Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hello Everyone - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Aug 12th, 2009 12:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Merryn

Mana: 

Hello everyone. I've lurked a long time here and finally got up the nerve to sign up and introduce myself. I admit to being intimidated--I've been a bit of a Civil War nut since fifth grade, but the wealth of knowledge here is truly humbling. I hope to ask some questions and listen and learn!

My particular interest is from a fiction writer's perspective. I wrote a play once that was set in modern Dublin; between reading lots of Roddy Doyle, and being able to visit the city and listen to the voices around me, I was able to put those voices on the page. That contributed a great deal to the success of the play. It's been a bigger challenge to make 1863 come alive, but I want very much to do justice to it.

Posted: Wed Aug 12th, 2009 01:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Welcome to the board Merrynn. No need to be intimidated - we don't bite.

Best of luck on your future projects!

Posted: Wed Aug 12th, 2009 02:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Old North State

Mana: 

Merryn, welcome!
What interests you about 1863?  Is it Grant's Vicksburg Campaign, Rosecrans and Bragg at Chickamauga or Bragg v. Grant at Chattanooga?  Is it Earl Van Dorn's demise at Spring Hill?  What about W.T. Sherman's near capture at Collierville by Chalmers' cavalry?  Forrest's activities?  Wilder's Lightning Brigade with their Spencers?  There was certainly a lot going on out here in the Western Theater.  I hope you aren't stuck up at Gettysburg!
Again, welcome!

Posted: Wed Aug 12th, 2009 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I love the story of Sherman's near capture at Collierville. My cousin lives right next to the tracks . The inccident happened a mile or two from where she now lives.
Susan

Posted: Thu Aug 13th, 2009 12:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Merryn

Mana: 

Ha! No, not Gettysburg. (Though I'd love to visit the battlefield some day.) On the military side of things, I'm particularly interested in Chancellorsville in the east and the Vicksburg Campaign in the west.

On more of a "home front" level--aside from just the details of daily life for people at the time--there was an interesting event here in New Orleans, in July 1863, when a white Catholic priest defied the Archbishop and officiated at a military funeral for a black soldier. It's not my main focus but I think it would be fascinating as a background event.

Thanks very much for the kind welcome. :)

Posted: Thu Aug 13th, 2009 12:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Welcome, what a coincidence, watching the movie, Once. Great music,

Doc C

Posted: Sat Aug 15th, 2009 12:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Welcome aboard, Merryn! My interest in the Civil War comes from the ancestor I had fighting in the 153rd PA, so after Gettysburg, my second favorite battle to read about and visit is Chancellorsville. That's chronologically backwards, I know, but I live closer to Gettysburg than Chancellorsville.

You'll like the people who hang out here. Some of us know more than others, but everyone is very willing to share. This is a good place to learn and enjoy!

Pam

Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2009 10:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Scarlett

Mana: 

Welcome to the board Merryn! Hope you have a lot of fun learning about the Civil War and good luck on your project!

Current time is 12:40 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3319 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 25 queries executed.