Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hello everyone - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Feb 23rd, 2006 09:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
LTBunten

Mana: 

Hi, my name is Paula, I am 39 from Pittsburgh. I have been interested in the CW most of my life but only got serious about it 4 or 5 years ago. I am not a reenactor, but I am a darn good spectator!! I am planning a three day weekend in Gettysburg in a few weeks, my first since elementary school (I think it is a PA state law that all elementary school children have to go to Gettysburg). I would really appreciate any advice on what not to miss while I am there.

Thanks,

Paula

Posted: Fri Feb 24th, 2006 02:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Paula,

Welcome aboard.  Somehow I do think it is a state law in PA. that all residents must visit Gettysburg at least once. :)

As for what not to miss, seeing as this is your first visit in a long time, your first stop should be at the Visitor Center.  While there, check to see if thre are any Ranger led tours going on the days you will be there.  They are highly informative, and well worth the time spent.  The driving tour of the battlefield has changed quite a bit since your last visit, and when you do the tour, I hope you allow quite some time for it.  Always tell folks that they should park their cars, get out and take a stroll over the ground, as that is the best way to see the various monuments, and soak up the atmosphere of the place.  You will also note many changes on the Battlefield as well, as the NPS has done a fine job of getting the field to look like as it did back in July of 1863.

If I can be of any help, feel free to post your questions in here, as Gettysburg is my second home, and can offer quite a lot of tips to help make your visit an even more pleasant one.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Fri Feb 24th, 2006 10:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
LTBunten

Mana: 

Thank you Steve, you have been very helpful.

Paula

Posted: Fri Feb 24th, 2006 12:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Welcome Paula - took us awhile to get you over some sign-up hurdles, but I knew we could do it! Don't forget to use the "My Account" button in the top right, then the "Profile" tab, and change your e-mail address to your own, since we had to sign you up under a CWi address.

As for Gettysburg, only thing I would add to Base's post as far as the field is that if you have a spare $35 bucks or so and really want an in-depth guide, try a personalized ranger guide. They'll even drive your car so you have time to gaze out the window! (or at least they did last time I was there). If you have a particular interest, they'll customize a tour for you.

Of course, you have to eat. My recomendations: Breakfast - Avenue Restaraunt on Steinwehr Ave. Lunch - Gingerbread Man, also on Steinwehr. Dinner - gotta try the Game Pie at Farnsworth House at least once!

Have a great time, and welcome to the board....

Posted: Fri Feb 24th, 2006 08:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
LTBunten

Mana: 

Thanks so much Joe. I thought the ranger guide would cost more, I may have to do that (I hope he can drive a stick!!). And thanks for the restaurant tips--don't want to miss out on a good meal!! I am currently reading Stephen Sears' "Gettysburg" and George Sheldon's "When the Smoke Cleared at Gettysburg", any other suggestions on reading material?

Thanks again,

Paula

Posted: Sat Feb 25th, 2006 02:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Of course, you have to eat. My recomendations: Breakfast - Avenue Restaraunt on Steinwehr Ave. Lunch - Gingerbread Man, also on Steinwehr. Dinner - gotta try the Game Pie at Farnsworth House at least once!

Have a great time, and welcome to the board....

Javal,

LOL.  I always forget about the food part when folks ask me about Gettysburg. :)  Oh well, will add another fine breakfast site.  The Lincoln Diner.  Good omelettes there.

Hope all is well.

Steve

Last edited on Sat Feb 25th, 2006 02:32 am by Basecat

Posted: Sat Feb 25th, 2006 04:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

I second Joe on the Gingerbread Man.  I have eaten dinner there twice and love the place.  The crabcakes are wondeful as is the gingerbread.  My friends and I found it actually by accident the first time.  Last time I was in Gettysburg I made sure I went back.

As to sites to see. I agree a tour guide that drives your car is wonderful  I didn't do that at Gettysburg but did at Vicksburg.  Best 35 dollars I could have spent.  You can actually look at the sights and not have to worry about driving.  Dont forget to get out of the car as suggested and make sure you go up to the top of Round Top and look down . 

Here in California all students in 4th grade seem to have to make a Mission one of the21 in the state.  When I was in school we all made one together out of sugar cubes.   Made the Los Angeles Times too!!!

Susan

Posted: Sat Feb 25th, 2006 05:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Kent Nielsen

Mana: 

Hi if you're still looking for good books to read on the battle you've already been given a good list, but I would also add two books by Craig Symonds which is published by Ameriacan Heriatage and by Noah Andre Trudeau. As far as restaurants in Gettysburg go, there was one when I was there in 1999, called the Reverend Dabb's. I thought the food there was quite good.

Last edited on Sun Feb 26th, 2006 07:06 am by Kent Nielsen

Posted: Sun Feb 26th, 2006 03:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
LTBunten

Mana: 

Thanks Kent, I made a trip to the local used book store yesterday and picked up the Noah Andre Trudeau book. Looks like I have a bit of reading to do, but I'm really excited about this trip. Thanks again and I hope everyone is well.

Paula

Posted: Tue Apr 11th, 2006 10:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
dlcowger

Mana: 

We are planning a trip to Gettysburg in July.  Would be interested in hearing how your trip went.

Dale

Posted: Tue Apr 11th, 2006 11:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
LTBunten

Mana: 

I had a great time!! I bought an audio tour at the visitor's center and did that--it took about 3 hours, and also did the tour with the battlefield guide who drives your car--it is now $45--but worth every penny. The weather was unseasonably warm for mid-March, and it wasn't crowded. If you would like to see some pics check out  http://photos.yahoo.com/firstbase31  and click on Gettysburg. Hope this helps and hope all are well.

Paula

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Apr 15th, 2006 01:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Shadowrebel

Mana: 

Paula,

Thank you for sharing your pictures you have some interesting pictures on your page.

John

Posted: Sat Apr 15th, 2006 01:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
dlcowger

Mana: 

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice.  I am building a list of recommendations.

Dale

Posted: Sat Apr 15th, 2006 03:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
LTBunten

Mana: 

You are quite welcome John, thanks for the compliment. :cool:

Paula

Current time is 06:52 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3800 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 26 queries executed.