Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gettysburg Paranormal - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 12:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

Just wondering if there are others on this board that not only are interested in the Civil War but also the possibility of paranormal activity on these battlefields. As a part time photographer and living around 2 hours away from gettysburg i have done many many trips to gettysburg and shot thousands of pictures there. Have had a few pictures come out that are unexplainable. Would love to hear from others who have had paranormal experiences or strange pictures from the battlefield or any CW battlefield for that matter.

Also was thinking about putting a photography trip to Gettysburg together and was wondering if other CW buffs with a paramormal interest would be interested?

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 09:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Color me a skeptic but I would be curious to see any pictures you took that are "unexplainable."

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 10:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I have some I have taken Dave that are unexplained.  How did that finger get over the lens .  Whose head is that in my picture?  etc, or my favorite how did it get so out of focus. 

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 11:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

susan,  your funny,  lol.  finger, head, out of focus,  thank god for point and shoot!!!!!!!  :D

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 11:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Or my favorite: Oh, s***, I forgot to turn on the flash!

Unfortunately, in the umpteen times I've been at G-burg, as much as I try to provoke the spirirts, I've never been successful. And there's not even a Triangular Field left anymore after the timber cutting--that's the place where everyone has camera trouble. The scariest sights I've seen involved seven busloads of tourists squeezed onto LRT on a Saturday in July.  :shock:

Pam

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 12:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

Pam, have to agree with ya on the bus loads of tourists, lol.

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 12:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Truth to tell, I would LIKE to believe there are paranormal events taking place at Gettysburg and other battlefields. As a child I was certain Devil's Den was haunted. I also felt the woods around Spangler's Spring were haunted and the actual spring where both Rebs and Yanks drank together at the end of the day (though that is disputed by some.) 

Whether there really are paranormal events happening or images that might be captured with dedication of time and effort, I don't know, but I WISH there were.

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 03:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
David White

Mana: 

Susan:

LOL, perhaps it was the spirits (consumed internally of course) ;)

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 06:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

LOL David.   Actually I have never tried to take paranormal pictures .  I work one day a week in the Drum Barracks here in Wilmington California.  The only remaining building of a military post of 60 some arcres built in 1862 to keep the peace in the area.  Carlton was the first commander,  Col Curtis the one here most of the Civil War and Stoneman commanded an almost empty post in the late 1860's.  There are all kinds of legends about the place.  It has appeared on Unsolved Mysteries and Most Haunted.  In the four years I have been here I have never heard. smelled or saw anything. 

The director who is there of course more often than I am and has been there for eight years only hears noises and smells tobacco at times.  She has never seen anything. 

Maybe the reason we don't see more is neither of us wants to. 

When we have special events I am usually in the library . This room is downstairs on the North east side of the building .  It is always the coldest room.  The whole building is cold .  It is a 19th century 14 foot high ceiling woodframe building .  We have no heating in the place except small space heaters .  I had a woman once who told me the reason the library is so cold is it is the vortex for the entry into the other world.  She kept trying to prove it to me by showing me how much warmer it was in the hall than the library.  Gee maybe because the hall is narrow and doesn't have so much open area?  She was angry too as I could not allow her to take pictures.  She said she could see all kinds of things.  We do not allow pictures to be taken inside the museum.  Policy of the museum. 

I don't care if it is haunted or not.  I love the place .  Love what I am doing there once a week and special events. And I honor the men that once manned the post during trying times.  Civil War and Indian Wars afterwards. 

Susan

Posted: Fri Feb 20th, 2009 07:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

I am very interested in a trip to GB to do some paranormal investigating. I live in the next town over from you.  I've been to Gettysburg many times for events and such but never had time to devote to "ghost hunting" and would love to do it.  I have had many personal experiences throughout my life and some with witnesses so I know there is something out there.  I just never caught anything in Gettysburg...yet.

I have some equipment and am ready to ride!  ;)

Posted: Sat Feb 28th, 2009 09:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

Actually, after capturing only two unusual photos at Gettysburg in 2006 (although I've visted many times because of my interest in Civil War History), it fanned the flames of curiosity in the paranormal. 

Here's the very first photo that startled me.  It was taken on the way out of Devil's Den from my SUV.

FYI...I've posted this on other paranormal websites under a different name which I've since changed to the current handle.

Last edited on Sat Feb 28th, 2009 09:15 pm by minuteman2

Posted: Sat Feb 28th, 2009 09:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Regina

Mana: 

Hi...I regularly visit battlefields, as well as many other historic places.  I am not "into" anything paranormal--and am still something of a skeptic--so I do not seek to find anything paranormal--but I have had some extremely unusual things appear on photos, and have also experienced some other phenomena that would be considered "supernatural" when visiting battlefields.

Let me know--if you want to see the photos, I'll show them to you.

Posted: Sun Mar 1st, 2009 03:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

Minuteman2, your picture at first glance is startling because of the size of what appears to be an orb over the rock but on closer examination it appears to be just a speck of dust or something in the foreground or on your lens. It is transparent and does not emit its' own light. Nice shot though.

Posted: Sun Mar 1st, 2009 11:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

Ah, well, skeptics and naysayers always come up with the same response which I have to take with a grain of salt.

Suffice it to say, I took many photos that day and this was the only photo that showed this anomaly. Therefore, it most certainly couldn't have been a smudge on the lens (which I would have noticed on the other photos), and noone was walking around in the area whom could have kicked up dust or particles.  As I stated, I took this from my vehicle, so I certainly wasn't trampling around in the field either.

Posted: Sun Mar 1st, 2009 11:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

Regina, you should post your photos.  I certainly would be interested in seeing them as I'm sure others on this forum would as well. 

I too was not looking for anything paranormal during my visits to Gettysburg and Devil's Den.  The anomalies in my first photos (however questionable in the minds of skeptics) sparked my interest and I began taking random shots in other places, including on my own property...what a shocker! 

Unexplained images began to appear, most captured by my outdoor motion-activated game camera during daylight hours.  This is a stationery camera, battery operated, over which I have no control.  It captures what activates it and "what it sees". In time, I will post some of these.

Posted: Sun Mar 1st, 2009 03:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Regina

Mana: 

A couple of years ago, I spent a month in Hawaii--as you can imagine, I took hundreds of photos of all kinds of things.  The cemeteries there are very different from the ones around here, so I took a few pictures.  One of them has a "misty" spot right above a grave that is like an "orb" except it's more square-ish.  This is the ONLY photo of the hundreds I took that had anything on it.

As for historic places, the same pattern has occurred.  I have taken hundreds of photos.  On one 3-week trip to Gettysburg, the only picture that has anything on it is one I took at the Cashtown Inn on June 30th.  There was a group of Confederate reenactors standing outside--the photo is covered with "mist".  Again, none of the other photos have anything unusual on them.

One morning, I sat at the Eternal Peace Light and took pictures of the scenery from there.  On one picture there is a smokey blob in the field.  When you look closely at it (I swear) you can see a Confederate soldier running.  I know we all see shapes in clouds, but the photos I took of the same area--right before and right after--have no smokey blobs, and there weren't any there to see, either.  Also, other teachers that I have shown it to say it does look like a soldier (some don't see it)--it's very weird and interesting, but it's very hard to say I believe in ghosts or anything even with these photos as well as others I have taken on battlefields that are covered with orbs.  Many pictures don't have orbs--it's highly coincidental that they show up in certain places.

At my daughter's wedding--with all the hundreds of photos taken--there are no orbs--except for one picture of myself and my two sisters.  Right next to us is an orb--and we say it must be our deceased sister standing with us.

Later today, when I have more time, I'll try posting them

Posted: Sun Mar 1st, 2009 03:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

Can't wait to see the photo of the alleged Confederate Soldier.  I'm constantly searching for new pics and videos from all of our Civil War Battlefields. Hope to see them soon.

Posted: Sun Mar 1st, 2009 03:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

Minuteman2, I think you misunderstand my post. I am not a naysayer nor a skeptic. As I stated before I have had many encounters with the paranormal and truly believe that there are times that we can see, hear or feel something out there.  I personally do not hold orbs in very high esteem. There are too many other reasons for something like that to appear on a photo. True orbs are balls of energy but not necessarily of a paranormal nature. They have specific criteria which make them such and all I am saying is that I don't see those in your photo. Don't take offense if someone differs with your opinion.  I too have posted some images that I am on the fence about and get responses from both ends of the spectrum. I just like to hear what others think. I'd love to see more of your shots though.

Posted: Sun Mar 1st, 2009 09:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

No offense taken, really.  I'm aware that most, including T.A.P.S. doesn't give much credence to the presence of orbs, but I'm just saying, in that particular photo, there was no smudge on the lens and nothing walking around to create dust or particulates.  I've seen both sides presented, true orbs and false ones and I understand why some get a little excited when they see the dust fly.

As to what orbs consist of, I'm not sure, they may be just energy; whether it's "spirit" energy is another question.  I did manage to get lots of orbs on my own property when the weather was still, clear, dry and absolutely noone had been walking around at night.  So, when I get bright or unusual anomalies, I get a little excited. 

I actually captured two bright round "orb-like" anomalies around two of my family members while taking random shots, but consecutive shots showed none.  I'm far from having any expertise, but can discern between dust, camera straps and similar false anomalies that I've seen in other photos.

That's what this forum is all about, right?  Opinions, pros and cons.  Hopefully, we can keep it going and have fun in the process.

Posted: Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 01:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
sunnylady408
Lady Reenactor

Mana: 

My daughter had a experience at the Prairie Grove Battlefield last year when she went on a walk with the captain of our unit and his wife. She was standing by a tree, dressed out in her camp dress, and nobody was near her. She says that she felt a hand on her shoulder. As she was running to me at the doghouse she said it happened again but that time she felt two hands on her. We just had the reenactment there in December and I took pictures of our company Christmas party and the dance in the Latta Barn. In some of the pictures there are orbs, in most just a one or two but the picture I have of Christina there are lots around her. She was not feeling well and she says they were there to protect her and enjoy the music. Since this time she sees more and more of the spirits (if that is what you want to call them) whenever we go to Prairie Grove. We will be at Pea Ridge Military Park this weekend for the 147th anniversary living history. She is already wondering if she will have the same experience there as well.
I never really believed in such things until then. I could tell by the look on her face that she was telling me the truth. Christina is 14 yrs old and way to old to make something like this up. She gets nervous when you mention another walk at night around the battlefields.

There are some that believe and some that do not believe. We all have our own opinions on this subject. I, for one, feel like that since these men died in such drastic and horrible fashion that their spirits are still on the fields they died on. Remember these men did not get to die in the arms of their loved ones as they would of liked to.

Just my opinion from a mothers view.

Current time is 03:46 amPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4407 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 25 queries executed.