Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

early baseball - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 23rd, 2014 01:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

My favorite quote from baseball history came from Babe Ruth when he was asked if it was proper for him to earn a higher salary than that of the President of the United States. He justified it by saying: "I had a better year than he did."

In 1930, Babe Ruth made more money than the President of the United States! -

He certainly had a point, as I doubt that Mr. Hoover enjoyed being the President in 1930.

Professional baseball now has greatly changed from earlier times. I remember well some great players in the 1950s like Willie Mays and Ernie Banks, who seemed to play for the love of the game and were loyal to the teams that employed them. The free agency thing changed all of this, and made players into: "Hired guns" who would play for the highest bidder.

To me, it is obscene that someone would be paid 32 million a year to play a game, but people make what the market will bear. Owners make so much money with their TV contracts and high ticket prices (You can't get into a major league game for 75 cents any more) that they can afford team salaries in the hundreds of millions per year.

The link I posted above says that 32 million is eight times the salary of the President of the United States, but of course that is a gross mathematical error (People seems to have much more trouble with math nowadays, which might be why so many of them are deeply in debt). Actually, 32 million is EIGHTY times the annual presidential salary.

Salaries of the President, Vice President, and Other U.S. Officials | Infoplea

Perhaps this says something about our national priorities. Many things besides baseball have profoundly changed since the middle of the last century. No doubt in some ways, the country has improved, but in more, I fear, it has not.

Last edited on Fri May 23rd, 2014 02:56 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Fri May 23rd, 2014 10:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

To me, TD, obscene is any of these athletes who have these multi million dollar contracts that basically ensure they still make like five million a game even if they do nothing more than sit on the bench for the entire game. At least if an athlete spends some time on the field/court actively taking part in the game then at least I can say they did some work for what the make per game. Even though I think their incredibly overpaid even for that. But to get paid millions and just sit on the bench is ridiculous.

Posted: Sat May 24th, 2014 03:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
wondering

Mana: 

If owners hadn't stiffed players so long the pendulum wouldn't have swung so far, but it is time for a reckoning. Imagine today if some unknown great ballplayer wandered off the farm and said, no sweat, I don't want a contract, give it to charity, I play for free, got no owner. If he hit for average, won games, he could be President. That's still the power of baseball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM :)

Current time is 03:53 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3137 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 25 queries executed.