Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > What are earth is our System coming to

What are earth is our System coming to - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 07:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Younglobo,

Thanks!

I admire the fact that you believe the Bible and that killing is wrong. Too few people today beleive the Bible or hold it's commandments sacred. I'm also glad that you know that I don't want to contradict you or argue with you; rather I just took your theme of bilblical justification a step farther.

I agree, this country is lacking in teaching morals and values. We teach Sex Education in our school system (which, perhaps, is a good thing) but the schools do not teach good judgement. So now we have a 16 year old, hormones raging, that has been taught what to do, but has not been taught how to use judgement in doing the thing he/she was taught. This example can be used for teenage drinking, smoking, drug use, etc.

Not all the blame, however, lies with the schools system. Ultimately, it begins at home. I'm 42 years old. When I was a kid, we had 3 TV channels, so, we played outside. We didn't have video games, we used our imagination by reading books or making up games. Only one parent had to work, economic conditions today render that nearly impossible. My parents took the time to play with us, read to us and eat meals with us. We weren't too busy for each other.

I have a 6 year old son. As I raise him, I remember where I came from and, because of that, I am who I am today....I'm a good parent who values his wife and son. The most precious gift that we can give to one another (not only family, but to other people as well) is our time....Never tell someone that you do not have time for them; it de-values their importance. If we don't have time for each other, then we're lost as a human race.

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 12:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
ijontichy
Pathfinder

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote:

"I will recuse myself from further comments on this issue. I apologize if I have offended." Apparently you "chose" to ignore that. I've stated I will recuse myself from this conversation as keeping civil w/ those who... I think you understand. Please have the courtesy not to engage me on this subject again.
You can't have your cake and eat it, too. You commented on my posts, and then you immediately followed that by asking me to stop responding to your comments. Sorry, but you don't get that privilege.

Not as I have read it & yes, despite the disclaimer, I do see it as a purposeful provocation. Looks like a defense or excuse for the indifensible.
Again, they were not intended as an excuse (or as your newest and silliest claim, a provocation). They may have appeared that way to you, but I have now told you twice that your impression was wrong; if you continue to refuse to believe me, then that is your problem.

Moderation leads to "tolerance." I "chose" to ignore nothing.
Alright, this is like arguing with a child. You fixated on moderation (ignoring the other virtues I mentioned such as self-restraint and temperance) and then conflated it with tolerance. Now, in covering your tracks, you're claiming that moderation leads to tolerance. That is laughable and absurd.

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 12:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

OK, speaking of moderation (though in a different sense)....

It's obvious that emotions are running high on this issue. When I saw it start to denigrate to what I considered personal attacks I asked that we keep it above that level. If Johan felt that bowing out of the thread was the best way of doing that, then that is his right. If anyone finds that laughable, absurd, unfair or anything else, then blame me.

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 12:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
ijontichy
Pathfinder

Mana: 

Albert Sailhorst wrote:

I admire the fact that you believe the Bible and that killing is wrong. Too few people today beleive the Bible or hold it's commandments sacred.
I'd say just the opposite. The USA has the largest proportion of Bible believers in its population than any other Western country. Yet it has far more problems with drugs, teenage pregnancy, violence and other social problems. And the same holds true within the USA, on a state-by-state basis. See this report which describes a large study that was done on the subject.

In my opinion, the three most important factors which determine the prevalence of social ills are: 1) The health of the economy; 2) The quality of social services; 3) The nature of the prevailing or dominant culture within the country. The USA has a strong economy, but it has huge problems in the other two areas I listed. I tend to focus on culture when I rant and rail on the subject, but all three factors are important.

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 01:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
ijontichy
Pathfinder

Mana: 

javal1 wrote:

If Johan felt that bowing out of the thread was the best way of doing that, then that is his right.
I agree and never claimed the opposite. What isn't his right (privilege is perhaps a better term) is to stop me from replying to his comments. Only you (and other moderators) have that power.

If anyone finds that laughable, absurd, unfair or anything else, then blame me
I don't find it laughable, absurd or unfair. Do you want me to stop this exchange with Johan? Just say the word.

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 01:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I think Johan's decision to no longer post on the thread should be respected, so replying directly to him serves no purpose. Especially since I think he did so out of respect for me and my request.

You have just shown, 2 posts ago, that there's still plenty of valid issues that can be debated without being argued. I admit there's a thin line between the two, but your post on the causes of social problems above was exactly the kind of post I want to see.

I'm sure I could be more succinct if I wasn't trying to get over a rather severe little bout of food poisoning, so I ask indulgence if I'm not being clear. Shall now continue my worship of the porcelain god, and hope for peace here so I can get some sleep...:?                                                                                                                            

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 01:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Ok All,
Since I started the tread I will ask that in peace and harmony we all end this thread. The thread was directed towards the Jugdes of our Court System and the Punishments involved and I believe we may have wondered off of the subject matter of the intitial post. We all have our own views and we cant solve the problems of the world here. I think all that posted here have pointed out there views and we all have to respect the view of others here as well. So in good faith to all, "Lets Bury This One..."
Thank You All for posting your thoughts

Huma

Last edited on Thu Nov 1st, 2007 01:49 am by Johnny Huma

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 07:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
ijontichy
Pathfinder

Mana: 

Done, I'll shut up now.

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 02:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

There's a difference between a population that has the largest proportion of Bible believers in its population than any other Western country and actually putting into practice those beliefs.

As an example, I'll site the problems mentioned: drugs, teenage pregnancy, violence and other social problems. Included could also be: the lack of brotherly love in the form of "road rage", the lack of courteousy and respect displayed between neighbors, workplace gossip, etc. Sure, there are good things that happen: charitable causes, Americans pulling together to donate to worthy causes, etc. But I'm talking about day to day living, not donating to a cause to ease one's canscience or because "everyone else is doing it."

"The largest proportion of Bible believers...." ...yet abortion is hotly debated, same sex marriages are debated (I am NOT intending to start a discussion on that!) prayer in school, even if by personal choice, is not allowed, we tolerate teen sex, drug abuse, violence and other social problems. Frankly, we may have the largest Christian population, but I don't see that many people practicing their beliefs.

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 03:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
booklover

Mana: 

I want to say one more thing and then I'll stop posting on this topic as well. David, I do not believe in the "hate crime" designation because, yes, murder is murder and it is filled with all kinds of hate.

I do not believe the mother should get the death penalty because she was obviously a scared young woman who had issues that resulted (most likely) in a temporary insanity that caused her to act as she did.

That said, I think the same can hold true for anyone, even child molesters.

Best
Rob

Last edited on Thu Nov 1st, 2007 03:12 pm by booklover

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 07:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Albert Wrote

There's a difference between a population that has the largest proportion of Bible believers in its population than any other Western country and actually putting into practice those beliefs.

Amen to that brother , it is easy to say you are one thing then do another, our youth pastor at church has a saying "I can stand all day in a garage and it dosn't make me a car"  the point being lots of folks claim to be a christian and go to church and read the Bible but when it effects them personally they tend to drop thier "beliefs" then pick them up again on sunday when it is convient for them. 

Just to make my point clear I have a example . Today i went to a job interview and was asked if I would work on Sunday and I said no that is the day my family and I attend church, do i need this job yes but if I have to adjust my principles to fit into thier pos. it probably won't work out anyway so might as well cut it off now. Those are the same decisions that your people that took the servey have to answer to ijon but they better be careful.

Knowing the correct password--saying 'Master, Master,' for instance--isn't going to get you anywhere with me. What is required is serious obedience--doing what my Father wills. Matt 7:21 MSG version

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 07:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Amen, younlobo!!

I hope your job hunt goes well!!

May God Bless!!

Current time is 12:22 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > What are earth is our System coming to

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1956 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 29 queries executed.