Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Laugh out Loud - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Sep 17th, 2008 11:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

javal 1-

I'm probably wasting my time here, but I'll tell you why I : "Played the Hitler card," as you put it. I invoked the example of Adolf Hitler only to illustrate just how bad some changes can be.

You, on the other hand, are so filled with hatred towards the current president that you would say (whether flippantly or not) that only Hitler, a man who murdered many millions, could be worse.

American presidents have included the good, the bad, and the ugly. We can argue which ones fit in which categories, but that would be a fruitless exercise. However, I would never put ANY US president in  the category of Adolf Hitler. I would be offended by the comparison even if made to any of those that I considered to be the worst US presidents.

Posted: Wed Sep 17th, 2008 11:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Tim,

I'll tell you right off, I'm not what I'd call political. I care deeply about our country, especially for the future that my son and the kids I teach will be living in, but I've come to view politics--left or right, though I'm more left than right--as the same old same old. I vote, and wouldn't choose not to, but I'm really in the need of some new something this time around. I know that some folks LOVE to debate the issues, but I'll stick to the past when I can, i.e. CW issues.

As for change, well, change is not good or bad, but it sure helps to know what you're changing to AND how you're going to get there AND what your role in that change will be. I'd feel better about this election if I could just know that!

Pam

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 04:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Right about what? That I hate GWB as a President? Yep - no argument here.

And I'm sure you believe that when someone wants to say not all change is good in referefence to a Presidential election, that bringing up Hitler is the obvious way to do it. Whatever, I'm done with this one.

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 04:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
ole

Mana: 

As for change, well, change is not good or bad, but it sure helps to know what you're changing to AND how you're going to get there AND what your role in that change will be. I'd feel better about this election if I could just know that!

Change is inevitable. Our question is what that change ought to be.

Both candidates advocate change. What disturbs me is that Obama's change seems to drift into government control. Although what he wants controlled seems logical and quite necessary, we're not talking about less government involvement, are we?

We seem to all agree that the change we want is to get a government that cares more about the country than re-election. I'm afraid we lost that somewhere back in the 1800s. So. Can we get back the good old days? The time when we sent someone to represent us who actually represented us?

They're all "post turtles." We've been too long dwelling on "they should." If you can't get on "we will," get back on the porch.
ole

Last edited on Thu Sep 18th, 2008 04:35 am by ole

You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 03:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
David White

Mana: 

)(_

Sadly the economic news of the past few days plays into the hands of Obama's view that more government oversight is needed.  But it is government insertion that helped cause the problem to begin with.  The reality is it was a bi-partisan effort by the parties that led to this deregulation fiasco.  So government involvement caused the problem and more government involvement is the answer?  Unfortunately the MSM does a good job of making the whole thing stick to the Republicans instead of shared equally like it should.

Of course the ultimate culprit is corporate greed at the top from Lehmann Brothers to Freddie Mac and Mae (who happen to be one of Obama's largest financial contributors, how's that for hope and change?) But the government caused this mess by essentially telling these corporate idiots go ahead play 13 and let is ride, if you hit it, you become fabulously and sinfully rich.  If you bust, the US government will have to bail you out or let the economy collapse.  The whole thing is a friggin' mess. #%$#)))(

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 05:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
ole

Mana: 

Amen.

ole

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 08:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

SS,

GWB has for 8 years kept us safe from OBL? LOL! I think that was more of an accident than a successful effort.

Oh, man, now I'm getting political. . .

Pam

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 09:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

My view (simplified) on the 2 current political parties in this nation are as follows- 1) Dems - believe we're too stupid to make our own decisions, therefore, we'll make them for you; 2) Repubs - we'll leave you alone and hope everything works out; Seems to me that theres a great deal of space in the middle ground.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 09:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
54th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Pam,

It seems as though we are, if not on the same page, at least in the same book. This thread is like an abyss that you can't get out of. Save yourself while there is still time.

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 10:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
shooter13

Mana: 

Who ran Freddie Mac? Democrat politiical appointees, cronies of the Clintons. Who got over 500,000 dollars from Freddie Mac---Oboma. Sounds like a Democratic slush fund to me, and they (Democrats)basically ripped the nation off and will get away with it.

Posted: Fri Sep 19th, 2008 03:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
David White

Mana: 

Doc says there is a big gulf between the parties and Bama says their ain't a nickel's difference, strangely I am nodding my head in agreement with both of them, why's that?

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Current time is 06:53 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2030 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 32 queries executed.