Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Greatest week in gold - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 11:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

US Open Week. My favorite week in golf. You can have the Masssters, British Open, PGA (although its getting better). I can honestly say that if I could only watch 1 week of golf it would be this week. Love to see the pros sweat.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 11:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Watched it yesterday, but missed most of it today. Not happy with Tiger's performance, especially his drives. Since his putting looked spot-on, I've gotta think maybe he's not 100% from the knee yet. Looking forward to Sat. and Sunday as well.

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 12:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Tigers at even. On the prowl. Don't care who wins but don't like to see anyone back into the championship.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 12:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Doc -

Haven't seen the final scores from today yet. Last time I checked, I think the leader was only 3 under. Watch out for that one amateur (forget his name at the moment). Last I looked he was 1 under - only two behing the leader. Anyway, the closeness should make it a suspensfull weekend.

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 12:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

It's my no Honey Do/Fathers Day Weekend. Been to several Opens/Majors but have to admit, TV is the best with a cold soda pop with foam on the top.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 01:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

As Johnny Miller likes to say, THIS IS GOOD STUFF.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 01:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ole

Mana: 

What's your secret, DocC? Sunday I will spend on my back figuring if I can replace the gas line on the rider. Might have to have the dealer pick it up and fix it. The problem is that the material used in making the gas line is sensitive to ethanol. (Which is probably why the owner's manual specifies unleaded gasoline without ethanol.) Guess it's my bad for not driving west far enough to find a pump of straight gasoline. Meanwhile, the grass is growing and my fall-back position is the walk-behind. There ain't enough beer in the universe to get me to cover my lawn with a walk-behind. On the other hand, it could be good exercise.

ole

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 06:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i fall asleep if i try to watch golf. i just dont consider that much of a sport. i tried it once and found out that i have a really short temper when it comes to certain things. i couldnt hit the stupid ball and so i ended up banging the golf club on the ground several times (i bent it pretty bad to) and then giving it a sling across the yard and walking away. i found out from this experience that contact sports are better for me. im just to aggressive for something like that.

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 12:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Golf utilizes hand-eye coordination, perception, strength, finesse, integrity, endurance, mental discipline and intelligence. The very essence of sports.

It's amazing how hard to it is to hit a ball that is lying perfectly still on the ground and get it to where you want it to go. If you walk the course you're playing, it's usually five miles of walking (Several years ago I wore a pedometer for a while, just out of curiosity. The worse you play, the more miles you put on.)

At age 57, contact sports for me are strictly a television endeavor. At age 57, I can fall asleep at any time watching any sport. ;)

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 12:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Here's something else:

Tiger Woods has earned a staggering $81,004,376 since turning professional in 1996. In early 1999, he took on Stevie Williams as his caddy. The generally accepted rule of thumb is that a caddy gets 10 percent of his golfer's winnings (although the arrangement Woods has with Williams is unknown). Given that Williams has been around for about $77 million of Tiger's winnings, Williams himself theoretically has earned $7.7 million (given the 10 percent rule) walking the same fairways as Woods. That would put Williams 110th on the PGA Tour career money list without ever having taken a stroke.

I wonder how that makes Larry Mize feel? Mize would be after Williams on this theoretical money list.

And how can I get that caddy gig anyway? Is Williams' job the best in the world?

Posted: Sun Jun 15th, 2008 12:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

I was a sponser for the Hogen/Nike/Nationwide Tour stop in Shreveport for 10 years. One year my 15 yo son, now 29, caddied for one of the players. It was a b---h for him, 2 practice rounds a day, then 4 rounds, then walked off the course and didn't even pay him (pga has rules which garantee payment of caddies, but you don't do that to a sponsors kid). Wouldn't ever want to candie for a pro.

Doc C

Posted: Sun Jun 15th, 2008 12:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Doc - Hope you weren't so busy typing that post that you missed the sensational Eagle putt Tiger just made. Wow, what a shot!

Posted: Sun Jun 15th, 2008 01:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Just saw it, that's why Miller made the Post Eagle F--k Up comment,

Doc C

Posted: Sun Jun 15th, 2008 01:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Golf in prine time, can't get any better than this.

Doc C

Last edited on Sun Jun 15th, 2008 01:03 am by Doc C

Posted: Sun Jun 15th, 2008 01:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
ole

Mana: 

Golf utilizes hand-eye coordination, perception, strength, finesse, integrity, endurance, mental discipline and intelligence. The very essence of sports.
Mental discipline? Mental deficiency! Who else would waste a perfectly good walk among beautiful surroundings by chasing a little white ball? Reminds me of kick the can.

I'd have liked to have seen that eagle putt as well, but life is far to short to wait for such a moment. At least, in a REAL sporting event, people are running around with some sort of plan or tactical move and, within an hour or so, you're going to see something memorable.

ole )(_

(If, at first, you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.)

Last edited on Sun Jun 15th, 2008 01:19 am by ole

Posted: Sun Jun 15th, 2008 01:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Quit being a sponser because I felt the PGA was taking too much of the money for themselves and not giving enough to the charities.

Doc C

Posted: Sun Jun 15th, 2008 01:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Tiger in the rough and limbing. Incredible Open.

Doc C

Posted: Sun Jun 15th, 2008 01:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Westwood, great chip at 18. Feel like a commentator.

Doc C

Posted: Sun Jun 15th, 2008 01:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

And Mediate's falling apart. As for Tiger, I think if this weren't a major, and this major in particular, he'd withdraw. Obviosly not quite ready to come back. LOL - maybe if we're going to do play by play the chat box would be easier...;)

Posted: Sun Jun 15th, 2008 01:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

IMHO, theres the Open, World Series, BCS Championship game, Super Bowl.

Doc C

Current time is 02:09 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2611 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 25 queries executed.