Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Green things and Salivations - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Dec 2nd, 2006 03:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Hello all... been a lurker here for a long time.  Figured I would go ahead and join.

See some familiar faces and names... hope to ennjoy the site as much as CWT, the AC and others.

Posted: Sat Dec 2nd, 2006 03:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
calcav

Mana: 

Greeting Johan, welcome aboard.

Tom (calcav)

Posted: Mon Dec 4th, 2006 06:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Widow

Mana: 

Hi, Johan,

Welcome in here.  Now everybody can talk to you, and you have to answer back in self-defense.

Your profile says your favorite general is Emory Upton, but that picture looks very much like the actor in Gettysbeard who played Brigadier General James L. Kemper, a fellow named Boyce D. Applegate.  You know, the one whom Pickett introduced to Col. Fremantle as "a politician from Vuh-jin-yuh."  (Yes, I looked it up on my DVD, I don't carry that trivia in my head. :))  <----double chin-grin.)

Questions about your alias and cover:  What does "SUVCW Camp 48, Legion Post 352" stand for?  And your location: what does "South of the North 40" mean?

Nosy readers want to know.

Patty

Posted: Mon Dec 4th, 2006 12:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Patty;

Picture is actualy me at an event a couple years ago.  I portray an enlisted man... bit of a soundral but an honorable sort of scum.

SUVCW = Sons Union Veterans Civil War Camp #48 and Legion Post # 352 is my American Legion Post.  I'm a proud vet w/ a long family history of serving this great country.

South of the North 40... well I live south of the north 40 which is a reference to a farming term; I grew up in an agricultural community. :)  I'm a mod on another board and a year or so back I was getting hate mail; an individual figured out where I lived and sent some to my house.  I get enough junk mail as it is.

Widow wrote:
Hi, Johan,

Welcome in here.  Now everybody can talk to you, and you have to answer back in self-defense.

Your profile says your favorite general is Emory Upton, but that picture looks very much like the actor in Gettysbeard who played Brigadier General James L. Kemper, a fellow named Boyce D. Applegate.  You know, the one whom Pickett introduced to Col. Fremantle as "a politician from Vuh-jin-yuh."  (Yes, I looked it up on my DVD, I don't carry that trivia in my head. :))  <----double chin-grin.)

Questions about your alias and cover:  What does "SUVCW Camp 48, Legion Post 352" stand for?  And your location: what does "South of the North 40" mean?

Nosy readers want to know.

Patty

Posted: Mon Dec 4th, 2006 02:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Dear honorable scoundrel,

Nothing in here is junk mail or hate mail.  We're honorable scoundrels too.

That double-chin grin emoticon I tried to make didn't come out right.  The software replaced my characters with the smiley.  So I'll try again.

Double-chin grin----> ((:

I have the greatest respect for all our vets, who serve and protect our nation with loyalty, patriotism, and sacrifice.  Thank you for your service.

Did your scoundrely private serve under General Emory Upton?  Wasn't Upton was in the VI Corps at the Battle of the Wilderness?

Why is Upton your favorite general?  An ancestor, perhaps?

Patty, the Widow Wheeler

Posted: Mon Dec 4th, 2006 09:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

LOL Widow Patty  Actually I portray a scoundraly Corporal... bit of a thief, not a terribly nice guy towards civilians and a man who could care less about anyone but his men.

7 years USAF & USAFR

General Upton is a man who always intrigued me, a young grad of West Point who commanded, in turn, Arty, Inf & Cav and did very well w/ each branch.  Yes he was at the Wilderness, Spotsylvania and later commanded Cav under Wilson on the Selma campaign.   After the war he went on to be the commandant of West Point a enacted major reforms in the US Army that got it pointed into the 20th Century.  Unfortunately, he commited suicide after his wife died; he loved her w/ his heart & soul and when she died he kind of fell apart.

Posted: Tue Dec 12th, 2006 01:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
sjh

Mana: 

The plan that eventually breached the Confederate lines at Spotsylvania essentially originated with Upton.  I have studied him a little but never knew of his post-war career and horrible fate.  Thanks for the information.

SJH

Posted: Sat Dec 16th, 2006 02:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Johan,

So what does "plowing the back 40" mean anyways?  Uhhh maybe I don't really want to know.  Welcome to this board.

Fuller

Posted: Sat Dec 16th, 2006 03:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

Fuller:

In the newer states (Iowa, Minnesota, the Dakotas) farms were typically 160 acres-- 1/4-mile square. Farming practice was to divide that into 40-acre fields. This 40 was in corn, that 40 was in oats or wheat, this 40 in hay, that one in another.  Crop rotation would call for a different crop in each field each year. The home 40 would b the buildings, pasture, garden, etc. Each 40 was, not surpisingly, a north forty, east forty... Johan is proclaiming his agricultural upbringing.

Ole

Posted: Sat Dec 16th, 2006 03:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

ole,

I'm a city slicker and I just remember in HS hearing that term and it was soon followed with laughter from anyone in earshot.  I never got the joke.

Fuller

Current time is 02:36 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3584 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 26 queries executed.