Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Forgot to introduce myself - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jul 24th, 2008 03:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
BloodyBob64

Mana: 

Hi everyone! My name is Bob and I am a 20 year old history major. I live in Pennsylvania and I go to school in New Jersey. I'm rarely afforded the opportunity to talk about the Civil War with anyone and so I'm happy to come aboard. I tend to focus my studies on the Confederacy, I can't really explain it. I guess its just the whole underdog mentality. Anyway I hope I can learn some new things from all you experts out there!

P.S.- I'm not really too much a fan of "Bloody" Bill Anderson, but the Missouri theater interests me and I thought it was a good name.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Jul 24th, 2008 03:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

I tend to focus my studies on the Confederacy, I can't really explain it. I guess its just the whole underdog mentality.
Pull up a chair Bob. I too study the Confederacy because I can't really explain it either. But somewhere in the course of reading and discussing, I'll figure out why a breakaway group with virtually no industry would pick a fight with an industrial entity three times its size.

ole

Posted: Thu Jul 24th, 2008 04:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

welcome to the board BB!!!

all i have to say is diddo Bama!!!

Posted: Thu Jul 24th, 2008 08:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
BloodyBob64

Mana: 

"I'll figure out why a breakaway group with virtually no industry would pick a fight with an industrial entity three times its size."

You know something Ole, I think in alot of ways it was the approach of industry and the changes that would ensue that the South didn't want to have to face. Throughout 19th century history you see how so many countries reacted negatively to the Industrial Revoltuion.

In Japan around the 1870s, the Samurai class fought against a large, modernized, consripted army in order to preserve their old way of life. It was swords versus gatlin guns and repeating rifles. I tend to think of the South as an American samurai class fighting to preserve their old way of life. The outcome may have been assured from the start but the attempt had to be made nevertheless. Thats the way I think of it at least.

Posted: Thu Jul 24th, 2008 08:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Welcome BloodyBob!:D

What got you interested in the Missouri theater?

Posted: Thu Jul 24th, 2008 10:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Welcome "Bloody"! I too am enamored to the Confederate side of things. I have to agree the underdog thing is probably a big reason. I live here in the heart of the old trans-Mississippi theater but have just this last year or so begun to really get interested in it. I've got trips to Honey Springs, Cabin Creek, Wilson's Creek, and Pea Ridge planned for the near future.
Again welcome to the group! These are some really sharp folks and you will enjoy it immensely.

Posted: Thu Jul 24th, 2008 11:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Couldn't have said it better myself, Bama!

Welcome, BB!

Pam

Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 12:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

You know something Ole, I think in alot of ways it was the approach of industry and the changes that would ensue that the South didn't want to have to face. Throughout 19th century history you see how so many countries reacted negatively to the Industrial Revoltuion.
Excellent observation, Bob! Gives a whole new slant on the subject.

Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 02:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
BloodyBob64

Mana: 

This ones to Izzy. I think what interests me about the Missouri theater is the pure anarchy that can be seen within the state from 1854 until the end of the war. There wasn't really any effective government or military units for that whole time period and so basically it was every man for himself. War was certainly done differently there; public opinion and meddling politicians held little sway over the way things were runned. Plus characters like "Bloody" Bill, Nathaniel Lyon, Jim Lane and William Quantrill are just legendary.

Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 02:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I forget the exact connection(My half sister did the research) but as I recall Mr. Quantrill and I are related. at the time She told me this I was quite young and didn't really know who she was talking about. I should get a copy of her research and reacquaint myself with the facts. here is a link to an excellent dvd on the subject of Missouri/Kansas pre-civil war upheaval.
http://www.civilwargoods.com/displayFileInfo.asp?product_id=12

Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 05:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
David White

Mana: 

Ole and BloodyBob:

Throughout 19th century history you see how so many countries reacted negatively to the Industrial Revoltuion.

So are you guys saying that if the Confederacy were around today they would be all over the Kyoto Treaty ;).

Current time is 05:28 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3544 seconds (6% database + 94% PHP). 26 queries executed.