Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hollywood History - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 01:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

There is a scene in "Glory" that made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it - definitely not the desired effect.  Matthew Broderick walks into a hospital. Behind a privacy scene, the shadow of a man flails (dramatically) as a surgeon (dramatically) saws away at his leg. The man cries out in dramatic agony, something to the effect of, "Please stop cutting, Don't cut anymore!"

Ahem - a competent surgeon could complete the amputation of a leg in 11 seconds (I have the source somewhere). Also, the Yankees had chloroform, especially in the type of hospital represented in this scene. It's so rediculously overdone and inaccurate I literally just burst out laughing.

Speaking of this, on his G-burg property, a friend of mine found a "bullet", I think a minie-ball, crushed and distorted by teeth marks - someone had "bitten the bullet", perhaps during an amputation. I did a CW presentation for a high school with him, and it was one of his "pass-around" exhibits.

Last edited on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 02:31 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 01:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Miss Joanie. Soldiers would often chew on bullets for much the same reason we chew on gum: to stimulate saliva and keep the mouth wet. Pebbles break teeth, a minie ball doesn't.

ole

Posted: Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 01:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Interesting, Ole! Thank You!

Hey - weren't minie balls made of lead? Seriously, I don't know! I wonder if there was much lead poisoning during the CW? From wounds, chewing, and what-have-you?

Hmmmm - am I starting a highjack? Well, it's innocent enough for now....

Posted: Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 03:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
ole

Mana: 

I don't know! I wonder if there was much lead poisoning during the CW? From wounds, chewing, and what-have-you?

We'll likely never know how many of those dispepsia deaths were from chewing lead.

ole

Posted: Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 04:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Funny I am reading and posting to a thread of Hollywood history and I go to my favorite second handbookstore in town and there is a history of Hollywood and the Civil War for seven dollars hardback.  yipeee .  Interesting list of movies.  Has the complete cast in it and pictures.  Ends with Gettysburg though . 

Susan

Posted: Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 05:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"We'll likely never know how many of those dispepsia deaths were from chewing lead."

Is Y'All making fun of me, Ole? :shock:

Actually, I just looked up "lead poisoning" in The Merck Manual.  It is a coffee table book around here, helps us figure out if someone is breathing or not. ;)

Interestingly, it lists "retaining shot" as a common cause of lead poisoning.  :P

Also, it lists "being shot" as a common cause of many more serious conditions. :?

Under "symptoms and signs" are some things that could fall into the catagory of "dyspepsia".  However, none are listed as "dyspepsia".

Frankly, I would like to know the signs and symptoms of when an Ole is funnin' a Southern Girl.  Those are very obtuse and hard to diagnose. ;):):D:cool::cool::cool:

Love Ya,

Joanie

Posted: Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 06:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
ole

Mana: 

Miss Joanie, one of these days and I'm gonna put a .44 caliber ball between your eyes tnd then we'll be shut of this discussion. Meanwhile, where was this going?

Lemme see? Southerners eating dirt? I am not aware of any situation within which Confederate forces ate dirt. If there were other southerners who did, I'm unaware of that as well. Let me go on record as never having said that southerners ate dirt.

Now. As to having eaten lead, I must equivocate. There were a goodly many that absorbed unwanted lead. Mostly, unwillingly. But, being obliged to absorb unwanted lead, ............ lost the train of thought. Nevermind.

Posted: Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 06:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"Miss Joanie, one of these days and I'm gonna put a .44 caliber ball between your eyes tnd then we'll be shut of this discussion."

I get it!  It will be a lead ball, right, and I have to balance it on my nose between my eyes, and when you give the command, I toss it in the air and catch it in my mouth and swallow it, like I've taught my best dog to do with dog bisquits!  Then, we see if I get lead poisoning or not!  I like it, both whimsical and scientific!

Awww, Ole you KNOW I love you....I was just funnin' you because I thought that you was funnin' me!

And, for the record, I know that you have never been unkind to southerners, especially me!  Very much the opposite, in fact.  I only meant to make a joke with the dirt thing - everyone knows that you are the last person on earth who'd make such a remark.  Bad Joanie, no lead cookie!

now, where was this going? :D

Last edited on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 07:06 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 11:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

"where was this going?"

I have no idea, but I'm deeply fascinated. Slightly disturbed, but fascinated nonetheless.

As for Southerners eating dirt - who knows what muck lay on the average cooking pan.

Films? I really enjoyed 'The Raid' as a tense piece of drama. Couldn't bring myself to care that the smuggled uniforms were too clean.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 11:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"who knows what muck lay on the average cooking pan"

Hmmmm, extra gritty grits....

I fear I have started something "unsavory" here with what I meant to be just a joke.  So, I shall try to put it to bed now and hope there are no hard feelings.

For those of you from the UK - once upon a time, as I understand it, there was a negative stereotype concerning Southern diets.  I believe it involved the idea that many Southerners were so poor or simply had such unbalanced diets that they irresistably craved eating dirt to get the minerals they lacked.

As long as I can remember, it's been a harmless source of halarity where I come from.  We just do silly things like pick up a handful of dirt and offer it to someone, saying "Hungry?"  Or, the old one about, "Well, we plowed the field today.  The dirt should be ready to harvest tomorrow..." I've never met anyone who takes it seriously or is offended by it.  However, judging from what Bama has said, there really might be some truth and sensitive feelings about it that I am unaware of!  I thought it was an anachronism, but maybe not.

Well, I have suceeded in high-jacking another thread!  Out of respect for the author and quality of the original subject, I'd like to end it here. 

Sometimes we spin off from highjacks, but I'm guessing the particular subject of "eating dirt" is not one anyone really cares to see as a thread....

Thanks,

Joanie

Posted: Mon Mar 24th, 2008 12:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

As far as bloopers and bad beards and all that go into these films I guess we still have to be glad that there is someone out there who is willing to take the chance to make the movies so we can all enjoy watching them. Actually Jeb Stuart in Gettysburg had to be the worst makeup of a character I ever saw in a Civil War Film. Hood in Gettysburg I thought was a great job and I belive it was his real beard which makes a big difference. Between Martin Sheen and Robert Duvall I have to give it to Sheen. Although not quite the Robert E Lee we would like to see at least he put some feeling in the character. Of both the films Gettysburg and GAG I think Stephan Lang has to be on top of the his game. Both Pickett and Jackson were believeable characters although I could of used a little less praying in GAG but that was not his fault. One blooper that comes to mind is in I believe North and South when there is a scene of Corpral sitting with a woman who is his fiance and they are talking and all the sudden he is promoted to SGT. and next sceene demoted to Corpral again.
Maybe someday The Last Full Measure will come out as it really must to complete the series but who will step up to do it..?
Huma

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Mar 24th, 2008 02:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

This site may help. I, myself, have heard of the practice of eating clay but have no practicle knowledge of it. On the other hand have had patients who have fried up the placenta for a good meal.

http://www.newgeorgiaencyclopedia.net/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-2669

Doc C

Posted: Mon Mar 24th, 2008 06:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Susan Ive never seen Davey Crocket but i have seen Daniel Boone. is it in any way like Daniel Boone?

Posted: Mon Mar 24th, 2008 06:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Daniel Boone was born in 1734.  He was best known for exploration and settlement of Kentucky, blazing the Wilderness Trail and then though the Cumberland Gap  He was a militia officer during the Revolutionary War.  He was involved in many incounters with the Indians of the area.  One of his sons was killed and decapitated by the Shawnee , he and his daughter were both captured at times by the same Shawnee.   He served in different positions in goverment at various times.  After a while Daniel moved on to Missouri where he lived for the rest of his life.  He lived wll into his 80's. 

David Crockett was born in either Tennessee or North Carolina , 1786 He joined the militia in 1813 to fight in the Cheek War .  Then elected to the House of Representatives where he served two terms.  he lost a third term and told the people of his district they could go to hell he would go to Texas.  He did and of course died at the Alamo.

Daniel Boone was known to have worn a beaver felt hat .  Legend has it that David Crockett may have worn a coonskin cap.

The two series in the 50's and 60's on Crockett and Boone were played both by Fess Parker.  He played Daniel Boone not as Daniel Boone but just David Crockett with the name Daniel Boone.. In the popular theme song for the series, Boone was described as a "big man" in a "coonskin cap", and the "rippin'est, roarin'est, fightin'est man the frontier ever knew.This did not describe the real Daniel Boone, who was not a big man and did not wear a coonskin cap. Boone was portrayed this way because Fess Parker, the tall actor who played Boone, was essentially reprising his role as Davy Crockett from an earlier TV series.

Posted: Mon Mar 24th, 2008 10:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Johnny Huma,

Good post.  Funny, just last Saturday, it crossed my mind that you hadn't been on the board for awhile.  And, the next day, you appeared.  Perhaps I have ESP!  I know I have ESPN....

"Maybe someday The Last Full Measure will come out as it really must to complete the series but who will step up to do it..?"

Whomever, they will face a big challenge, as the whole Ron Maxwell melodrama created so much negative publicity that there will be an unnerving amount of scrutiny, should TLFM ever be undertaken.

Posted: Mon Mar 24th, 2008 10:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Susan - thank's for sorting that out.  Re-runs of the old TV series have created a great deal of Davy Crockett/Daniel Boone confusion, I fear.  I myself suffer from it.

Last edited on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 11:01 pm by JoanieReb

Posted: Tue Mar 25th, 2008 01:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

yes thanks for clearin that up for me. i suffer from the mix up also, is the Davey Crockett series as good as the Daniel Boone series? i wanna know before i rent it on Netflix.

Posted: Tue Mar 25th, 2008 02:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Fess Parker starred in a 1956 Disney movie in which he acted exactly like he did in Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett. No coon skin cap this thime, though. The movie is a true Civil War story called The Great Locomotive Chase. 

It is loosely based on actual events in 1862 when James Andrews (Parker) and 22 other "spies" attempted to purloin a Confederate locomotive and take it back to Chattanooga. The one they did steal was called The General.  The engineer they stole it from is William Fuller who began an incredible chase at first on foot, then by other inventive means to recover the locomotive.

A well researched book  was released last year that studies this event in far greater detail. It is  called Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor by Russell S. Bonds.

I read that fascinating book, so I rented the DVD of Fess Parker's movie from Netflix and could hardly bare to watch it because of Parker's really bad acting and the way the story was "Disneyfied" for family viewing. It is as if Disney made a family version of the Battle of Antietam. Just one example, in the movie nobody was captured, held in dungeon-like conditions, hung and then rehung because they didn't die the first time.

This is such an amazing and improbable misadventure in the Civil War, it really deserves a modern day Film  treatment much as was done with "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford." It would have to be very fast paced, however, because the actual story was fast paced and high tension. 

And I would beg those who choose to film the story this time, please do NOT hire an actor as bad as Fess Parker and please do not "familyfy" the movie. Make it what it was... a very dangerous and failed Union expedition into Georgia in 1862. The ending is not a happy one.

Current time is 11:49 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2128 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 27 queries executed.