Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

New here and currently doing research - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 24th, 2006 03:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

I'm new to this and I'm enjoying reading other posts.  I am currently doing research on my gggrandpa who faught with the 78th O.V.V.I.co E.  I just finished reading "Mustered In-Mustered Out" I am facinated by it and it sparked a deeper intrest in the Civil War.  I participated in Living History when I was a kid with my dad.  I have lots of questions and hope you all can help.

Posted: Fri Oct 27th, 2006 12:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Welcome Fuller, what kind of questions do you have?

Posted: Fri Oct 27th, 2006 02:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

I am looking for any info about the Ohio 78Th reg.  Any cool stories, photos of enlisted men, newsclippings, etc. 

Posted: Sun Oct 29th, 2006 03:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Sarah Elizabeth

Mana: 

Maybe you've checked these sites already.  If not, I've found them to be good sources:

http://www.civilwararchive.com

http://www.wardhousebooks.com

Good luck with the research!

Sarah

Posted: Sat Dec 29th, 2007 12:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
grgrams

Mana: 

If you are interested, a friend has a two book diary of her ggf John A. Henderson of Co A.  It begins Jan of 1864 and ends in May 1865.  She would like to sell it.  Let us know if you are interested.

Posted: Sat Dec 29th, 2007 05:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Don

Mana: 

Welcome to the Forum, Fuller.

Posted: Sat Dec 29th, 2007 07:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Gracias Don but perhaps I should be welcoming you! :)  I've been on this board for little over a year.  I have a feeling I will be gathering info on the 78th for as long as I'm able to nag people for advice and info.  I've met lots of very nice people willing to help and share along the way.

How's Colorado?  I lived in and around Aurora for about 7 years. 

And thank you grgrams for the tip on the journals.  I wish I had a journal for all the family members of mine who were in the war.  hypothetically....If I had a journal I'm certain I would sell my bed, computer and a kidney before I would sell the journals.  But that's just crazy ol me.  What I have loved coming across in my research is when family members send in digitized versions of journals.  That means someone took the time to type it all out for many others to enjoy and learn from.  Not just end up on the dusty shelf of a collector.  Is she certain she wants to sell them?!

Fuller

Posted: Sat Dec 29th, 2007 10:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ah but the important question Fuller is would you sell your first born?  Just joking.  How are you ?   Happy New Year to you and yours.

Susan

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2007 01:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Depends on the day Susan...Mmwuhahaha....kidding. 

I'm great thanks for asking.  I hope you have a great New Years too. 

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2007 03:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
grgrams

Mana: 

My friend doesn't have a choice.  She needs life saving medical work and has no insurance.  She will sell both diaries, a GAR medal in wonderful shape, and an image thast sounds like a full plate GAR photo.  I haven't seen the image, baut John Hendereson is shown in the picture.  She would like to get $3300 for the package.  I have seen the diaries.  They are in great shape, very legfible, detailed, and has some battle descriptions in Tennessee and in Georgia.

I have no financial interest since I am strictly a cavalry guy and primarily interested in the horse of the Civil War.  I am just trying to help a friend as best I can.

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2007 06:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

You're a good friend to help her out when she really needs it.  That's an impressive collection especially all coming from the same soldier.  (Quite the coink-a-dink that Henderson is a family name of mine.) 

The journals should include some cool insights on the march through Georgia?  I'm assuming there are several more if he enlisted earlier.  Does she know if there are others?  I don't think you will have a problem selling them.  Maybe you could help her out and take the items to be professionally printed and copies made before she sells them.  Even Kinkos does a great job with tintypes and such.  She's in a horrible situation but future generations will appreciate the effort.

Good luck and take care.

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2007 08:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
grgrams

Mana: 

Thanks, but I barely know this gal.  Anybody in her position could use some help.  I have seen the diary and there are quite a few descriptions of the march thru Georgia including some really neat battle descriptions.  In addition, there are lots of mentions of other soldiers and some descriptions of skirmishes and battles in Tennessee.  The detail was amazing.  You would almost think he was the company lexographer or accountant. 

The writer was quite literate and around 70% of the diary is as readable (legible) as if it was written today.  The other 30% is readable with some effort.  The pensmanship is excellent.  There is a numbered and dated GAR medal that goes with the diaries as well as a photograph (post war) of Henderson and the rest of company "A".

For the right buyer out there, this is an amazing find.  An Ohio collector or a Company A of the 78th OVVI would go nuts over these diaries, but you are right, it will take just the right buyer.  I loved and felt honored reading the diaries, but they are just not my deal.  Now, if it weas the work of a soldier at a re-mount station...

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2007 10:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
ole

Mana: 

I sympathize with your friend who must part with such an heirloom for a paltry $3300. I spent about a half-hour this afternoon wondering where I could come up with the cash. I found the way, but the justification is lacking. I would hope that your friend experiences a bidding war and gets better offers.

ole

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2007 11:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Don

Mana: 

Fuller,

I miss Virginia, but am happy to be back in Colorado. I missed the mountains, though the battlefeidl stomping and research sources were very nice.

I work in Golden at the moment, so can find Aurora 3 out of 5 times on a good day. Still getting used to Denver locations and traffic... 8^P

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2007 11:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Don

Mana: 

*perk*  Did someone say "cavalry" and "the horse in the Civil War"?:D

Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2007 01:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
ole

Mana: 

Horses? We don't got no horses! We don't need no stinkin' horses!

ole

Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2007 03:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Don

Mana: 

"Badges," Ole. We don't need no stinkin' "badges".... And I definitely 'heard' grgrams mention horses.

Don't you have a thread or three of your own that you're supposed to be commenting on? Something about Gettysburg? 8^)

Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2007 03:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Don

Mana: 

Hm, have re-thought about the above post since last night and dedcided some clarification is in order. While my tongue is generally firmly entrenched in cheek, I didn't mean anything disrespectful to Ole by the above post. Hopefully it wasn't taken that way. If it was, my apologies.

Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2007 03:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
ole

Mana: 

Don't need no badgers either.

ole

Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2007 03:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
grgrams

Mana: 

Absolutely!  It is about time the stinkin' foot pounders learned something about the noble beaste that takes us on our dedicated mission of stealin' chickins for the pot!;)

Current time is 04:58 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2106 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 24 queries executed.