Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Laugh out Loud - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Sep 14th, 2008 06:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
ole

Mana: 

Begin forwarded message:

While suturing a cut on the hand of a 75 year old rancher, who's hand was caught in the gate while working cattle, the doctor struck up a conversation with the old man. Eventually, the topic got around to Obama and his bid to be our president.

[size=+0]The old rancher said, 'Well, ya know, Obama is a 'Post Turtle' '.

[size=+0]Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a 'post turtle' was.

The old rancher said, 'When you're driving down a country road, and you come across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a 'post turtle' '.

[size=+0]The old rancher saw the puzzled look on the doctor's face, so he continued to explain, 'You know he didn't get up there by himself, he doesn't belong up there, and he doesn't know what to do while he's up there, and you just wonder what kind of dumbass put him up there to begin with'. 

[size= ]=

Last edited on Sun Sep 14th, 2008 06:34 am by ole

Posted: Sun Sep 14th, 2008 04:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

lol!!! now thats funny

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Sep 14th, 2008 07:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

'You know he didn't get up there by himself, he doesn't belong up there, and he doesn't know what to do while he's up there, and you just wonder what kind of dumbass put him up there to begin with'. 

"if you substituted GWB for Barak ....."

My thoughts exactly JDC. Good chance that in a few years, you'll be able to open Websters Dictionary and that will be the definition under GWB.

Posted: Sun Sep 14th, 2008 07:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

JDC and Joe , now I am laughing out loud.  Good subsitution.  Add to the list the governor of Alaska . 

Posted: Sun Sep 14th, 2008 07:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Well, at least I can rest assured that I wasn't one of the dumbasses when it comes to GWB. As for the other two, I guess we'll find out in November!

Pam

Posted: Sun Sep 14th, 2008 09:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

I agree.

Posted: Sun Sep 14th, 2008 11:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

yall quite knocking the president. theres no tellin just how crappy the next one is gonna be, and im gonna be the odd man out here and say that i like Bush and i think he's 10x's better than the next guy is gonna be

Posted: Sun Sep 14th, 2008 11:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Change is coming !

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 12:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Dixie -

You're just as entitled to your opinion as anyone else. I would caution however that by my calculations, GWB has been holding that office since you were 8 years old. You have nothing to compare him to. I will say that if you are correct, and GWB is "10x better" than the next - learn to speak Chinese real quick. In case you weren't aware of it, GWB allowed them to hold the second mortgage on this little home we call our country.

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 12:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

susansweet-

Hitler was change, too.

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 12:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I don't see Hitler running for President .

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 12:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Don't you see Susan? Someone had to play the Hitler card - he's the only one GWB compares favorably to.

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 12:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

susansweet-

You know very well that my point is that not all change is good.

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 12:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

javal 1-

As you say, we all have our opinions. Mine is that the last remark you made is very lame, indeed.

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 12:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

We will all know soon enough if change is good or bad.

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 12:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Wrap10

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: 'You know he didn't get up there by himself, he doesn't belong up there, and he doesn't know what to do while he's up there, and you just wonder what kind of dumbass put him up there to begin with'. 

"if you substituted GWB for Barak ....."

My thoughts exactly JDC. Good chance that in a few years, you'll be able to open Websters Dictionary and that will be the definition under GWB.

Bush will certainly not go down as one of our great presidents, but I suspect that future historians will have a better opinion of him than most people seem to have today. Mainly because of his unyielding war on terrorism. And whatever else we may say about him, the fact remains that in the seven years since 9/11, there have been exactly zero more attacks on the United States.

And whatever we may think of the decision to invade Iraq, Bush deserves credit for refusing to cut and run when virtually everyone seemed to be saying we should. He held firm and sought for a way to turn things around. He found it with the surge. Something that most of his opponents claimed could never possibly work. Even after evidence showed that it clearly was. If we're going to blame Bush for everything from $4 gas to grandma's house getting foreclosed on, we have to give him credit for helping keep the country safe from further attacks, and maintaining his resolve in Iraq while being flexible enough to alter the strategy.

As we know so well, time tends to give a different perspective. Bush may be vilified by a large part of the country, but had opinion polls been around during the Civil War, Lincoln's approval rating at times might have been measured on the fingers of one hand. When Truman left office he was considered a mediocre president by many, but in the years since his reputation has improved quite a bit. I'm not saying Bush will ascend to Lincolnesque heights. He won't. But he might wind up like Truman as time goes by.

As for the joke - I thought it was cute. But I'm voting for McCain, so what can you expect? :)

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 12:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

LOL - I'm crushed TD. Let's face it, you find all of my political positions "lame", just as I find yours. That's cool. I didn't bring up Hitler - you did. I gues you had a reason you just couldn't say "not all change is good". But whatever it is, I'm sure I'd find it lame....

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 01:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
TimK

Mana: 

What concerns me about this, and another very similar thread, is the polarization I see. Posters that normally carry on logical, interesting and sometimes humorous posts (remember when that poster called Wrap10 Warp10, and it was okay because of Star Trek), seem to be at each others throats. Even Hitler finds his way in. We, as a simple discussion group can't seem to respect when it comes to politics. How will our country come together if the paranoia about a new president works to divide us? This is the change I would like to see when the term of this incredibly polarizing president is over.

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 01:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Wrap,

Thanks for your input. As I'm sure you know, I disagree with most of it, but I appreciate a valid opinion from the opposition. A few things I take issue with:

"I suspect that future historians will have a better opinion of him than most people seem to have today."

As a student of history, I realize this often happens. Not this time IMO. When you have an administration based solely on secrets, those secrets come out over the years. In the case of the Bush cabal, from the reasons for the Iraq war to domestic spying to aiding corporate corruption, I just don't see it happening that way.

"And whatever else we may say about him, the fact remains that in the seven years since 9/11, there have been exactly zero more attacks on the United States."

Before 9/111 we had one other terrorist attack on our homeland - also the World Trade Center, in 1993 when Clinton was President. The next one was in 2001 when Bush was President. So actually Clinton prevented another terrorist attack for a longer period than Bush has, and he did it without yanking Civil Liberties, without launching a war of choice in the mid-east, and without taking world opinion towards us into the toilet. 

"He held firm and sought for a way to turn things around. He found it with the surge. Something that most of his opponents claimed could never possibly work. "

When I listen to Bush or McCain, it appears we've won the war thanks to the surge. Why do we still have almost 140,000 troops there? Truth is the surge was 50% successful. The purpose as I recall was to improve security so that Iraq became a stable, viable government. Exactly 1/2 of that has happened.

"I'm not saying Bush will ascend to Lincolnesque heights. He won't. But he might wind up like Truman as time goes by. "

I was actually thinking Martin Van Buren if he's lucky, and that's if there's not the Ricco prosecution he so richly deserves once he leaves office.

Seriously though, thanks for your input. At least you're going to vote.

Current time is 10:31 amPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4378 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 27 queries executed.