Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

is this weird or what? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 06:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846
John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights
Both wives lost their children while living in the White House

Both Presidents were shot on Friday
Both Presidents were shot in the head

Both were assinated by Southerners
Both were succeeded by Southerners named Johnson

Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy
Kennedy's secretary was named Lincoln

Andrew Johnson who succeeded Lincoln was born in 1808
Lyndon B. Johnson who succeeded Kennedy was born in 1908

John Wilkes Booth who assassinated Lincoln was born in 1839
Lee Harvey Oswald who assinated Kennedy was born in 1939

Both assassins were known by their three names
Both names were composed of 15 letters

Lincoln was shot in a theatre named Ford
Kennedy was shot in a car called Lincoln made by Ford

Lincoln was shot in a theatre and his assassin ran to a warehouse
Kennedy was shot from a warehouse and his assassin ran to a theatre

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials

A week before Lincoln was assassinated he was in Monroe, Maryland
A week before Kennedy was assassinated he was with Maryland Monroe

thats stange huh? just thought yall might enjoy that bit of info

also it was 98 years between Lincoln and Kennedys deaths.

Posted: Sat Mar 15th, 2008 07:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

That was fun!

Especially liked the "Maryland Monroe".

Also, it is a bit mind-boggling....

Posted: Mon Mar 17th, 2008 03:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
booklover

Mana: 

Lincoln had no secretary named Kennedy. His secretaries were John Hay, John Nicolay and Charles Philbrick.

Booth was not killed in a warehouse. He was killed in a tobacco barn, which is nothing like a warehouse.

Kennedy couldn't have been with Marilyn Monroe a week before his death because Marilyn Monroe died on August 5, 1962.

At times, John Wilkes Booth was known as J. Wilkes, Wilkes Booth and (as most people of the day knew him) as John Booth. Calling him John Wilkes Booth was done after his death.

Sorry Dixie, but that list is what we call "bad history".

Best
Rob

Posted: Mon Mar 17th, 2008 06:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

it was just a funny email i got.

it does not say that Booth was killed in a warehouse. it says Booth shot Lincoln in a theater and then rant to a warehouse to hide.

whether its wrong or not it was funny and strange.

Posted: Mon Mar 17th, 2008 07:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

If it is not correct it should die a quiet death not be repeated over and over again which it has been in some form or other for almost 40 years now.  People don't know it is not true and assume the statements are correct . 

Strange I don't find anything funny about the death of Lincoln or the death of Kennedy which I remember quite well.  I was a freshman in college and know exactly where I was standing and even what I was wearing the moment the guys came in to the student union and told me the President has been shot. 

Susan

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Mar 17th, 2008 08:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Bama I remember the others too and have been wondering the same thing you mentioned. 

When Martin was killed I had to go to student teaching in East L.A.  I was living in South Central L.a. at College at the time.  I drove though the center of LA.  Everyone had their lights on in memory of Martin.

As to Bobby I had seen him and his motorcade getting on to the freeway in Downtown L.a. with Bobby sliding down into the seat in back as they got on .  This was the day before he was killed .  I use to sleep with the radio on .  In the middle of the night I woke up to hear Kennedy has been shot.  I thought I was dreaming .  Turned out as I became more awake it was no dream, it was another nightmare. 

I had been at the Ambassador Hotel just the year before in the same ball room where Kennedy held his celebration and left to go into the kitchen where he was shot.

I don't remember as much detail when Wallace was shot , just individual flashes of memory of the shooting .  Not when or what I was doing .

Susan

Posted: Tue Mar 18th, 2008 03:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
booklover

Mana: 

OK Dixie, but Booth didn't run to a warehouse either.

The only memories I have are of Wallace's shooting (just not old enough to remember RFK or MLKs). I heard a story told by James Wooten of ABC News about Wallace's shooting. Wooten had checked with the press people and was told that Wallace hadn't planned any stops, so he decided to go ahead to wherever it was that Wallace would speak. Wallace then decided to stop at the shopping mall in Laurel, Md., where Arthur Bremer shot him. Wooten, who apparently almost got fired because he wasn't there, decided never to listen to press people again.

Best
Rob

Posted: Tue Mar 18th, 2008 06:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

being a little younger but yet old i remember were I was when the space shuttle Challanger exploded, when Regan was shot, Elvis died, and of Course 911. probably the same for every generation. Remember my grandma telling me about VE day and VJ day and the great depression era, like it was yesterday.

Dixie .. have seen that email many times only serious history buffs or folks with excellent memories, remember all the facts and sadly alot of folks put stock in what they see on tv and read in emails. I think that is what the other folks here on the board are worried about and get a little passionate about that because they feel connected to it. Kind of like we feel when we as civil war buffs hear generalizations about the war and the folks in it. Looked at my daughter like she had 3 heads when she came home from 5 grade social studies and told me my hero was a racist bigit and the civil war was fought entirely over slavery, (which is what teacher had told her).

Last edited on Tue Mar 18th, 2008 06:22 pm by younglobo

Posted: Tue Mar 18th, 2008 06:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

im sorry if i offended yall. i feel the same way about a lot of that same stuff but it thought it was funny because somebody made this seem like Lincoln and Kennedy had the same stuff but now i know to watch what i post cause it rubs yall the wrong way.

Forrest was not a racist bigit. anybody with any sense knows that. i admire Forrest alot and he is one of the greats.

Last edited on Tue Mar 18th, 2008 06:28 pm by Dixie Girl

Posted: Tue Mar 18th, 2008 06:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I didn't see anyone saying you had offended them.  I saw people saying that it was a poor piece of trivial false history .

Posted: Tue Mar 18th, 2008 07:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
booklover

Mana: 

Dixie,

I mean no disrespect to you, because you are a bright young woman. And I also realize that you are only 14, so you are still in the process of developing your intellectual ability, but I feel I have to say this. If you approach your study of history when you enter college the same way you do now, I doubt you will make it. When you argue a point, or bring up a topic that means something to you, no one here will argue that it isn't valid. Rather, we will discuss it in the context it deserves. I'm not offended by what you wrote (nor did I ever mean to give that suggestion) but to just blindly post something without studying it or looking at it seriously only serves to promote misunderstanding and misinformation.

Your point that Nathan Bedford Forrest wasn't a bigot or racist deserves serious study. However, just because you say it doesn't make it so (nor does my saying it is wrong make me right). We can discuss the pros and cons of each side and you can present evidence for your point and I will present evidence for my point. In the end, I doubt we would change each other's minds, but if done in the spirit of scholarly endeavor, hopefully the discussion will advance our understanding of the subject.

Dixie, I may seem like I'm preaching to you, but I've studied history seriously for 36 years now (yes, I started when I was 8), and there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. If you sincerely want to study history for the rest of your life, I encourage you to do so. But don't get upset when we here who have done so for far much longer takes you to task when you do or say something that needs corrected. It's like when a comment was made about proofing your posts...it may seem as nit-picking, but people will take you seriously (or will not) based on how you present yourself. I wrote for a living for 14 years, and while my grammarian skills always need help, I never published anything (or post anything now) that I didn't read at least twice. It's just habit, but one that everyone needs to acknowledge as important. Not being able to type doesn't mean you're unintelligent (I've known excellent writers who used the hunt and peck method exclusively), but not proofing what you write makes me take what you say less seriously. Maybe that's my own hang-up, but I doubt I'm the only one who believes that.

I wish you the best of luck in your future, and I hope you will accept this in the spirit in which it is intended. I want you to succeed, because I feel that if someone your age wants to study history that must be encouraged. But it must be encouraged in the right way.

Best
Rob

Posted: Tue Mar 18th, 2008 07:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Good post Booklover . Exactly what I have been trying to say .  I have been studying history since I was about five or six also,  which means for over a half century.  I have always been interested in urban legends and disproving or proving them.  The internet has caused many of the unproven ones to reappear over and over and over again in our mailboxes.   Some are historical statements of misinformation. 

I enjoy the give and take of the discussions on here .  Sometimes we do change each others mind when new information is presented and proof is given . 

Susan

Posted: Tue Mar 18th, 2008 11:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Dixie.. I think your original post was not taken for its intent if I get it right (just as a light hearted thought this was cool and thought i would share kind of thing) After all it was posted in the lounge area which is what it is for.

Words in print/text dont come off as easy as spoken words one must always keep that in mind when sending posts texts or whatever.

It is often said here on this board "I wonder why there are not more posts" Maybe some are afriad too, for fear of the responses.

Posted: Tue Mar 18th, 2008 11:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I'm glad you have said this, Younglobo.

I've been wanting to say something, myself.

I think that we are very fortunate to have bright young members who share of themselves and their lives with us, and that sometimes the board elders tend to be a little hard on the youngers. 

The post Dixie shared was fun and, in my book, interesting.  I'd never seen it before.  On the board, it got us thinking and talking and correcting the history.  So, this has served to strike a blow against the inaccurate history that is out there. 

Also, I wonder how many young people have read this comparison of two assasinated presidents, and found it interesting and got to thinking about history.  So, it does serve a purpose.  And, by Dixie sharing it with us, it has given us a chance to discuss and correct it, and to discuss the importance of accuracy in history.

I think, that as elders, we should be appreciating and enjoying the input of our younger members.  And, I especially enjoy Dixie's posts because they often remind me of what being 14 was like.

I myself believe that it is better to help a young person find his or her place than to put him/her in it.

I have great admiration for the way Dixie has dealt - on more than one occasion -with what would make me feel put down and fearful of posting again if it was directed at me.

Sorry to be so out-spoken, but it has bothered me for awhile,  that I've felt  that a younger member was treated a mite rudely, and  discouraged unnessarily.  And, I am not pointing fingers or naming names.  I'm guessing it is not intentional, but  really an attempt to teach.  Just, it doesn't translate well in the written word sometimes....

Joanie

Last edited on Tue Mar 18th, 2008 11:47 pm by JoanieReb

Posted: Wed Mar 19th, 2008 12:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

OK, let's stop before it gets out of hand.

There was nothing wrong with Dixie posting this. There was also nothing wrong with folks trying to correct the historical accuracy (or lack of it).

Tone is difficult to moderate. I saw some posts in this thread I may have phrased differently, and I've seen some that went out of their way to correct but encourage.

Having said that, I don't think one can post something on a history related board such as "Forrest was not a racist bigit. anybody with any sense knows that" and not excpect to be challenged.

Dixie is 14, and I'm encouraged to see anyone of that age participate in a board such as this. But when statement of facts such as the above are made, they're going to be challenged, and rightly so.

Tone and civility are important. I advertise this board as "the friendliest Civil War discussion board" anywhere. Everyone has an obligation to keep it that way.

Posted: Wed Mar 19th, 2008 12:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

Hear hear...well said...)(90

Posted: Wed Mar 19th, 2008 02:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"I advertise this board as "the friendliest Civil War discussion board" anywhere. Everyone has an obligation to keep it that way."

Thanks, Joe.  You do an awesome job of it.

And, as someone whom has been a regular beneficiary of everyone's kindness and friendliness on this board from day one, I wish to say "Thanks, All".  Sincerely.  This board rocks.  As do all it's members.

Posted: Wed Mar 19th, 2008 02:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Back to the subject of The Email:  Young Miss told me today that her class actually studied that same email in American Thought and Language, and sorted out what was accurate and what was not!  It was used a lesson on critical thinking.

How cutting edge are we here?  Cool!

Posted: Wed Mar 19th, 2008 02:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

were extremely cutting edge:dude::cool:

Last edited on Wed Mar 19th, 2008 02:41 am by Dixie Girl

Current time is 12:06 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2117 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 26 queries executed.