Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Best War Movie Ever - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 02:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
81st Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Anybody care for "Tora,Tora,Tora"?

Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 02:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
82nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Since my birthday is Dec. 7, think I've seen every Pearl Harbor movie ever made, both good - Tora, Tora, Tora and the bad - the recent Pearl Harbor.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 02:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
83rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

DD

Please contact me at my email address. Have a question about roundtables in our area.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Jan 24th, 2009 01:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
84th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Das Boot, The Winter War, The Blue Max, Lawrence of Arabia, The Enemy Below, Gettysburg, The Dirty Dozen, Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare, the Eagle Has landed, Battle of Britain, Battle of the Bulge, Patton....geez I can't possibly pick even a top 5...easily my favorite film genre along with classic Horror/sci fi movies.

Posted: Sat Jan 24th, 2009 03:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
85th Post
ole

Mana: 

With you on that Captain. Too many to just pick one. However, backed into a corner and being threatened, "Saving Private Ryan"  does rise to the top. Gritty.

Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 02:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
86th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

WW II: Victory at Sea: The Series

Patton

Der Untergang (Downfall)

Pearl Harbor  (Don't laugh. It is a fave of mine.)

Conspiracy

Civil War: Glory

Korean War:  MASH

Viet Nam: Platoon

Contemporary: Black Hawk Down

Sparta: 300

And of Course: Lawrence of Arabia

Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 02:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
87th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Good list Fan. 

Susan

Posted: Mon Jan 26th, 2009 12:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
88th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Hey, thanks, Susan.

I somehow neglected to mention one of my all-time Viet Nam  favorites, Good Morning, Viet Nam.

I also agree so much with the previous mention of Valkyrie, a movie I enjoyed so much I have seen it twice. Recently History Channel showed the actual Germans involved in the plot. Tom Cruise does bear an uncanny resemblance to the actual man he portrayed.

There was a lot of criticism of this movie because Germans didn't play the parts and that Cruise's German "accent" was badly done, but after the first few minutes I soon forgot about all that. One really can get so carried away by the intensity of the action that such details don't even matter.

Hubby did say he wished it wasn't Tom Cruise, but I found him very believable and the other actors as well. Plus, the actor who played Hitler was particularly scarey and menacing.  The man who played Himmler wasn't as frightening as he might have been, but all others were impressive in their parts. The action is fast and edge-of-the-seat suspenseful.

Posted: Mon Jan 26th, 2009 12:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
89th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

The other night at dinner before Round Table someone mentioned this movie and said it was good.  That Cruise didn't take over the movie as he does in some movies. 

They highly recommended it . 

Susan

Posted: Mon Jan 26th, 2009 12:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
90th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Has anyone seen "Defiance" yet? Commercials look interesting.

Posted: Mon Jan 26th, 2009 01:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
91st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I'm planning to see it early this week, maybe tomorrow. The previews have been very interesting. I'm a big fan of both Daniel Craig and Liev Schrieiber.

Posted: Mon Jan 26th, 2009 08:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
92nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Judgement at Nuremberg, though not technically a war flick, still has issues which everyone, hopefully not in my lifetime, must face when one's country is at war. Excellent performances by Spencer Tracey, Montgomery Cliff, Richard Widmark, Burt Lancaster, Marlene Dietrich, Judy Garland.

Doc C

Posted: Tue Jan 27th, 2009 02:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
93rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Saw Defiance today. It turned out to be very good. Of course, each to his own taste. Just because I enjoyed it doesn't mean anyone else here will.

Daniel Craig, better known as the current James Bond, played Tuvia Bielski, a simple farmer in Poland, modern day Belarus. Liev Schreiver plays Zus Bielski, his brother and rival. There were two much younger brothers. They areall  thrown violently into the war as Hitler's soldiers round up Jews in the area, killing hundreds of them and throwing most in a huge pit.

The Bielski's flee to the woods and discover many other Jews have escaped there too. The movie shows how the large group of men, women and children had to struggle to survive under harsh conditions in the rugged woods. Social mores break down. Conflicts become physical and violent.

Tuvi and Zus, by dint of their strong characters, take over leadership of the refugees ruling with iron fists to keep order. Soon, however, they also argue over how Tuvia is managing matters and beat each other up. Zus leaves in disgust taking many men with him. They join forces with a Soviet partisan group that runs raids against the ruthless German occupiers. Eventually they clash with the anti-Semetic Soviet partisans and rejoin the rest of the refugees in the woods.

The movie shows the extreme conditions plagueing the Jews in the woods as they faced disease, starvation, freezing weather, and constant danger of German attacks.

This story, said to be a true depiction of events, kept my interest throughout.  I never ceased to be impressed with the strength of character of the Bielski brothers. They faced impossible odds against their survival, yet they carried on undaunted. Their story is an inspiration.

Daniel Craig is so good in this role, one completely forgets he ever could be James Bond. He is dirty, unshaven, disheveled and hardly recognizable in the wilderness.  I don't know why he wasn't nominated for an Oscar for this performance. He is truly excellent in the role.

This movie is tough to sit through. It is not light hearted entertainment. But it is worthwhile. If you can't see it in a theater, definitely catch it on DVD.

Posted: Tue Jan 27th, 2009 02:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
94th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Thanks for that CF. Sounds like everything I heard about it was right. Truth is, I don't go to theaters. Last time I was in one it was to take my now college sophmore son to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so that tells you how long ago. But now I know that the DVD is on the list. Thanks again.

Posted: Tue Jan 27th, 2009 01:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
95th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

In all fairness, some movie critics have said the movie had "stock characters." OK, there were the avuncular rabbi, the virginal innocent pretty and virtuous young adolescent, the Jewish intellectual socilalist, the felonious tough guy who leads a mutiny, the rape victim who hides her pregnancy.

These are stock characters, but life is full of stock characters. How do you tell that story of desperate misery and survival in the forbidding forest without such characters? It is a long story that needs some "shorthand" by populating the characters with well-known themes of behavior, valor, failure, betrayal and redemption.

Besides, I am sure that all such people were indeed there in the woods with the Bielski brothers.

Posted: Fri Sep 4th, 2009 02:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
96th Post
tyrfan
Don't tread on me

Mana: 

When we were soldiers- is one of my fave's.The patriot. Does Rambo count? # 1,2 & 4 were awesome.

Course I just took my son to see "Inglorious Bastards" with Brad Pitt. Though not "historically accurate" :-) I really enjoyed it.

I do confess that I have seen Tropic Thunder.
Throughly disgusted at first,It grows on you .

Posted: Wed Oct 28th, 2009 12:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
97th Post
godzila

Mana: 

Saving Private Ryan (1998)This one is great war movie just watch it :)

Posted: Wed Oct 28th, 2009 09:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
98th Post
OVVI

Mana: 

Can I add the "Lost Battalion" to the list? Very few Great War films, but this one is excellent.

Posted: Fri Oct 30th, 2009 02:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
99th Post
Tom Wiehle

Mana: 

In my book, Saving Private Ryan !
Sad that Spielburg did not get Oscar.

Posted: Sat Jun 16th, 2012 06:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
100th Post
Fredjones01

Mana: 

My favorite war movies are :-
1. Apocalypse Now
2. All Quiet on the Western Front
3. Saving Private Ryan
4. Schindler's List
5. Platoon

Current time is 09:52 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2210 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 25 queries executed.