Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Mount Rushmore - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jul 12th, 2008 05:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
TimK

Mana: 

I live about five hours away from Mount Rushmore - have been there a few times, and once past all the tourist stuff, it is a pretty neat place to visit. Besides the monument itself, I've camped at Custer SP and enjoy hiking around the Black Hills. With the exposure of the recent Independence Day celebrations and fireworks exploding over the monument, I pondered a question I've asked myself a few times.

I understand Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln up there, but have always been slightly puzzled as to Teddy Roosevelt. I don't see anything wrong with him up there - he did negotiate the construction of the Panama Canal - but I have a hard time connecting him with the other three. I wonder if Gutzon Borglum (the sculpter) were to do it today, he would pick the same four presidents. Maybe he would choose to put Eisenhower up there - he certainly qualifies as a World War II general and began the Interstate Highway system. I'm not sure. Sometimes I wonder if I could do an anti Rushmore, who would be the four presidents I like the least? This has been easier for me to ponder the last eight years.

Anyway - I did post this under Idle Chit-Chat, and this should quailify as probably the idlest of chit-chats.

Posted: Sun Jul 13th, 2008 12:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Just curious. Was it Borglum who decided which presidents were to be sculpted into the mountain? Or did he have financial backers who decided what faces would adorn the rocks?

Last edited on Sun Jul 13th, 2008 12:33 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Sun Jul 13th, 2008 12:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Check this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Rushmore

Read the section titled 'History, about halfway through. Apparently, it was Borglum's idea.

He also sculted the North Carolina Monument at Gettysburg, which in my mind is one of the most stirring on the battlefield:

http://www.brotherswar.com/Gettysburg-Day-3Pic-5.htm

Posted: Sun Jul 13th, 2008 01:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Thanks for the background on who decided which presidents would grace Mount Rushmore. The statue at Gettysburg is gorgeous also. I have seen that when visiting Gettysburg but didn't know who sculpted it or that the sculptor was the very same who did Mount Rushmore.

Posted: Sun Jul 13th, 2008 01:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

He also orginally was set to do Stone Mountain but got into a disagreement but got into diagreements with the comittee which included Klan.  His orginal design was wiped off the face of the mountain and a new design by another was done .

Susan

Last edited on Sun Jul 13th, 2008 02:02 am by susansweet

Posted: Sun Jul 13th, 2008 05:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Teddy Roosevelt brough the US onto the world stage; his modernation of the Navy and military in general brought us out of the 19th century and into the 20th. Arguably, it was Teddy Roosevelt who allowed us to come into WW1 w/ any kind of ability to not only contribute but to win it. He's a fascinating man, many contradictions, but a wonderful man to study.

Posted: Sun Jul 13th, 2008 05:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

According to the Mt Rushmore website they were chosen to represent,
Washington:- The stuggle for independence

Jefferson:- for Ideas on Government by the people

Lincoln;- for ideas on equality and the permanent union of the States

Roosevelt:- to represent the 20th century roll of the US in World Affairs

Posted: Sun Jul 13th, 2008 01:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I'm not sure. Sometimes I wonder if I could do an anti Rushmore, who would be the four presidents I like the least?

Mine would look something like this:

Posted: Sun Jul 13th, 2008 05:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
TimK

Mana: 

That's really funny, Joe. Cracked me up. Kinda scary, actually.

Johan and FedReb - I know and understand what you're saying. Like I mentioned, I don't see a problem with it - I just wonder about the thinking. Keep in mind, there is probably a majority of the people on this discussion board that look forward to a rainy Sunday afternoon so we can unplug the phone, put on a pot of coffee and sit down with a good biography of Teddy Roosevelt. We're wired (or is it weird) that way. But what about the average guy, that he is walking up to the monument, and tells his kid - "That guy was our first president, that guy wrote the Declaration of Independence, that guy freed the slaves, and that guy...well that guy...he uh...spoke softly and carried a big stick. Certainly your definitions of TR qualify him - but are there other presidents more qualified?

Posted: Sun Jul 13th, 2008 05:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ole

Mana: 

but are there other presidents more qualified?

Depends on who you ask. Eisenhower or Truman or even FDR might have been considered more important than TR. (Note the conspicuous absence of JFK?) Sounds like Fedreb was the only one to go to the source -- TR dragged us kicking and screaming into the 20th Century.

By the way, (don't make me go look up the author, please) it was a must-read about 10 years ago and is titled, simply: TR. I don't generally get into biographies, but this one was -- truly -- a must-read. A lot more to that barrel-chested, myopic man that comes out in history books.

ole

Posted: Sun Jul 13th, 2008 11:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

ole wrote: but are there other presidents more qualified?

By the way, (don't make me go look up the author, please) it was a must-read about 10 years ago and is titled, simply: TR. I don't generally get into biographies, but this one was -- truly -- a must-read. A lot more to that barrel-chested, myopic man that comes out in history books.

ole

Was it T.R.: The Last Romantic by H.W. Brands?

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 01:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
ole

Mana: 

That's the one! Was working on putting away a few of the stacks and there it was! Just below Gottfried's "Maps of Gettysburg."

Loved that book!

ole

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 02:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

if yall could put four peoples faces in a rock who would you chose?

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 02:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Dixie Girl wrote: if yall could put four peoples faces in a rock who would you chose?
Maybe I would do a Civil War theme and do Grant and Lee, Sherman and Jackson. Guess I'd have to squeeze in Patrick Cleburne somehow...but you did just say four. 

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 03:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fan I like your choices, and yes Patrick must be there too. 

Susan

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 05:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Bama wouldn't Bragg and Butler be a little scary that big on a stone mountain?

Susan

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 05:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

well it dont have to be four, it could be as many as you want but i was just keeping in theme with the Mount Rushmore number.

my theme would probably be Guys That I Think Are Hot, its a very easy theme for a lot of people to appreciate and its also easy on the eyes.

Last edited on Fri Jul 18th, 2008 11:21 pm by Dixie Girl

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 05:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

well it dont have to be four, it could be as many as you want but i was just keeping in theme with the Mount Rushmore number.

my theme would probably be Guys That I Think Are Hot

Back to Mount Rushmore please. "Teen idols" is totally unrelated no matter how far you stretch. Tiger Beat or 16 magazine probably have threads for that :cool:

Current time is 12:49 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3862 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 29 queries executed.