thing - it sounds like a lot of fun.

Posted: Fri Jul 18th, 2008 11:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I have to agree with Ole--I think, though taking the kids along on our CW jaunts is fun, the real payoff will be for our kids' kids. I know I take my son to places I liked that my parents took me as a kid, just because I hope he'll do the same for his kids, for the same reasons (I also avoid taking him to places that I DIDN'T like--sorry mom and dad!).

It's ironic that I actually was the one who introduced my parents to the Civil War--it wasn't something they got me interested in. I took my parents to Gettysburg a few years ago to show my father where his ancestors in the 153 PA and the 149 PA fought, which was all new to him. It was a terrific experience for him!

Tim--sorry to hear about your diagnosis. But I like your attitude. Keep "soldiering" on when you can, and take along the Aleve!

Ole--sorry to have disturbed your concentration on those targets. You have about a week to finish mine. I head to Gettysburg on the 28th!

Pam

Posted: Sat Jul 19th, 2008 12:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

laudanum anyone?

Posted: Sat Jul 19th, 2008 01:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
ole

Mana: 

Double handful, Capt Crow. Thanks.

ole

Current time is 03:24 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3373 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.