Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

I'm back - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jan 13th, 2008 07:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I am sorry you couldn't find them Johan.  I looked though all my books and never saw a one that looked like them.

Susan

Posted: Sun Jan 13th, 2008 07:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Bama... at that range I prefer a rifle whether a short ranged .30-30 Winchester or a .223. More inherent accuracy in a carbine or rifle than a pistol. Different strokes I suppose; I prefer my black powder CW era rifles. But if it comes down to it I will take an AK, Galil or the classic 03A3 for ranged work. Good Lord willing and the crik don't rise I'll never need those.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Jan 13th, 2008 03:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
ole

Mana: 

Bama: Watched a program on Marine sharpshooters and what goes on behind the scenes. There is what can only be called a laboratory works on loading for each rifle. When a load is found for a particular rifle, that load is precisely duplicated down to hundredths of grams. So yes, it is critical in long guns at long distances.

ole

Posted: Mon Jan 14th, 2008 07:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
David White

Mana: 

I think the army is going to be bringing the .45 back, the all 9 mil push was due to NATO and despite a better accuracy, the 9 mil just isn't cutting it.  I'm hearing too many stories from the war of emptying clips into bad guys and they act like they haven't been hit even using Johann's tactics and filling them with holes.  My comment to the army briefer was yeah, with a .45 you'll probably aim at the center of mass and miss badly but it won't matter if their head is gone.

Posted: Mon Jan 14th, 2008 10:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

form. Accurate w/ stopping power, not a lot to complain about the weapon. I don't use a pistol anymore, haven't carried in quite a while.

IMO the Beretta was a bad choice to replace the M1911; though I don't like the Beretta to start w/, prefer the Browning HI Power & all of it's clones/offshoots. Nothing wrong w/ the .45 I just prefer the 9mm CZ I have.

I was taught two to the body one to the head whether w/ a pistol or M4 carbine. I rather suspect the same would hold true w/ a shotgun... if a bit messier. It's the way I was taught, what all of us were taught.

Posted: Tue Jan 15th, 2008 01:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

The Ohio Highway Patrol got rid of their Batrettas after repeated malfunctions during a fire fight. I was one of the officers who had that experience. My nephew who was  a marine armorer told me when the Patrol adopeted the Baretta that it would not  be viable for field use.  One reason for adopting the Baretta was officers with smaller hands.   

Posted: Tue Jan 15th, 2008 11:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

I think most police nowdays are carrying Glocks or Sigs now w/ a smattering of Smith & Wessons. I hated the Beretta w/ a passion when in the USAF. I have to admit a similar dislike for the Glock though I like the Sigs I've handled and I was pleasently suprised w/ the Israeli Jerico 941. I've owned and carried a H & K VP70, Makarov and CZ75. I prefer the CZ w/ the Makarov coming in a close second. But that's just my personal experiance. All the boys in the 82nd I knew carried M4's and I don't recall an officer carrying anything but a M1911 as their personal side arm.

My street sweeper is loaded w/ buckshot. If I was in a bad mood I'd see if I could scare up some of my fathers "Bolo" rounds (piano wire w/ a single buckshot soldered on each end) It's designed to kill dogs, won't richochett and if it hits... well it does a buzzsaw on the target. Back in the day my father used to make them up for various police departments for putting down "mad dogs."

Good Lord, what must Roger think? His welcome back thread has morphed into a discussion on firearms.

Posted: Wed Jan 16th, 2008 02:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
ole

Mana: 

The problem with a good handgun is it's propensity to pierce walls and endanger your neigbor. A scattergun with bb shot will do the trick and the repainting you'll have to do is a small price to pay. The neighbor will be grateful.

The knock-down stopping power of a .45, is very nice to talk about, but the wad of BBs in my Winchester will most sincerely take care of my needs. And I'll hold with the idea that the snick-snack will run an intruder out faster than an "I'm armed and will shoot!"

There are several scattered about the house, and if the door would burst open this moment, I'd reach into the bottom drawer of the filing cabinet to the right for my .38 snubby. Behind me, on the shelf with the tapes and dvds is a hideaway .45 ACP. It's a fierce little bugger and is incapable of hitting anything it is pointed at, but what comes out of the end is the same as what comes out of the 1911.

In the box in the closet is a .357 Smith and a .22 Smith. There might be another or two around somewhere. But they are toys. The Winchester is the tool of choice. Snap cap in the chamber. Snick snack. BBs.

Roger can take comfort in his ability to beat the crap out of a home invader. I'd prefer to mop up the blood, post mortem.

Oh. All right. And spackle and repaint. Geez.

ole

Posted: Mon May 12th, 2008 07:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
Dutchman Dick

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote: Looking for an original Type 2 P53 or Lorenz but my eye is out for a more modern arm as well. All depends upon what I can afford & get away w/.
Try International Military Antiques. They have original Type II P1853's, made either in Nepal under British supervision, or in a British arsenal in India, or (remotely) possibly unmarked British imports (though there's no British proofs). They are available in "as found, uncleaned, untouched" condition for $240.00. Depends on how much you want to mess around with it. Some are really crappy (dry rotted stocks, rusted mechanisms, bad bores, etc.), while others are in halfway decent condition under the layer of fossilized animal fat mixture they are coated with. I bought one, and after a lot of scrubbing with Scotchbrite pads and denatured alcohol I got a keeper!:cool: I had to replace all the wood screws and repair stripped out screw holes in the wood (no biggie), and there are the expected dings and dents from years of rough storage, but the wood is completely solid ( I used boiled linseed oil on it after the cleaning). There were only shallow pits in the barrel under the wood. The rear barrel band retaining spring was rusted through and needed replacement, as did the nipple and cleaning rod. I pulled the breechplug, and it came out with no trouble and the threads clean with no rust. The bore, while not pristine (there is some heavy pitting in the first 6 inches or so near the breech, but the rifling is still there, and it's not bad farther up the bore), is still useable. I just shot the gun this weekend, in fact, though I can't hit a thing with it (I think I got a bad batch of powder, as the seal wasn't on very tightly, and with a 60 grain charge the Minie balls kept hitting the ground about 4 feet in front of the 100 yard target, with the sight set at the 100 yard mark). I also think running the cast Minies I got from Dixie Gunworks through a sizer was a mistake, since they were so undersized that they wanted to drop right down the bore. So I am going to get some new powder and use my unsized Minies and see how it does. The markings, including the sight markings, are all in Nepalese script, but other than that it's a typical Type II P1853, and for a decent price, too!

Last edited on Mon May 12th, 2008 07:07 pm by Dutchman Dick

Posted: Tue May 13th, 2008 01:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
ole

Mana: 

So I am going to get some new powder and use my unsized Minies and see how it does.
Would very much appreciate a report on how that "fix" works. Sounds logical.

ole

Posted: Wed May 14th, 2008 02:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
Dutchman Dick

Mana: 

Took it out to the range again tonight. This time I got some of the FFg "Jim Shockey's Gold" American Pioneer Powder (at $29 a pound - OUCH!!!). Shot at a 50-yard target. I started with the rest of the Minies I had run through the sizer. Definitely undersized - some of them keyholed, and the first couple just dropped down the bore. Used them all up, then went to the unsized Minies. Between using the unsized Minies and the better powder, it made a BIG difference. The gun is NOT a tack driver by any means. In fact, at 50 yards it shot about 12 inches to the left, and strung the shots vertically from 6" to 12" high. But at least it was consistent, in that respect. I wonder if the shot stringing was due to the sight picture being distorted by all the heat waves coming off the barrel? You could see the air shimmering after a few shots. I'll have to see if it does any better with the muzzle re-crowned, and with some better Minie balls (once I have a mould, and can control the quality myself - the ones from Dixie Gunworks are OK for plinking, but are a bit rough...). But I had a real blast (literally!!!)

Posted: Wed May 14th, 2008 01:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
58th Post
ole

Mana: 

Thanks for the report. Is the powder-charge consistent?

ole

Posted: Fri May 16th, 2008 01:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
59th Post
Dutchman Dick

Mana: 

Powder charge was the standard 60 grains of FFg. Turns out, the reason the gun shoots to the left is because the set screw that holds the sight leaf spring in the sight base is slightly off center, so when the leaf is all the way down (100 yards), the off-center screw comes up through the slot in the leaf and forces it off to the left. If I relieve the sight leaf slot a little, that should fix, or at least reduce, the problem.

Posted: Fri May 16th, 2008 03:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
60th Post
ole

Mana: 

Once again, report back when you've tried that fix.

ole

Current time is 04:54 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4396 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 32 queries executed.