Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Haven't We Seen This Before? - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Aug 8th, 2006 01:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I guess nobody learned anything from the DisneyWorld/Manassas fiasco...

Army considers military theme park plan

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

FORT BELVOIR, Va. -- The Army is considering a proposal to allow a private developer to build a military theme park that would include "4D" rides and bars including a "1st Division Lounge."

Military officials said a massive entertainment and hotel complex built next to a national Army museum could draw more than 1 million people a year. But authorities in Fairfax County are objecting because of already traffic-clogged roads surrounding the proposed site. Read Article

Posted: Tue Aug 8th, 2006 02:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Yes we have.  I've always liked the idea and supported the concept even when it was planned for the wrong location the first time (put it in Florida or someplace in the DC area that is not next to a real historic site).  I can get behind this one as there is (I assume) nothing of historic significance there except the fort, which is of minor historic significance and not really maintained as a "historic location" like Ft. Monroe, Ft. Sam Houston, Ft. Sill, Ft. Riley and others are.

Posted: Tue Aug 8th, 2006 02:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

David -

I understand your point. Some concerns I have include the fact that I would imagine that a place like the Army Museum receives many visitors who wish to reflect and remember the deeds of our servicemen. It may be hard with the sounds of people screaming on a roller coaster next door. Also, just outside the gates of the fort lies Washington Mills State Park, and Mt. Vernon is only 3 miles away. Like I said, your point is valid, but it still bothers me

Current time is 04:01 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1514 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 25 queries executed.