Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Last game at the mega - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 12:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Just got back from NYC for the Yankees final game in Yankee Stadium last night (hopefully not, if they do make it into the playoffs it'll be bigger than the last game in the stadium). Yes the running out of the actors portraying the '23 team was cheesy but to have the Yankee greats such as Larsen, Berra, sons of Mantle/Marris, etc. was great to see. I know there are many Yankee-haters out there, that's okay with me (that's what makes baseball baseball). Thank god we didn't play the dreaded Red Sox and they're obnoxious fans present. However, one does have to stop and awe what the stadium has stood for - the numerous hall of fame personalities who've played there (be them yankees or opposing team members), the other sports, i.e. possibly the greatest football game ever - giants vs colts, boxing matches - Joe Lewis vs Schmelling; Papal masses, concerts, etc. My vote was not to tear it down and move to the new one but to do a facelift of the present one (yes the concessions and rest room facilities stink but that could have been overhauled). The new one will hold fewer people, be more expensive. Enough said, it was a night I'll be able to tell my grandchildren about. Making plans and earning enough scratch to attend the first game in the new one in April.

Doc C

Posted: Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 12:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

I apologize for misspelling the title of this post. Should have been The Mecca. Been a long day.

Doc C

Last edited on Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 12:33 am by Doc C

Posted: Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Doc always wanted to see the House that Ruth built. I missed my chance.
Susan

Posted: Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 01:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

I'll be happy to send pics if you so desire.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 01:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV=428366049791_819028240308&collid=87378824508.363551140308.1222220575754&page=1

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 01:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Thanks Doc looks like a good night for baseball. The one that has several players standing at each position I take it are the players that have played that position ?
Susan

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 11:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Susan

You're correct. For instance, Yogi, Elston Howard's daughter at home plate; Reggie, Roger Marris's son in right field.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 12:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Boy , Doc those are names I remember well, even though I have been a lifelong Dodger Fan both when they were in Brooklyn and when they came to California.  Duke Snider was from my hometown so he was the local hero.  I was a young teen when the Dodgers came to L.A.  My father's boss had season tickets behind home plate .  We got them when he didn't want to use them.  Saw Sandy Koufax, Gil Hodges, Don Drysdale , Duke, PeeWee Reese and later Maury Wills to name a few .  My brother and I one day stood hanging over the railing as the players ran into the tunnel after workout.  None of them stopped to sign our program.  Most just ignored us. 

Don Drysdale came walking along yelling at a reporter to leave him alone as he came toward us.  We figured what the heck try it . We asked . His whole demeaner changed.

Sure kids I'll sign your program.  How are you today.  One of the great moments for two baseball addicted kids about 12 and 14.  That and the night we went to Duke Snider night . 

Oh both of us have autographed Duke Snider balls.  Only thing is mine is personal as it says to Susan Sweet best wishes Duke Snider.  Local sports writer was a friend of the family.  My brother's came from when he was a scout .  All the boys got a ball signed by Duke and a minor league local player.  Same sports writer had gotten them signed for all the BOYS in the troop.  I had gotten in line to get one and was told they were for the boys.  This is when Duke was still in Brooklyn.  Boy do I give my brother a hard time about the difference in the balls. 

Oh same man also got me a signed World series ball for the first Wold Championship in Los Angeles.  Count the hall of famers on that ball!!!  AND NO my brother doesn't have one of those.  hee hee . 

We had a grandmother who was a died in the wool baseball fan .  She was loyal to the Yankees as Mickey Mantle was from Oklahoma.  Big thrill for her was the last time she came to visit us the Angels were just starting to play in L.A. (at old Wrigley Field left over from Pacific Coast League)  She got to see her beloved Mickey play in person .  I was so excited for her. 

Take care Doc.  Thanks for sharing the memories . 

Susan

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 02:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Susan,
Do you remember Pete Reiser? Some say he would have been one of the all time greats if he had not played so hard! I know it sounds funny, but they claim he had "too much hustle" and shortened his career by crashing into the then "non padded" walls. He also took a few beanballs in the head (pre-helmet days) but he help bring batting helmets to the game.
I am sure he was a little before your time but the talk of the greats of baseball and the old parks made me think of Brooklyn and the "Sym-phony Band" and Hilda Chester and the cow bell and all the things I grew up hearing from my grandfather.
Thank you for the memories!
Devils Den

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 03:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Doc-
Congrats on getting to see the final game in that wonderful old piece of America! It is something that, though they are building a new stadium, can never be replaced.
I don't feel like baseball myths and legends (Mickey almost hitting the ball out of the stadium, the 27 Yanks, Larson's perfect game, and on and on and on), even though they will be talked about in the new stadium, will not be the same knowing they took place elsewhere.
Well, Fenway is the only American league spot where the "gods have strolled" now. The rest of the new parks will all have legends, but none can come close to the things that Yankee Stadium saw in her day.
I will miss her!
Devils Den

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 03:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I remember reading about Pistol Pete.  How he would crash into that wall .  He did have hustle .   I was so addicted to baseball when the Dodgers came to L.A. I wrote a term paper on the history of baseball.  Had a fine collection of baseball cards too.  The cards sad to say were given to a younger neighbor when I got too old to be such a fan.  As many say I could have made a fortune in those 1950 era cards.  I had so many future hall of famers

Susan

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 03:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

I LOVE early era baseball stuff.
My grandfather (would would have been 100 this year) was a huge fan who happened to be frieds with a couple of pretty fair players in their day, Jimmie Foxx and Lefty Grove of the Philadelphia Athletics. He constantly pushed me to appreciate the difference in the era's and styles of the game.
And of course,when I take my school kids to Gettysburg and we are doing day 1, I always show them Doubleday's statue, almost directly across from the spot where JFR was shot, and explain that the "Father of Baseball" was there also.
D.D.

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 04:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Something I have often read but have never known, what exactly did Abner Doubleday do to make him the Father of Baseball?

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 05:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
David White

Mana: 

Some guy named Abner Graves (who murdered his wife), said Doubleday invented it at Cooperstown. But at that time, Doubleday was a cadet at WP. So there is no verifiable connection to baseball.   Doubleday never made any claims about it. The game actually came from your home country, where it was known as rounders.

Doubleday does hold a patent for the San Francisco cable car system, however.

Last edited on Wed Sep 24th, 2008 05:10 pm by David White

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 05:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Thanks guys.
Rounders is still played over here by young schoolkids. I went to my first baseball game when I was in Florida earlier this year, Tampa Bay Rays v. Toronto Bluejays, had a great night, terrific atmosphere. Baseball is definitly on the "to do" list for next time in the States.

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 11:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Great book out called Baseball in Blue and Gray about base ball during the Civil War .  Written by George B. Kirsch.  It discusses the Doubleday myth and much much more.

Susan

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 11:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

My wife, of 32 years, said Sunday night that my Christmas present this year will be tickets to the first game in the new Yankee stadium. WHAT A WOMAN.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 11:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Doc great Christmas present .  I hope your present for her is just as great.

Susan

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 11:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Miss Susan

That's why I still work part time.

Doc C

Last edited on Wed Sep 24th, 2008 11:44 pm by Doc C

Current time is 08:51 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3770 seconds (17% database + 83% PHP). 26 queries executed.