Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

New board member - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Apr 12th, 2006 12:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Powdermonkey

Mana: 

Hello, I'm new to this board. I'm a reenactor (11 years) with the Norfolk Light Artillery a unit of the National Civil War Assn. here in Northern California. http://www.ncwa.org. I occasionally reenact as an officer but usually as Gun.Sgt. for our new 3 in.Ordnance Rifle purchased last year from Steen Cannon's in Ky. We plan on being at Gettysburg this year, maybe we will see some of you there.

Posted: Wed Apr 12th, 2006 12:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Powdermonkey,

Welcome to the board. I know one member who's going to be thrilled to see another California member... I'm sure you'll be hearing from her soon. Anyway welcome, and feel free to jump right in!

Posted: Fri Apr 14th, 2006 03:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Powdermonkey

Mana: 

Thanks very much for the welcome. I'm supprised that there are not more Calif. people on the board. We are quiet active out here history wise. I have been checking the CWI board for several years, then they went commercial a few years back. Glad to see that now once again the board is open to all. Lots of good info up here.

Posted: Fri Apr 14th, 2006 05:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Would that be me Joe?   Hi powder monkey I am in Southern California.  I am a docent at the Drum Barracks in Wilmington.    Do you reenact at Fresno?  I was there last year.    Welcome to the board.

Susan

Posted: Sat Apr 15th, 2006 03:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Powdermonkey

Mana: 

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, our club the NCWA is the host for the Fresno event. I have been at each event for the last 10 years. It's the largest annual event this side of the Mississippi. We do three days there. We have a school day on Friday before the event that has been very well recieved. We get about 4000 kids for the day. Hopefully you will come out and introduce yourself this year.

Posted: Sun Apr 16th, 2006 05:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

If I am there I will be with the Cowboy Cultural Committee from Visalia that makes the cowboy cobbler in dutch ovens.  Also the biscuits and gravy .  We are hoping to be there this year. 

Best cobbler around. 

Posted: Sun Apr 16th, 2006 05:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Powdermonkey

Mana: 

Sure is the best cobbler around! Had some last year. Then you must know Tom and Becki Buchmann. They are with that group as well, but at Fresno they are part of our artillery unit. They are in the James River Squadron of the Confederate Navy. They live in Exeter I believe. Not sure about that spelling

Posted: Sun Apr 16th, 2006 05:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Sure do know Tom and Becki .  Good people.  Small world isn't it. 

Posted: Sun Apr 16th, 2006 05:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Powdermonkey

Mana: 

It certainly is a small world! Becki has been our Club treasurer for the past several years and finally has decided to take a break this year. Maybe she can enjoy herself more at the events without all the official stuff that keeps poping up. I can sure relate, started out as a Pvt. Cannoneer and then started moving up the ranks to Capt.. The farther up you go the farther away you get from why you really joined the hobby...shooting cannons and talking to people. So..now that we have a new cannon, I just run it as Gun.Sgt. and enjoy myself. My wife is also a Gun.Sgt. for another piece, so I'm kept pretty busy with all the "extras" that are required to keep them up and ready. I retired a couple of years ago after 30 years as a police officer, so we just travel around reenacting and doing school presentations etc.Lots of fun.

Posted: Mon Apr 17th, 2006 01:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Oh you were one of the cannoneers.  That was one of the best parts last year.  It truely is a small world.

Current time is 03:52 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3789 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 25 queries executed.