Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Remember the Alamo today! - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Mar 6th, 2007 07:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

The Alamo fell 171 years ago today, on March 6, 1836.....

Posted: Tue Mar 6th, 2007 09:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
medicboymatt

Mana: 

Remember the Alamo! I remember it like it was yesterday. My post was in the basement, Col. Travis had directed me to hold it at all costs. I heard a lot of noise that morning, and then it got quiet, so I was able to take a nap. When I woke up, everybody was gone.

Posted: Tue Mar 6th, 2007 09:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Remember it indeed.  I highly advise visiting San Antonio if you ever get the chance.  Such a fun place.

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

I was a Texan once. ;)

Fuller

Posted: Tue Mar 6th, 2007 10:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

"Texans always move them"-Robert E. Lee

Just like Lee said, except that there weren't any "native texans" at the alamo. Bowie was born here in Kentucky where I'm at, as were several others I think (I am ashamed to say I had no idea today was the day 171 years ago the alamo fell. Thanks JoaniReb for reminding us. I'll have to put down my unit history of the Iron Brigade for a time while I brush back up on all things having to do with the Alamo and the Texas war for independence...If I don't get an A on my test tommorow I'm blaming you Joan for "making me" read about the Alamo!:)

Posted: Tue Mar 6th, 2007 11:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Mr. MedicBoy Matt - only a scholar could have made such a joke - I'm guessing that when you woke up Mr. DAVID (as he preferred to be called) Crockett was gone, so you just went home and never saw your comrades again, LOL?

Mr. Fuller - I thought once a Texan, always a Texan - admit, it, it's still in your blood, which is why you were Johnny-on-the Spot: Very Quick to post a reply.

Mr.  Kentucky_Orphan - well the Iron Brigade is certainly worth reading about, but Not Today, LOL!  I've got to admit, whenever I feel like I am being intimidated by people whom would intimidate me, I hear, "Texans, My Brave Texans, You must not run from Those People" ringing in my ears, and I grow a new backbone - and I've never even lived in Texas....but, such was Lee, and the Texans, about 25 years after the Alamo had fallen.

Last edited on Wed Mar 7th, 2007 05:17 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Tue Mar 6th, 2007 11:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
medicboymatt

Mana: 

Yes, Miss Joanie, and it was especially disturbing because the Distinguished Gentleman from Tennessee owed me twenty bucks.

Posted: Tue Mar 6th, 2007 11:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Oh, My, Mr. MedicBoyMatt,

You do know your stuff!  Is TWBTS your primary historical study, or are you a "general" (no bad military pun intended) student of American history?

Last edited on Tue Mar 6th, 2007 11:53 pm by JoanieReb

Posted: Tue Mar 6th, 2007 11:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
medicboymatt

Mana: 

No, Miss Joanie, my primary historical focus as an adult has been on maritime and WW2 history. The history of the War of Northern Aggression was my first love when I was a toddler, and I have returned to it in recent years. 

Now, what about you, Dear Lady? What brings you to these Hallowed and Learned Boards?  

Posted: Wed Mar 7th, 2007 12:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I just remembered, there is a thread here where people post about how they became scholars of TWBTS - let us move this discussion there....

Posted: Wed Mar 7th, 2007 01:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I do hope, that just because I asked that a discussion about how we came, (each in His/Her own way) to study TWBTS be moved to the another board, that this doesn't stop interested parties from discussing The Alamo here!

Last edited on Wed Mar 7th, 2007 01:57 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Wed Mar 7th, 2007 01:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Last edited on Wed Mar 7th, 2007 04:02 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Wed Mar 7th, 2007 05:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I did not expect when I went to the Alamo to be as moved as I was . There it is in the middle of downtown surounded .  I found a quiet corner of the garden and called my brother in Boston.  He had been stationed in San Antonio in the Air Force years ago.  I asked him if he had been there and how he had felt seeing it . It was a great conversation sharing my experience and comparing it with his . We both had been moved .  Was such a neat thing as I was by myself to share this experience long distance with one of my favorite people, my brother. 

I went from there to Houston and out to San Jacinto Monument and battleground.  There I was lucky enough to get on a ferry to go over to the area in the spot where the settlers had evacuated ahead of Santa Ana.  Because of my California plates I attracted attention so the guys working on the ferry came over and told gave me a guided tour as we crossed on the Ferry.   Then the battlefield .  Great experience Texas was.  Will remember the Alamo !!!!

Posted: Wed Mar 7th, 2007 06:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

There were most definately native born Texans who died defending the Alamo. Among those agreed upon were:

Juan Abamillo of San Antonio

Juan Badillo of San Antonio

Carlos Espalier of San Antonio

Gregorio Esparza of San Antonio (An expert artilleryman).(His wife and children were present at the Alamo. They were spared, and his 12 year old son, Enrique ,was able to give an account of some of the battle).

Antonio Fuentes of San Antonio

Andres Nava of San Antonio

Some accounts also include Toribio Domingo Losoya, a member of Juan Seguin's company.

They were mostly locals, who could have sat out the event. But they felt that their rights were violated by the Mexican government, so they chose to fight.

They were Texas heroes, and their place in history should not be overlooked.

Last edited on Wed Mar 7th, 2007 06:57 am by Texas Defender

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Mar 7th, 2007 07:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

I had a relative that  was in the taking of the Alamo from the Mexicans..

Cousin Doc C was it you that gave me that info?

Anywho Disntant cone relative got a land grant for his actions.

May we always remeer the boys & men who held out to the last.

God bless Em

Posted: Wed Mar 7th, 2007 07:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
medicboymatt

Mana: 

Yes, JDC,

Three cheers for the great state of Texas,

and three cheers for the great state of Tennessee.

"well it's T for Texas, T for Tennessee."

I'm a Tennessee boy originally, and in moments of vainglory, I like to think that my home state's contributions to the defense of the Mission San Antonio de Valero were crucial. And in those moments, I also wonder if I would have the fortitude, the courage, the "right stuff" to make a stand for freedom if need be. I hope that "all Americans in the world" (as Travis called us) still have that right stuff to stand and defeat all foreign and domestic threats to our great Republic.

Posted: Wed Mar 7th, 2007 08:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
medicboymatt

Mana: 

For those of you who plan on visiting Texas and the Alamo, I would also suggest a trip to the Alamo Village in Brackettville. It is a more-or-less accurate replica of the 1836 Alamo compound and the village of San Antonio de Bexar. It was originally built in 1959 for John Wayne's "The Alamo", and is still in use today for various movie shoots. I think it gives you a better appreciation for the seige, compared to the small remnants of the original fort left in downtown San Antonio. And you might also get to see a movie being made!

Here's their website:

http://www.homestead.com/thealamovillage/AlamoVillage.html

Also, for those of you going to the San Jacinto Battlefield, check out the nearby U.S.S. Texas Memorial. Texas, a veteran of both World Wars, is the only remaining dreadnought-era battleship in the world.

Posted: Wed Mar 7th, 2007 08:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

There were most definately native born Texans who died defending the Alamo. Among those agreed upon were:Juan Abamillo of San Antonio

Juan Badillo of San Antonio

Carlos Espalier of San Antonio

Those Distinguished men you mentioned, their parents called that area of Mexico the Texas Republic? I understand your point though, we too often ignore the contributions of those Spanish Speaking people who were so instrumental in the war for Texas Independence.

Posted: Wed Mar 7th, 2007 09:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

The Texas Republic came into existence because the Mexican government violated the rights of its citizens under the Mexican Constitution of 1824.

Posted: Wed Mar 7th, 2007 10:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

In the nearest city to where I live right now, March 6th is honored by the Mexican-American population - almost all of whom are bi-lingual and very proud of their Mexican heritage.  It's both interesting, and lot of fun, to go into that part of the city and toast the Alamo there on March 6th.  Just as almost everyone claims to Irish on Saint Patrick's day, those of Mexican heritage all claim to be "Texan-Mexican Americans" on March 6th.  Some years ago, one of the more prominent and successful Mexican-American businessmen built a restaurant there that he worked hard to make an exact replica of The Alamo, according to scale.  Sadly, it closed last year - but it was a landmark for some time.

Last edited on Wed Mar 7th, 2007 10:59 pm by JoanieReb

Current time is 08:36 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4888 seconds (17% database + 83% PHP). 27 queries executed.