Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Greetings - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 12th, 2006 09:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
wanderson

Mana: 

Hello.  I am new to the disussion board, but have been enjoying the web site for several months.  You are a knowledgeable lot!  My great, great, ever-so-great uncle served in the 7th Iowa Infantry (Vol.).   A different (living!) uncle and I are both Civil War buffs and have enjoyed visiting Shiloh, Vicksburg, Chickamauga and surrounding areas.

I would appreciate some book recommendations, particularly regarding Grant's experience between the surrender of Vicksburg and Chattanooga.  Any recommendations on the Atlanta campaign?

Many thanks.

Posted: Tue May 23rd, 2006 01:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Kent Nielsen

Mana: 

Hi Wanderson and welcome to the board. :)If U can give me a few days I'll try to give you a list. Hopefully some of the others who are more knowledgeable then me  will too.

Posted: Tue May 23rd, 2006 03:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
wanderson

Mana: 

Thank you very much, Kent.  I look forward to your recommendations!

wanderson

Posted: Fri May 26th, 2006 02:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
David White

Mana: 

Wanderson:

Welcome.  For Grant during the period you requested I always like an oldie but goodie in Bruce Catton's "Grant Takes Command."  It starts with the period you want but continues to the end of the war.

As to the Atlanta Campaign it is hard to beat Albert Castel's "Decision in the West." 

Posted: Tue May 30th, 2006 04:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
wanderson

Mana: 

Thank you very much, Mr. White.  I will follow your recommendations.  I've enjoyed Catton's A Stillness at Appomattox several times.

Happy Memorial Day to you.

Wanderson

Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2006 08:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Kent Nielsen

Mana: 

Hi Wanderson. Sorry that the "few days" turned into nearly  over months.  I don't have any recommendations for dealing with Grant between Vicksburg and Chattanooga that would improve upon Mr. White's suggestions, but I do have some addtional suggestions for reading on the Atlanta Campaign. 1) War So Terrible: Sherman And Atlanta by James Lee McDonough and James Pickett Jones. 2) Atlanta 1864: Last Chance For The Confederacy By Richard McMurry 3) Atlanta Will Fall: Sherman Joe Johnston and the Yankee Heavy Batallions by Stephen Davis. The last two books were published in AFTER Dr. Castel's book and War So Terrible was published in 1987. I hope this will help. Again I apologize for the delay in posting a reply.

Posted: Thu Jul 20th, 2006 10:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
wanderson

Mana: 

Dear Mr. Nielsen,

Thank you very much for the time and attention you gave my request.  I will get the books you recommend and very much look forward to reading them.    They should help to fill in some big gaps in my CW library.

No worries re: the delayed response: my turnaround time on projects is getting slower, too!

Many thanks,

Win Anderson

Posted: Fri Jul 21st, 2006 12:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Kent Nielsen

Mana: 

Hi back and you're very welcome. Thanks for your patience in waiting. Actually I had another couple of ideas for books. One is "Atlanta" by Jacob Dolson Cox. It was published in 1880, but has been reprinted several times. It's not very big and is mostly from the Union perspective, but Cox was aware of some of the issues that divided the Confederate leadership. There is also "Echoes of Battle:The Atlanta Campaign " edited by Larry Strayer and Stephen Baumgartner. It's a collection of accounts of the campaign by veterans of both sides. All of this should give you a good head start. Enjoy your reading.:)

Last edited on Fri Jul 21st, 2006 02:18 am by Kent Nielsen

Current time is 06:00 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3298 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 25 queries executed.